Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Here are my votes:

1. Caitlin – Good overall restoration.
2. Freddianne – A clean restoration. The baby’s face looks charming.
3. Pictureman33 - Another very nice restoration but a little grainy.
4. Suchyy - Good impression but a little soft.
5. Gary Richardson - Great job with the baby’s face and eyes (looks very natural).

Congratulations to all the participants.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Hard one to judge, as peoples opinion on what restoration/reconstruction means are so different.
1/ Cazubi : Needed a bit of the noise removing from the photo, but over all a nice looking restoration.
2/ Doug Colwell : The restoration was good, but the centre childs eyes just didn't sit right in the picture for me. Can't put my finger on why they don't look right, but IMO they looked wrong.
3/ Flora : Again a nice job, but the eyes on middle child seemed a little too big for the face IMO.
4/ Gary Richardson : Very true to the original, but I thought it needed a bit more doing to the clothing and bottom left corner.
5/ Pictureman_3 : Again true to the original, but the boarder/frame let it down.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:54 PM
May 5 Voting

Ok,here is my take.

Personally, I don't know what people were/are looking at for this one, given the order and selection of winners. However, I will continue to put down my own preferences based on the rules as I understand them - "the buyer is always right" :-)

A little reasoning behind my choices - I sought the following:

1) Where the picture retained the feel and look of the original piece, sans tears, blurs etc... preferred original hue/sat

2) Where clothes detail was recovered from the picture and not guessed at (researched) by the "artistes" - even if more detailed . I found this quite disconcerting and beyond the scope of recovering the detail from the picture.

3) Where the picture retained the original grain of the picture and had not been replaced, smudged, guass'ed or otherwise smoothed -

4) Where unrecoverable pieces (foot and hand) were either left alone or recovered with a minimum of "interpretation"

5) Where the speed of the restore was considered

6) Where the picture was most like the original. While I was not an ethusiast of the borders on the picture, they were well done and if the border had not been present, they would have moved up in the ranking.

It is with these things in mind, that I found

1) Gary Richardson - hands down the fastest and best
2) Freddieanne - a very nice piece of work
3) Smats - nice, kept to the era, no guessing on clothing, foot left
4) Suchyy nice- was not a fan of the border
5) Pictureman_33 as in 4
Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Due to the holiday weekend, I most likely will not have the results posted until Tuesday 31 May, but you can always tally them up yourself to eliminate the suspense
Old 05-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Congratulations to all the entrants. I learned a great deal by examining the entries. Having struggled with the picture myself, I could appreciate the workmanship. In determining my vote I considered the goals set forth in the contest. Many of the entries were excellent so in the final analysis I considered the result from the standpoint of what I would want to pay for as a customer. I would want as close to the original as possible - especially in the faces. The babies face was a challenge and some copied the eyes from the boy or rebuilt them in a way that did not seem to fit the face. The winners below were outstanding in this aspect.
1. freddieann
2. Caitlin
3. Chrishoggy
4. cazubi
5. Doug Colwell
Old 05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
This was so hard to judge!
An incredible amount of talent out there.
My votes are based on which entries are kept as true to the original as possible, including colour, grain, and of course the quality of restoration.

1) Caitlin
2) Pictureman33
3) Cazubi
4) Freddieanne
5) Smats
Old 05-29-2005, 09:02 AM
My Votes

Well, here goes my picks. It was very hard to choose, there are a lot of good photo restoration people here on this site.
I really liked seeing all the different approches people took to restoring this photo. As everyone found out this was not an easy restore job, I know I could have spent a lot more time on it than I did.
I made my votes based on how close to the original era the picture was kept.

Here are my picks:

1) Flora
2) Freddieanne
3) Caitlin
4) Cazubi
5) Suchyy

Great job everyone!!

PS: Thanks! Caitlin for the web-space to store all the photos on, it was a great help having all the photos on one page.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Well the votes are in.

The winner of the May Contest and the recipient a copy of Photoshop for Right-Brainers: The Art of Photo Manipulation by Al Ward. Donated by Sybex is....

Feel free to ask questions and continue discussing this contest in the May 05 Contest Discussion Thread.

Top 5
1. Caitlin - 78 points
2. Pictureman33 - 43 points
3. Freddieanne - 42 points
4. TIE Doug Colwell -37 points
Flora - 37 points

P.S. Want to know your exact ranking, just send me a PM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (98.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Caitlin.jpg (97.1 KB, 48 views)
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests