Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I think we should let the Bride and Groom vote also. That would be very cool in my book!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by righthanddesign
I think we should let the Bride and Groom vote also. That would be very cool in my book!
Brilliant idea! I don't know if there is something similar in other countries, but here in Australia we have a national portrait competition that also has a 'packing room prize'. Always tends to be more the 'common man' vote. If this couple still exist (and are still together ) a final vote from them of what THEY would put on their wall would be great. But I think it would have to be after all our votes are in and tallied so it doesn't impact anyones voting.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM
This is a very hard contest to judge from all of the wonderful entries that came in. Congrats to all who entered!

I judged from:
a.) the ones that followed all of the directions
b.) the most natural looking
c.) the color balance along with the creativity used
d.) emphasis on bride and groom
e.) the ones that I would most like to keep as my wedding portrait

The finalist were:

1. Alteredimage - beautiful
2. RAcc Iria - the dreamy look was nice
3. Jamie - teeth a little too white, but contrast of colors was lovely
4. righthand design - bride and groom emphasized excellently
5. soleah - great contrast with couple against the background
Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
My vote:

1. Venivedi - Great composition, very creative, nice overall color tone and balance
2. Righthanddesign
3. Caitlin - I guess a tigher cropping will improve (And thanks for the web album. It helps a lot)
4. Grafx
5. JohnMc

Thomas Foo
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 AM
First, my thanks to Caitlin for the Web Album, this made the first stage of judging easier. I did my first viewing using her site, then copied the ones I'd narrowed down to from RP to a folder on my PC for closer study.

With the exception of Soleah's entry, this was not an easy contest to make a decision on. The standard of all the entries was high, and there were a lot of different interpretations to choose from.

My final choices were as follows.

1st Soleah, This was the easiest choice for me to make, IMO it stood out from the rest. The colour correction was excellent, perspective and levels had been dealt with well, and the lighting and contrast were beautifully done.

2nd Jaime, Another fairly easy choice. My reason for placing this second, was the slight magenta tone to the image, and the couple were a bit too contrasty in respect to the background, to make the image look natural.

3rd Racc Idia, Like Jaime's effort, this too had a slight tint, but I liked the overall feel of this one, could have done with the facial features of the couple sharpening slightly, but I liked this one a lot.

4th Hephaestos, The faces of the couple did'nt look quite right in this one, (hard to say why not). Colour correction was good, and levels and perspective had been dealt with well.

5th T Jacobs, Slight colour tint on this one, but again, I liked the feel of the image.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Thank you, Caitlin, for the posting the album.

It was extremely difficult to narrow the entries down to the final five. I liked so many of them.

These are the five that I chose as winners:

1. righthanddesign - Excellent color and clarity. Seamless integration of the new facial features. The portrait is very natural looking. I like the slightly desaturated background that makes the couple stand out beautifully.

2. Caitlin - Excellent restoration work on the couple. The overall golden tone is a nice look.

3. JohnMc - Very natural looking restoration. Good integration of the new facial features. Good positioning of the couple.

4. Soleah - There is a wonderful crispness and yet a softness to the portrait. The facial retouching is very good and natural looking. I wish the photo had been cropped to show more of a close up of the bride and groom.

5. TPaul - Crisp, clean and natural looking. Good positioning with the crop to bring the couple into the main focus. The removal of the groom's hand from the bride's waist was the only drawback.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 AM
My vote..

This was difficult. The main things I had trouble with in the entries was a magenta cast in the skin tones in many entries, the stained glass window distracting from the bridal couple,and the groom's shadows under the eyes A bridal portrait I think should have a soft natural radiance aout it so I looked for this, as well as good skin tones and a good composition. So after much going back and forth my vote is
1. Righthand design - soft natural glow about it; nice composition.
2.Graphx - a close second. Slightly warmer skin tones might have made it first.
3.Lorraine - good focus on the bridal couple; good clarity and warmth.
4.Caitlin - nice job but background seems a little crooked and has too much magenta in skin for me.
5.Cedwar - nice invisible touchup job. Skin could have had a little more warmth but very nice composition.
Honorable mentions - everybody but especially Soleah, TPaul, Twin BNJ,
Old 04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
my vote

Great work everyone! It was tough to judge.
Everyone seems to have such different intrepretations of the contest.
My 2 cents on making edits - why not? As long as your post is in by the deadline. I make edits to am image after I think I'm done all the time. As long as I have it done for the client when they expect it back - why not try to make it better?
That is what this is about - learning from one another!

Here's my vote-

1. Cedwar
2. Caitlin
3. Jaime
4. JohnMc
5. denscherder

Old 04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
April Vote

Another tough one, but here are my choices:

1. Jaime - looked natural, like it was really shot that way. Crisp, clean and the subjects stand out from the background well.
2. RightHandDesign - looked believeable, nothing jumped out, which is a good thing!
3. Endymi0n - just liked the overall look even though the bride's smile was not modified.
4. Dreamypix - One of the best for the groom. Bride's smile looks a bit too big to me otherwise it would have been higher on my list.
5. Cedwar - once again looked natural on my screen.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I saw many excellent entries. Too bad it had to come down to just 5. Here are my votes and reasons. My critiques are my own opinions and I wish that mine had turned out as good as any of these 5.
1. Lorraine - The bride and groom had depth. The skin tone was excellent. I guess the background set them off for me better than the busy background of the photo. I used the actual background myself but after seeing this I wish I had tried a different background. The smile is very natural and the translucence of the veil was very good.
2. Jaime I really liked the job you did on the dress. One of the reasons that I cropped mine was that I was not successful in getting the train right. There was good depth, the lighting was very well thought out. It brought focus on the couple.
3. 1stlite entry - I liked the cropping on this one and the clarity of the couple. The skin tone seemed a little dark and unnatural but otherwise a winner.
4. righthanddesign - I liked the cropping on this picture and the nice clean lines. The skin tone seemed to be too red for me.
5. alteredimage - I thought that this picture was very well done in terms of the detail Actually, the variation in the background I found to be distracting. Took my eyes away from the couple. None the less it was an outstanding job.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests