1) RightHandDesign: Heads are nicely framed in the window. Great job on the hands. Really liked the window showing thru the veil. It was really hard to pick out any veil detail on the one side.
2) Jaime: I had a tough time choosing between this and Soleah. Jaime' s is natural with nice light. Pants were fixed but I was disappointed that so many distractions were left on the walls and not removed.
3) Soleah: Really nice job. Edges pretty straight (not perfect), natural coloring except for skin tones which were flat and overdosed with Cyan.
4)TPaul: Very natural but didn't like the removal of the hand as it took away a bit of the intimacy IMHO.
5) Veniveci: I picked this for the Wow factor. Loved the light and the placement of Jesus and his hands. Thought the couple looked a little cutout and could have blended with the background a little better.
Honorable mentions go to Endymion, Alterdimage, Grafx, Dreamypix and Caitlin.
Just a heads up, I will be tallying the votes as they come in, so edits (votes changes) will not be allowed. Once you vote, that's it.
Congratulations to everyone that entered and did such a fine job with the portraits. I found it hard to narrow my choices down to five, as there were so many nice entries.
I feel that my five choices all have good composition, look natural, and have good color. The bride and groom are presented in a pleasing way and are the focal point of the portrait. I quess it just came down to personal preference of what I would like on my wall.
My choices are: 1. soleah
Please take consider of my poor expression skill in English.
And comments are based on my personal taste when viewing on my monitor setting.
1. endymi0n 2. righthanddesign 3. Jaime 4. soleah 5. caitlin
1. Racca Iria 2.righthanddesign 3. Caitlin 4. soleah 5. Jaime
(because they want a smile face, especially a matter of 'line of sight' considered)
1. Jaime 2. endymi0n 3. soleah 4. Caitlin 5. righthanddesign
1. soleah 2. Jaime 3. endymi0n 4. Caitlin 5. righthanddesign
skin tone & atmosphere
1. Jaime 2. endymi0n 3. righthanddesign 4. soleah 5. Caitlin
p.s. It took me more than half hour to write down these comments. (already time to go to bed )
First, I want to say thanks to Caitlin for posting the photo album . I know it made the job of evaluation a lot easier for me.
I found it difficult to come up with a number one or even a top 5 there are so many good entries. So here they are:
Honorable mention: This distinction goes out to everybody who entered this contest. I think you all deserve a round of applause!!
Started with the guidelines for the contest. ("Client specs" if you will.) By eliminating those way off from the requested 800x600 dimensions (presumably for the client's picture frame), I narrowed the field down to 36.
Applying the "keep it as a photo" spec further reduced the field to 26.
It's really a shame to do it this way, as I think some of the best actual retouching was eliminated. However I don't think customer specifications are something to be lightly tossed to the wind.
Out of the 26, the main criterion I used was "does the photo look like it's been doctored". Based on this (picking the ones that look least doctored to me), out of those that met spec, I picked these five in order:
1. caitlin - The main objectives (smile for the bride and shave for the groom) were done seamlessly-for all practical purposes flawlessly. Skin tones are very well done.
2. JohnMc - Same as above, except the bride's face is almost imperceptibly off somehow that I can't quite put my finger on. Excellent work aligning the background.
3. pjulich - Also very realistic and on a par with the top two except for the washed-out quality and the slight yellow cast.
4. righthanddesign - excellent color balancing throughout. Bride's face is perhaps a bit low and groom's face perhaps a bit too smooth on the cheeks, but this is almost imperceptible.
5. T Paul - Same as above, between 4 & 5 here it pretty much came down to the background and overall feel to me. Bride's face is possibly a pixel or two bigger than it ought to be also, but it's hard to say.
Last edited by Hephaestos; 04-25-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: to add comments
I found voting on this very hard, and at one point didn't want to vote at all. This was mainly down to the number of entries that went beyond retouching. There were some entries that had the couple very clear, but ran away with background changes, effects and boarders. This to me made the entry photo art, rather than a plain photo (as requested). One of the main things I look for is a photo that looks as though it hasn't been touched. When I say this, I mean that anybody looking at it would say "what a great photographer" not "what a great retouch job".
Here are my votes:
1/ Soleah. This one stood out from all the rest for me. The only fault I found was the picture was still slightly leaning to the left. Other than that I found the lighting colours and composition excellent and natural. I would be proud to hang that picture on my wall.
2/ Gary Richardson. Although the picture is a bit noisy, the brides smile looks natural and was blended well. The background change was well thought out, but needed to be straightened. Again it looked like an untouched photo.
3/ Racc Iria. This one has only one problem for me, and that is the noise created by the brightening of the photo. With that noise removed, this would have been a very nice picture.
4/ righthanddesign. This one has been thought out well, but the window seems very bright and draws you away from the couple. The skin tones are also a bit bright, but I like the composition.
5/ Doug Colwell. This was one that I had trouble deciding on. The photo itself looks well, but the brides skin tone lets it down. The golden brown toned skin makes the brides smile stand out too much for me, and makes her look fake. If the skin tones had been more natural, this would have been a close run for first place.
Good luck to all
Don't forget when voting, to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Last edited by T Paul; 04-24-2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos
Can I please request that no-one posts links to the photo album of entries elsewhere? It uses up my bandwidth un-necesarily, and I think is also not completely fair to entrants to have their entries displayed out of context.
Last edited by Caitlin; 04-24-2005 at 07:17 PM.
1.venivedi (wow what an atmosphere!!!)
2.Dreamypix (very clean and crisp i like this one)
3.neve (very natural!)
4.Racc Iria (the smile is very natural on the girl)
5.Ms-Bay (Love the atmosphere feel!)
Caitlin thank you for doing the gallery your a credit to the forum!
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Apr 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||18||04-30-2007 08:22 PM|
|Mar 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||16||03-31-2007 06:50 PM|
|Feb 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||16||02-27-2007 05:14 PM|
|Feb 06 Contest Votes||byRo||Contests||28||03-01-2006 07:15 AM|
|April 05 Contest||T Paul||Contests||62||06-30-2005 04:46 PM|