RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Discussion

Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 PM

soleah,

very nice.

the one thing folks are quite critical of in the voting so far, is the baby's eyes, and i think you missed here a bit. from everything i could tell, the baby is looking the same way its head is turned. you've got them going the other way. if you look at the original again, before correcting for the tear, you can make out most of her right eye and it's very distinctly looking to her left front. i think it was suchvy that did the same thing and if i remember correctly, this is why he didnt make my top 5.

but, you would have made my top 10 for sure. after that, i'd have had to compare each top 10 to each other to determine it further. but overall, a very nice piece!

now, for everyone else, i'm curious as to the voting and voting comments and original criteria of this contest. this is a restore work. we're to bring the picture back to its original state. now, what i'm curious about is, are folks voting on the basis of bringing this piece back to a good condition for present time, or, are they voting based on how the original looked WHEN IT WAS ACTUALLY TAKEN? these would be quite different effects. bringing it back to its original state would mean back to the state it was in when the photographer or lab assistant or whomever, first developed the negative and then the print, NOT how it would look today if it had been preserved well. you'd still see aging effects in that case, fading, discoloration and so on. so, i'm curious as to what folks think it looked like back when it was first taken. did photos come out only in sepia tones back then? was the background truly that faded at the time it was taken? was the carpet already worn out at the time the photographer opened his shutter? things like that.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 PM

Thanks, Kraellin.

The baby is indeed looking at her left. From what I could make out of the photo, she's also round-eyed and not squinting like the boy.

It's a matter of sacrificing one detail for another. I'm sure succhy must have done the same. (Excellent restoration, by the way! )

Either way, would be fine. A combination of both would even be better.

Now, I do believe that this photo was originally printed in black and white. However, I find adding back some of the "antique" or "sephia" colorization gives a nostalgic/historic feel to the photo. This is vintage after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 AM

Thumbs down

I think your restoration was beautiful soleah. One question...why do you think that the photo was originally black and white?. Many of the vintage photos that I have been looking at are sepia toned, and I understand that this color was common around the turn of the century. When restoring, is there some way to know what tone to make the photo?

Most photos have a paper texture, and I was wondering how much of that should be kept in a restoration, or should it be completely smoothed out?

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazubi
One question...why do you think that the photo was originally black and white?. Many of the vintage photos that I have been looking at are sepia toned, and I understand that this color was common around the turn of the century. When restoring, is there some way to know what tone to make the photo?
The sepia toning in vintage photos was not always intended. Original black and white albumen prints tends to yellowing and fading as a chemical deterioration due to the age. However many albumen prints were intentionally toned by the photographer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
The sepia toning in vintage photos was not always intended. Original black and white albumen prints tends to yellowing and fading as a chemical deterioration due to the age. However many albumen prints were intentionally toned by the photographer.
When analyzing a photo for restoration,and it is not specified by a client, how do you determine what color it should be?

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazubi
When analyzing a photo for restoration,and it is not specified by a client, how do you determine what color it should be?

Cathy
Hi Cathi,

Due to the nature of the deterioration albumen prints, I think is not always easy to determine if the original was toned or not. Although grays blacks albumen prints were not uncommon, the fact is most of the albumen prints were toned. Probably the picture of the contest was originally toned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks Jaime. I think I will study up a bit. I think it is interesting.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 AM

CONGRATULATIONS to Caitlin!!!!

Well done to all who partecipated in this contest!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Smile

Wow! Thanks so much everyone. It was such a tough restoration, and I won't pretent that I didn't have to put quite a lot of work into this one! I've had a couple of requests to detail some of my steps, so I'll try to post that when I get some time to write it up this weekend.

Thanks again, and congrats to everyone else who participated. (I think just entering this one you deserve an award! )
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 08:04 AM

Yes - good work everyone and especially the top five and Caitlin. The differences in the entries were very interesting! I found the clothes the most difficult.
Margaret.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests