RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Discussion

Old 05-07-2005, 08:08 AM

Interesting discussion!

"....judging may be hard, but you may be surprised that even with minor changes to a photo everyone still has very unique styles."

My take on the definition of restoration....(because contest entrants have different skill levels, entries will be varied, however) if aiming for a true restoration, no "unique style" would be evident, and all entries would look almost identical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Interesting discussion!

"....judging may be hard, but you may be surprised that even with minor changes to a photo everyone still has very unique styles."

My take on the definition of restoration....(because contest entrants have different skill levels, entries will be varied, however) if aiming for a true restoration, no "unique style" would be evident, and all entries would look almost identical.
Indeed - this is what I was tring to get at Vikki, but you expressed it much better! Obviously there will be differences depending on skill, but the difference between the top entries who do master a 'true' restoration I suspect will be very hard to judge without being able to see the fine detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 PM

Even the comprehensive list of 'restoration rules' posted by Jaime, doesn't even attempt to address many of the big unknowns associated with restoring very old photographs. The combined effects of time, environment, and chemical processes cannot be 'truly' determined or reversed. We can say a photo is faded but we can only guess how faded. We can say a photo is dis-coloured but we can only guess at the original colours and tones... ditto levels, contrast, saturation, etc. I would suspect that even an 'archivists only' competition would result in widely varied results if they attempted to correct these elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I would suspect that even an 'archivists only' competition would result in widely varied results if they attempted to correct these elements.
Can't say that I agree with that entirely. Although certain specifics may be unknown, the results still should not vary widely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Is the photo restoration some kind of art or a simple matter of knowledge and skills? The best photo restorer of the world, is a simple well trained technician or an artist?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 07:01 PM

I think it's both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
Is the photo restoration some kind of art or a simple matter of knowledge and skills? The best photo restorer of the world, is a simple well trained technician or an artist?
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but I think technical accuracy must be a very high component of restoration, and an ability to 'reign in' artistic flare. Many art students study the old masters by copying them - that is still art, maybe just using a different mix of uncontrolled creativity to skill?

An eye for detail, and an ability to judge what is / is not too much is an art in itself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 09:56 PM

I wouldn't think there'd be much room for art in a discipline where every rendering should be identical. Though I agree that the 'goal' of the restoration is to be identical with the unknown original, it never quite will be, and where there's a little guessing there's a little art. I don't agree that being identical with other restorations equates to being closer to the original. Common results look more to me like an agreement to adhere to common standards, practices, and techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Colwell
I wouldn't think there'd be much room for art in a discipline where every rendering should be identical.
Yes, this is the key in this interesting discussion. If there is no room for personal interpretation in the restoration process we must conclude that two photo restorers, with the same level and expertise in photoshop, working on the same photo, would always finish their restoration work with almost two identical images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 AM

When I use "artistic", with regard to restorations, I'm talking about the artisitic "ability" needed to recreate missing parts of an image.
To me, restoration is not about expressing oneself, and there is no place for one's personal "style" or interpretation of the original work. It's simply about repairing an exisiting work, someone else has created. If one were hired to restore an Amsel Adams, how appropriate would it be to incorporate "your" style into the image?
It's my observation, that evidence of individual style, merely shows a lack of ability, on the restorer, to do the job correctly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests