RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-24-2005, 12:11 PM

Deleted and leaving this forum due to the actions of member rondon

Last edited by chrishoggy; 03-22-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 PM

hi,

i found this site on monday. i registered on tuesday and didnt look at the contest topic until today. thus, i wasnt in time to enter the actual contest. nonetheless, i decided to do a version up myself and am posting it here. i just liked the photo and the challenge

the rules said to give her a smile and remove his 5 o'clock shadow. i notice a lot of folks cut and pasted in from the source files. i didnt. i used the warp tool and simply turned the edges of her mouth up a bit to give her a closed-mouth smile. and as for his shadow, it appeared to me he has a moustache, so i left that intact, since that wouldnt really be part of a 5 o'clock shadow.

at any rate, i was curious for any comments anyone might make on my version.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding-1-k-1c.jpg (95.1 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Kraellin, I find your version of the wedding photo very nice. Only one thing, by turning up her mouth, you made her chin look long. Moving her smile down just a tad would have made her face look more balanced to me. Just my opinion, but overall a nice portrait.

One other thing, if someone could answer it for me. Why didn't most of you fix his tie. From my wedding and some others that I have attended, his shirt should have a closed collar. The shirts made with the open collar don't have the long "lapel" collar with it. They are either one or the other. Am I out of date with wedding fashion?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Bay
Kraellin, I find your version of the wedding photo very nice. Only one thing, by turning up her mouth, you made her chin look long. Moving her smile down just a tad would have made her face look more balanced to me. Just my opinion, but overall a nice portrait.

One other thing, if someone could answer it for me. Why didn't most of you fix his tie. From my wedding and some others that I have attended, his shirt should have a closed collar. The shirts made with the open collar don't have the long "lapel" collar with it. They are either one or the other. Am I out of date with wedding fashion?
I agree about the tie Ms Bay see my comments on the voting forum
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM

I DID fix the tie, lapel. First thing. Didn't help.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 PM

Hi Kreallin,
Nice work. I think the close-mouthed smile in the original is as far as it can go. You can't turn it up any further.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 12:37 AM

I find these contest now comical. Is so amazing how so many people see so many different things in so many different ways. Everyones screens show different colors at different sizes and so forth. So the whole contest ends up being a crap shoot. I am a graphic designer working on a mac and I have spent hundreds of dollars on calibration hardware and software for my monitors. Mine are setup to Heildelberg digital presses. So I know when I design something it will print at the exact color on my screen. But the average windows user has never even changed their factory settings and their screens are way to saturated in the red channel. Especially LCD and laptops screens, Hince the reason why people say mine looks to red. But it is probably the reason why I think Jamies is to flat for my taste because I have my red balanced low. I design by the numbers skin should be not the look of it, if you learn the number ratios you will always be right no matter whos monitor sees it. For my 2 cents I think the bride and groom should vote on this so we can see an opinion of someone who lives with these faces day in and day out. They would recognize who has the more natural look. I also think we need to have EXACT voting guidlines for the next contest. Looks like T-Paul tried to give them to us but not to many people listended. Well that was my 2 cents... Good job everyone on your entries, see ya next contest!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthanddesign
Everyone's screens show different colors at different sizes and so forth. So the whole contest ends up being a crap shoot. I am a graphic designer working on a mac and I have spent hundreds of dollars on calibration hardware and software for my monitors. Mine are setup to Heildelberg digital presses. So I know when I design something it will print at the exact color on my screen. But the average windows user has never even changed their factory settings and their screens are way to saturated in the red channel. Especially LCD and laptops screens, Hince the reason why people say mine looks to red. But it is probably the reason why I think Jamies is to flat for my taste because I have my red balanced low. I design by the numbers skin should be not the look of it, if you learn the number ratios you will always be right no matter whos monitor sees it.
I appreciate what you're saying rhd, and I am certainly even more guilty than many of having no dealings with proper colour calibration (working here on my little 12" laptop screen). I'm sure my colour balance is nothing like yours. Though based on the testing I have done not too bad I think...

But having said that, these things are still a matter of taste as well. I can see that your skin colours are more realistic (based on my totally uncalibrated screen!), however I think that sometimes colours in photos - even skin colour - can look more pleasing to the eye cooled down a notch or two. It's all related to mood, as well as personal preference. Photographic images aren't science no matter how much we may want them to be. They are an art. Maybe if we were restoring an image of a Rembrandt where faithful colour reproduction is crucial; but this is a mood peice - just as the couple don't want to remember themselves with dark circles under their eyes, they may also be happy to remove a little of the redness from their nose

This isn't a professional competion, so I don't think we can have professional standards for rules etc. (Apart from anything else it would wipe 70% of us out I think!) I agree though that the more everyone can work off the same basic concepts, colour settings, understanding of the rules etc the calmer the whole process will be :-) However given that there is a big range of skill, experience etc here I think it has to be accepted that this is the standard that will be judged and be judging. I thought it was fun, and a good exercise. And I learned a bit too (Always watch out for those crooked windows *lol*) A few votes is nice too - but just a cherry on top

It's a shame there seem to be a lot of people not voting though! (Unless they are all going to put their entries in as a last minute dash)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 AM

I agreed with righthanddesign about that the bride and groom would recognize better than any of the participants which image has the more natural look, etc, and therefore, would like to hang on their wall. With Caitlin, I’m also surprise about the few of the people who are voting considering the high number of participants, but perhaps they are waiting until the last minute.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 11:43 AM

ms bay,

thank you

i took your comment about her chin to heart and took another look at it. i had noticed this also when doing the retouch. so, i went back and looked at this again and even went as far as overlaying the original selection over the retouched one. it's the same size, so i didnt alter the chin at all. i only turned the corners of her mouth up a bit. still, the apparency is that it might be larger. and i tend to believe that apparencies are often more important than realities also, she just plain has a fairly large chin; not quite a jay leno chin, but it's prominent to begin with.

also, maybe i'm missing something here, but what's wrong with the tie? his collar looks closed to me, or is this an angle thing, perspective?

i'll also make a comment about folks posting one entry and then pulling it and placing another. i liken this to showing a client a given piece of work and they're not quite happy with it as is. so, you re-work it a bit and show it to them again until you get it how they want it. so, i dont see much wrong with this. the work has a deadline. the client must have it by a certain time and it's the same with the contest. as long as the work is DONE by x time, then ok, it doesnt matter how many revisions it took.

as for the monitor calibration, i've a question here. i know monitors can be 'off' by a fair amount, as i've changed monitors on a system before and can get quite a different view of things at times. but, wouldnt you be alerted to this if your prints come out quite a bit differently from the look on your monitor, either in luminosity or color? also, someone posted a link to a web site for calibrating your monitor, but wasnt that only for luminosity/gamma? does anyone know of a site where you could calibrate for color/hue? and righthanddesign, what calibration software do you use?

also, i've done up another version of the wedding photo, this time with a fuller smile.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding-1-k-1f.jpg (97.4 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests