Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 PM
May 05 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 23 May to 29 May 2005. Deadline for votes is 5pm EDT 29 May 2005.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Voting is now open!

All the contest entries have been loaded into one gallery courtesy of Caitlin.

You can view them here

Last edited by T Paul; 05-23-2005 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 05-23-2005, 09:36 AM
As always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 AM
My Vote

This was great to see all the varied entries! Here are my favorites:

#1. Caitlin - Awesome job! I'd hire you in a heartbeat! Can't wait to learn how you did this - I do hope you share some of your secrets, especially getting that mold out!
#2. Ms. Bay - it made me smile - not sure what it is but it made me smile as soon as I opened it :-)
#3. Flora - you were the one I kept referring to when I was working on mine - you pushed me to work a little harder!
#4. Suchyy - great job!
#5. Racc Iria - also great job!

Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 PM
well, i think the voting was almost as hard as doing the picture. there was quite a range of techniques, detail, reconstruction and so on. it was fairly easy to bring the list of contestants down to 10, but after that it got quite difficult. a lot of folks missed on the baby's face. that was key to me, as that was where the most critical damage was done. some failed to correct the offset from the top part and the bottom part of the major rip. others restored the eyes, but they were looking the wrong direction. if you zoomed in on them you could tell which way she was looking.

the basic picture is the 3 kids, particularly their faces, and those that didnt get those fairly close, i cut right away, even if the rest of their work was good. after that it was their dress and then the background stuff and floor.

the clothing was a bit tricky. some picked up quite a bit of detail and others chose the ambiguous route, choosing not to try and pick it up. mostly, if they got some detail but didnt leave the clothing 'dirty', then it was ok in my book. i did like that some picked it up quite well, but it was secondary thing to me.

after that, it was the background work and detail. most folks seemed to pick up quite a bit of detail here. a few fudged on it or wiped it pretty badly. one even cropped part of it out.

but that still only brought me down to about 7 entries and from there it got quite difficult. i did side by side comparisons, judging mostly on the overall look. i even brought up the original work and compared each to that.

finally, i managed to cut out the last two...reluctantly. and this was my final result:

1. Caitlin
2. Doug Colwell
3. Gary Richardson
4. Pictureman_33
5. Freddieanne

caitlin did a marvelous job. the faces are all done very well. detail was shown in the dresses and a lot of the background was picked up quite nicely. noise was reduced and smudges/corruptions removed quite well. on the down side, the baby's dress is a bit too white and could have been faded down a bit and the detail work in the wrought iron could have been a bit more. i'd have also gone with reducing the sepia tone, but i chalked that up to a personal choice rather than a mistake. so all in all, this is first place work.

doug also got all the faces well. i didnt like his clothing as much, however. where he did pick up some detail there, the overall effect was a bit dirty/smudged. still, a very good job! all of the major points were restored well. the background could have had a bit more work done on it, again, around the wrought iron pieces. compared to caitlin's the overall look was a bit more smudged. another sharpness might have helped. but remarkable work.

i liked gary's detail quite a bit, but i think he sacrificed cleaning up the clothing to get it. basically, he brought out a lot of detail all over, but then didnt clean a number of areas up, leaving dirty areas here and there. he got all the faces very well, detail in the clothing and background and removed the major tears, bends and so on nicely. the only real complaint was the leaving of those 'dirty' areas, mostly in the clothing, but some in the background as well.

i almost cut pictureman's early on, but it just kept catching my eye. i finally figured out what it was i liked and disliked and he made my number 4 spot after the final overall comparison. what i liked was the great detail work. excellent! what i didnt like was the noise he left. had he cleaned out a bit more of that, he would have easily been my winner. and in all fairness, had i printed out on paper all of the pictures, i believe the printer might have made him the winner too.

i also almost cut freddieanne because of the baby's face. though it was a great job, it differed from what i saw in the original. there was good detail all around, especially the clothing. some of the clothing was bit too bright, the baby's dress and the boy's shirt, but i liked the extra attention he put, particularly on the older girl's dress. there was good detail all around and the overall effect was quite professional. a bit of detail was missed on the wrought iron, those little white petal things on that one piece in particular. a little detail was also missed on that stack/chimney/engine thing on the right, but only the minor stuff.

a remarkable job all around. i congratulate everyone who entered. it was not an easy task

(now, why do i feel like Simon on American Idol?)
Old 05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
I based my votes on the guidelines of the contest. I removed all the entries that looked too painted (this is supposed to be a photograph not photo art), then I eliminated all those that didn't fix all the damage, such as the big tear, the alignment of the top with the bottom, etc. And then sice the rules stated we weren't supposed to change the image, I sadly had to eliminate any that were too creative in their reconstruction, no matter how well done. There were areas of the photo that just didn't have enough useful information to reconstruct something without speculation and thus become "untrue" to the original.

That being said, no one did badly in this contest. I thought is was very difficult and every entry was outstanding. Which just made voting all the more difficult. Anyway, here's how I saw 'em in order of how realistic they looked...

1. Pictureman33
2. Flora
3. Cazubi
4. Caitlin
5. Suchyy
Old 05-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Here is what I saw.

5.Doug Calwell
Old 05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Great job everybody!!

Voting was hard because all the entries had something I liked very much .... But, vote we must and only for 5 submissions ....

Well, like Racc Iria, I tried to base my votes on the guidelines eliminating the pictures where:

* the big tear across hadn't been corrected leaving particularly the face of the little girl in the middle 'misshapen'

* the restoration had turned the picture into a 'painting' instead of a photograph no matter how well done or pleasant looking.

* the reconstructions/additions were "too creative, no matter how well done"

* the blurring had made the picture too soft ....

Here are my votes:

1° pictureman33 ... the 'card' around the picture had me undecided for a while .. , but I found his restoration very good.

2° Racc Iria ... would have been my first choice, nice clean and very accurate restoration, ... but for the little girl's 'strangely' spaced eyes.

3° Gary Richardson .... was my first choice for a long time ... he really kept the right feeling .... what I missed was a tiny little more clean-up and 'life/contrast'..

4° Caitlin .... somewhat 'lacking texture' but accurate, clean ... lovely!

5° Cazubi ... I really like his/her restoration ... just slightly too 'blurred' in my eyes.

Again, I found voting the hardest task ... There were many other entries I liked very, very much ... but 5 is the limit ...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Man, this is tough. So many great entries.

For me, the most critical part is the baby's face. So, I went back to the original, made a layer of the top half and nudged it to the right a little. I compared that to my favorite choices - side by side - with just the baby's face in mind. Then I evaluated the other kid's faces, the clean up on the clothes, and the carpet. The background was less important to me...

As hard as it is, I guess my votes are:

#1 - Doug Colwell - Overall, the most natural, detailed and realistic. I love what you did with the older girls dress/jacket???

#2 - Caitlin - The baby's eyes look great!

#3 - cazubi - I love you're baby eyes as well. Beautiful clean-up.

#4 - Pictureman - Again, good baby eyes. I'm just a little distracted with the clothing.

#5 - Flora - Striking, Lovely feel.

Great job everyone.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Luiz Berni

Here is my vote...........

1) Chrishoggy
2) Doug Colwell
3) Suchyy
4) Freddieanne
5) Caitlin
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests