Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Discussion

Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Thumbs down Congratulations

Congratulations Caitlin, and the rest who placed. It was a hard one. I really enjoyed the challenge, and I think everyone who participated did a great job.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Congratulations to Caitlin and to the rest of the winners! Great jobs of restorations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Restoration steps

I promised I would detail some of the steps I used in restoring the kids. I really hope some others can detail their step in this contest, and future ones - as I know I learn heaps reading how others tackle these challenges!

I started with the standard - a levels adjustment and hue/saturation adjustment layers.

I actually had to restart at one point a fair way into the restore, as I wasn’t happy with my join of the two halves of the picture, but once I was happy with that and merged the two halves, I sharpened the whole image with USM (I may have overdone this slightly.)

Then a duplicate layer with a fairly strong Dust and Scratches layer. Flora’s explanation of the best way to uses D&S in another thread was a revelation to me – and I really used it to advantage in this restore. I selectively erased that on a layer mask to reveal the finer details of face, edges of clothing, lace work etc from the layer beneath.

The rest was largely laborious hand retouching with clone, and heal tools on a cleanup layer (or several in fact)

I got my baby eyes and boys hand from the photo collection at Library of Congress by searching for children with a similar ‘look’. I thought the baby’s eyes were good as they had a similar shape to the other children’s – rather than being too round. I know that a criticism that some people had of a few of the restorations was that the baby was looking the wrong way, and in fact mine was too until the last moment. A family member pointed it out to me, so a quick flip and a bit of a tweak got them right.

I found the children’s clothing the hardest to deal with, and tried a variety of ways to get detail into the baby’s dress, none of which I was happy with. I settled on some very subtle grey shadow areas, and rebuilding some of the lace detail (with the clone tool, with reduced opacity) I tried not to add too much detail that I wasn’t confident was originally there – so the waistcoat of the girl I felt I could see a hint of, though I can’t be certain it wasn’t dirt.

The final step was a run through Neat Image – I was amazed how well it cleaned up the final result, without impacting noticably on the detail.

I gave up on this early on, but a week before the close decided to give it another go. I don’t know how long I spent on it – but it was quite a lot!

I’m curious TPaul – where did this photo come from? Is it anonymous or relatives of a member here?

Attached is a screenshot of my Dust & Scratches layer, and a version just before some final cleanup and Neat Image. Nb. The other layers in the Dust & Scratches image were not my final, as I resaved as a new file before proceeding to my next stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre-neatimage.jpg (96.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg dust_removal_layer.jpg (98.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 06-04-2005 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 09:49 AM
congratulations caitlin! and to all who entered. it was a very difficult piece.

now why do i feel like i just completed my final exams at school and only got a C+? it was quite fascinating watching the entries come in and seeing how each had treated this area or that. and if i were re-doing it i'd take some quite different actions than before. and i think that's the main point here....learning. so, for me, no matter how i placed in the contest, i still won in the sense of having gained something. so, thanks to our hosts and thanks to all who entered!

and yes, i'd be curious in knowing where this photo came from also

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 AM
The photo was one I bought in an antique store from a bin of old photos. When I go through an antique store I always check through their photos; they can be an excellent source of old photos to practice your retouching skills on.

The photo was fairly faded and had been torn and glued to the back of cardboard...hence the slight shift that needed correcting. There was no information on the back so I don't know who they are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 09:18 AM

KUDOS for sharing your steps! It's nice to see how different people approach an image and the steps they take to accomplish the final result! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Congratulations, Caitlin! You deserve #1!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks Caitlin for sharing your steps. I found it interesting that you used USM early on and finished with Neat Image. I usually do these in the opposite order and almost always END with USM, although in this case I didn't sharpen at all. (ran out of spare time).
Thanks again - Margaret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Monkey Business - chimp outsells Warhol..

I hate to revisit the monkey business discussion but TOO funny, Duv - this was in today's paper.
Jun 20, 4:47 PM EDT

Paintings by chimpanzee outsell Warhol

LONDON (AP) -- Monkey business proved to be lucrative Monday when paintings by Congo the chimpanzee sold at auction for more than $25,000.

The three abstract, tempera paintings were auctioned at Bonhams in London alongside works by impressionist master Renoir and pop art provocateur Andy Warhol.

But while Warhol's and Renoir's work didn't sell, bidders lavished attention on Congo's paintings.

An American bidder named Howard Hong, who described himself as an "enthusiast of modern and contemporary painting," purchased the lot of paintings for $26,352, including a buyer's premium.

The sale price surpassed predictions that priced the paintings between $1,000-$1,500.

"We had no idea what these things were worth," said Howard Rutkowski, director of modern and contemporary art at Bonhams. "We just put them in for our own amusement."

Congo, born in 1954, produced about 400 drawings and paintings between ages 2 and 4. He died in 1964 of tuberculosis.

His artwork provoked reactions ranging from scorn to skepticism among critics of the time, but Pablo Picasso is reported to have hung a Congo painting on his studio wall after receiving it as a gift.

"There's no precedent for things like this having been sold before," Rutkowski said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests