RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 AM

Hi!

If you want some guidelines that you can use to judge the entries on, just look in the March contest discussions under Ro's suggestion. I'm going to use those and a few more like creativity and originality. Not that the last two would mean that's who would win, because you don't know how high up the totem pole the other catagories are leading.

Isn't this a great contest? I just love looking at everyone's variations on the entries. And I must admit, guilty as charged. I changed my entry several times already, but not what I had done to my entry. I just couldn't get it to upload and look like it did in PS. I got some good suggestions on how to do it from Gary and T Paul. T I'll use yours next entry. I hope Ro's suggestions help you out soleah!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 01:23 PM

reply to size

I found that I had trouble with the 100K limit as well. I opened my jpg in ImageReady, made necessary adjustments and it came out fine at the smaller size. might be worth a try for some of ones posted so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 01:26 PM

Thank you Ms Bay.

... I knew byRo's suggestions. But I thought, it only applies to colorization. After reading it again, well...

Last edited by soleah; 04-14-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 PM

Judging will come down to your own opinion--what do you think of the photo and how it met the contest challenge:

Your challenge was to transform the wedding photo (portrait.tif) into a polished wedding portrait. You were also suppose to add a smile to the bride and remove the groom’s five o’clock shadow. Then it was up to you to decide what else needed to be done in order to create a wedding portrait that the bride and groom would be proud to hang on their wall. The finally note was that the photo must remain as a photo.

A few things I would look for:

Composition: Does the photo emphasize the bride and groom. Are the horizontals horizontal and the verticals vertical? Has it been over/under cropped?

Retouching: Noise removal, object removal (things that are distracting), color correction (is there a color cast), tidying up (gaps, clothes wrinkles, yellow teeth, dull eyes, crooked ties, hot spots and so on)

Manipulation: Does the added smile look natural? How does the groom’s face look? Do any new elements looks unnatural/out of place?

Final Appearance: Would you be happy of the work if you were the bride or groom?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
Just one point. I posted my retouch and noted that its appearance was different from what I saw when I used the save for web command in photoshop. So I edited it and increased the contrast. I guess the point is that the poster should be able to edit his or her photos within a short time period of posting it.
Does my retouch look washed out and yellow to anyone? I'm wondering if it too is the cause of "save for web"

Please let me know,

S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM

washed out - NO!

I think it loos great! Of course, I'm on my computer at work so not sure how it is on my monitor at home (much better CRT).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Looks really good, no pixellation or posterisation, how did you save it to get such a good posting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 03:21 PM

I'm not really sure. I was working with sRGB color settings in Photoshop and I actually worked "at size" 600x800 @ 200 dpi. I then used the "save for web" command, set for .jpg and played with the quality slider until it was just under 100 kbs.

I'm running on a Mac here at the office and all my web preview windows make things look yellow and washed out. I'm glad you guys cannot see it in the way I am.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Guess next time we have a contest with a large file I'll try resizing before I do any work on it.

PS. Love your entry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Preparing photos for the Internet

Some thought on saving images for the web:

Photography: Preparing photos for the Internet

Saving images for the web

Saving Photos for Web

Processing Digital Images for Web Presentation
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests