RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Discussion

Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Would appreciate any critique of my entry, and what technique I can use (in future) to improve. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 08:20 PM

Hmmm... sounds like we're getting close to the point where people start pointing out specific parts of other people's photos that (seem to) violate the rules of restoration. The fairness question is bound to come up soon (as in the editing debate) if 'early' entrants start to feel unfairly criticized. Carrying on a contest and a contest discussion at the same time makes for kind of an awkward situation. I just think that pointing out perceived flaws in other people' pics (directly or indirectly) while the contest is on-going will rub some the wrong way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 09:05 PM

I agree Doug.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 AM

At the end of the day, this contest isn't about who has the best way of doing things. It's about sharing ideas/techniques in order to get an end result. Each person is then judged on their end result, and they will never be the same (unless you use someones image as a base ). This point was cleared up for me in the last contest, and the spirit of the contests is to share what you do. The first post in this topic thread by T Paul clearly states
Quote:
Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the May Contest entries as well as the contest itself here. This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.
I think you will find it's not against the rules to share techniques, but more or less in the rules that you do
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Doug does have a point, though most who enter these contests seem to take criticism pretty well.

I would worry about rework. I think we established last contest that rework should be allowable right up to the deadline. What will happen if someone posts their entry, others criticize it, he goes back, reworks it and wins...I can hear the complaining already.

I agree with Chrishoggy that we have discussion and share but it seems we should wait till the entry deadline passes. Otherwise it stops being a contest and turns into a homework assignment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Actually there are contests out there where people submit an entry and it is critiqued by fellow contestants. They then have the chance to resubmit their entry based on those suggestions before the end of the contest. It’s a great way to learn from each other!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
What will happen if someone posts their entry, others criticize it, he goes back, reworks it and wins...I can hear the complaining already.
Thats not what I am doing though. I have given a small section of detail about what I did.
If someone thinks their entry could use a tip posted here, and they use it and win, I would be happy for them and proud that I/others helped that person win. They would have picked up a tip and tried it, then won because they did a good job of restoring the picture.
It seems that a few people don't like this idea, or don't agree with it. So I will share nothing else untill the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 02:55 PM

here's a suggestion for future contests: start the contest on the first of the month as normal (or roughly thereabouts). allow revisions up to a certain date, say the 20th of the month. after that, your entry is final, no changes. this lasts for 3 to 5 days, say, up to the 25th and then voting for the remainder of the month.

this would somewhat simulate working with a client. you do some work, show the client, ask for corrections, responses, suggestions and so on, and then present the final work. thus, someone could post a piece, a preliminary piece, and ask for tips, tricks, suggestions and so on up to the final deadline date.

i'd also be interested in a somewhat different contest where we're given an image to work with and as folks post early preliminary work, others could actually borrow that work and take it further or go a different direction actually using another's work. in this wise, something like chrishoggy's post about the realignment, he'd actually post having re-aligned the objects. others could then use his post to carry on with. it would be sort of a group project to get the best possible image based on a lot of different input. could be interesting or could be a mess, but might be fun

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
i'd also be interested in a somewhat different contest where we're given an image to work with and as folks post early preliminary work, others could actually borrow that work and take it further or go a different direction actually using another's work. in this wise, something like chrishoggy's post about the realignment, he'd actually post having re-aligned the objects. others could then use his post to carry on with. it would be sort of a group project to get the best possible image based on a lot of different input. could be interesting or could be a mess, but might be fun

K.
That wouldn't be a contest, but there is something similar already - 'ART TAG' - so you are describing 'restoration tag'!

It almost seems like we need to define what these contests are for - as it seems like the 'CHALLENGES' section fulfill most of what people are talking about with sharing ideas etc. As someone said earlier, it seems like the difference in a competition is to use your knowledge, judgement, eye for detail, assessment of what is required, and skills you've learned in this forum and elsewhere, not simply your skill which this would be if people are given pointers on everything they need to do etc.

I am really interested to hear people's techniques etc, and hope to learn a lot by doing so, but would prefer to hear them after entries have closed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 03:56 PM

The contest discussion threads never close, so people can add their techniques and/or suggestions at any time!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests