RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 PM

May 05 Contest Discussion

Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the May Contest entries as well as the contest itself here. This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 06:39 AM

A couple of clarifications re. the contest rules...

I presume that the rules proclude hand colouring?

The challenge seems a little problematic in some ways, as with the 800x600 resolution and in monochrome it may be hard to pick between contributions. Presumably it will be the extreme fine detail that will really be the difference, and fine detail that will seperate the exceptional from the very good. That's going to be really hard to pick up in this situation. It would almost be worthwhile for contributors to submit a small detail sample, as well as the whole picture!

Just a thought - I realise we can't go changing rules mid contest!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 09:46 AM

From Caitlin...moved from May 05 Contest Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Oh - this looks very challenging! Don't think I'm quite up to it yet - but I think I'll have to give it a go anyway...

I notice that you say moderators can enter TPaul - but what about vote? I was thinking it might be good if moderators can vote even if they don't enter. That way we get the benefit of their expertise in the judging process, but some of them may not want to enter. (And if they ALL did us small fry wouldn't get a look in! *lol*)

(Don't be fooled with that 'senior member' tag folks - I'm right chuffed with it - but I've only been here a month! - Guess I just talk alot )
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Mandatory Voting

TPaul,
I noticed in last months contest, only half of the participants actually voted.
If there's a mandatory entry to vote, how about mandatory voting as well.

Participants should finish the "task" all the way through, no matter what their standing in the votes ranking. Even if the entries are not up to their taste, they still have to vote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:40 PM

Agree totally with Soleah on the voting point. If people don't vote, their entry should be removed and any vote for them discounted
Will be good to see what people do with this one, as it's a restore, rather than a retouching to person taste
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM

I wonder if some people simply could have forgotten to vote though, depending on when they submitted their entry. Could reminders be sent out or something?

Do you think that the Contests might be better in the Challenges forum? I know that Studio is not something I would normally click on, and I only found out about this competion because I did a 'posts in 24 hours' search and it poopped up - quite late in the month!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 AM

An error was made by me when adding the layers to my restoration. This was due to me having Gary's file open at the same time as my own. As a result Gary's picture was used as a base layer instead of my own. This was spotted by myself this morning, when the Guinness was out my system. I spotted it as the boy had a hand, and my base doesn't have any hands on. Unfortunately by the time I had logged in, this mistake had been spotted and accusations had been flying via PMs. I've removed the entry and will not be entering this contest.
Apologies to Gary for this matter.
As for the person who started this issue off, a simple PM to me would have corrected the problem and the correct file would have been uploaded. I have never knowingly faked or copied a restoration in my life, and have 100's of customers who can confirm this. Yes customers, as I do this as full time job and come here as and when I can to help others.
Think it's best I leave it at that, as my blunt opinions would only cause more problems for the other users on here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 04:46 AM

Glad you have sorted this out directly with Gary, Chris - Far better for the people directly involved to deal with such a situation, as only they would be able to recognise their own work with certainty. I think it would be quite inapproprate of a third party to contact you directly!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 AM

I'm quite happy with Chris's explanation of things, and his apology.

I would only add, that I'd like him to reconsider his decision not to enter the contest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Chris don't let this one thing put you off, i love seeing your work, have seen your website too, and i would be sad not to see you enter, me well i have given up on contests, it just brings out the bad in some people, and from now on i think i shall just check the pictures, tally who i think should win, and say nothing.

Gary is a nice guy who understands!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests