RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-14-2005, 01:26 PM

All very interesting, but none explain why a 800x600 pix image, compressed to 100K, which views satisfactorily on my screen, without pixellation or posterisation, does not do so when uploaded and displayed at RP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Janitor

There's no processing of any sort done to attached images here. The file displayed is (quite literally) the exact file uploaded. Try viewing your local file in a web browser instead of in Photoshop. If it looks different, then there's something set incorrectly in the PS color management (might be worth another thread). If it looks the same in your web browser and Photoshop but different when uploaded here, call an exorcist
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2005, 01:38 AM

My most abject and sincere apologies Doug, just looked at it in Widows Picture and Fax viewer, and it looks as posted, will have to check settings in PS, either that or check it when it's dark and I don't have light on my screen.

Thanks for your forbearance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2005, 06:31 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about! Grafx, your posting is so pretty and clear. That is what I was trying to do. I went back and changed my settings to sRGB and overly contrasted the picture. The color came out better, but the colors are still not as sharp and clear as it is in PS. I guess you have to change that setting when you're doing it from scratch. But since the color is better, I think I had better leave well enough alone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 05:46 AM

I haven't really taken the opportunity up to now to thank Doug (and moderators) for the wonderful resource of this site. The more I read the more I love it.

This contest was wonderful fun. I haven't done anything that involved retouching like this before, but it reminded me of how much I enjoyed creating collaged greeting cards as a teenager, with all the cutting, pasting and resizing. Guess my interests haven't really changed so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 12:46 PM

editing

I just read the discussion about editing a picture after you've post it. I just want to give my opinion about it.

I edited my post several times. I see this contest as a way for me to learn how to use photoshop and everytime when I learn something new I try it out on the picture for the contest and then resubmit it if it looks better.

It wouldn't be a real problem to wait untill the last few days before the deadline and then submit it but I am the kind of person that forgets to submit it if I wait

and if you think someone copied an idea from someone else you just dont rank him as high.

regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 06:34 PM

As I was reading the comments on this thread I hought " this is a site for learning and sharing of ideas and techniques", how ever this is a contest and as such I think once a pic is submitted it sould stand on its own merrits. but after the voting is done i think the thread should be reopened for the first five place winners to post the steps they used to ascheive their results
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Can someone explain the rationale behind the 600x800 pix requirement? Some of these pics (especially the conservative crops with smaller faces) really suffer from lost facial details. If the pic size is kept below the 100k limit what's the harm in allowing pixel dimensions that prevent fuzzy faces?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Janitor

800px guarantees everyone can view it at 100%, so no compression or zooming artifacts are introduced. It also allows everyone's entry to be judged at the same resolution, and was determined a long time ago to be about the top end of what can be handled by a 100k filesize.

You can feel free to link to a higher-rez version, for discussion or to simply show your work at its best, but the 800px images are the ones used for voting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 PM

I've noticed that a lot of entries have not been named after their owners. This may cause some difficulty when it comes time to vote.

Quote:
4. When you submit your entry put your username in the filename (ie: tpaul.jpg). This is so users can save the images to a local directory and remember who did what.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests