Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

June 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2005, 07:40 AM
1. Cabuzi
No contest here, my child aged 7 picked this one. Need I say more?
2. Pictureman33
I picked this one out! I love your old world illustration, very beautifully done, I grew up on magical books with stories of fairy princesses.
3. Freddieanne
Conjures up another mysterious world deep in the forests where a totally different world from ours exists. Would be fascinating to a child’s imagination I would think.
4. MargeretM
Could be gorgeous if the background wasn’t so dark and overpowering. The little creatures pictured are so interesting.
5. Raniday
For her fabulous Van Gogh lookalike, she deserves a mention though i'm not sure a child would fully understand the value of this little peice of art.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:52 AM
My vote..

1. Pictureman - really captured the period - very cohesive-charming.
2. Cazubi - lovely illustration. Second only because I thought it could have had a little more depth(perspective) to it.
3. Jaykita - colorful, good detail.
4. Doug Colwell - nicely done.
5.Chrishoggy - very nicely pulled together.

Applause and honorable mention for everyone!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:46 AM
June Contest

Congratulations to everyone that entered. What fun it has been watching the entries come in and seeing the wonderful efforts that everyone made. It was really hard to choose.
I was looking for continuity in style, that is that a piece did not have a “cut and paste” look. Composition, and a good focal point were important to me as well.

Here are my choices:

1st: jaykita
Illustrated with nice bright color and shapes, and a good flowing composition. All of the images are integrated so that they keep the same artistic style throughout the illustration.

2nd: pictureman33
Very nicely done vintage style illustration where the ladybug and all other elements are integrated very naturally into the whole picture.

3rd: Sean2
A nice composition that flows well and has a good artistic style to it. All of the images are nicely blended to create a nice illustration.

4th: freddieanne
It has good composition with a strong focal point. The images fit well in their environment, and the artistic style is consistent throughout the illustration.

5th: Doug colwell
A good concept as well as a good composition. I think a little more color enhancement as well as some artistic filters might have given it a more illustrated feel, but overall it has a good, consistent look to it.

I was back forth on MargaretM’s piece. I like it a lot, but I think that it might be a little to busy, and dark.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 AM
This was a really hard contest to judge with such lovely and imaginitive illustrations from everyone. So I really dug deep down and chose the photos that I thought a little child would like. Some of these seemed as if they would be better for older children, lovely as they are. But I gravitated toward the pint sizers likelihood of just running up and choosing a picture.

1. Cazubi - As usual, this is so beautiful. The colors are so bright and the scene is so friendly, just what a little person would be interested in.

2. Jayita - Bright colors again! Pintsters like colors that catch their attention and can easily understand the story even if there are no words.

3. Marthig - I love this. Another friendly picture with the colors pulled together charmingly for a child's eye.

4. Freddieanne - A very nice ladybug community and I love the way you changed the "lady" in your illustrations. The scene in this one brings back a "feel" for me when I was little.

5. Pictureman33 - This is total nostalgia! I remember my mom and dad getting me books illustrated like this when I was younger. The colors are blended nicely.

This one was the hardest to judge yet! But so much fun to do and see all the RP talent. Congrats to all!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:07 PM
This was sooooo hard! But 5 we must pick.

1 - Picturemann - perfect blend, colors, texture and theme.

2 - cazubi - illistration was the contest, this is a wonderful representation.

3 - freddieanne - wonderful concept and executed very well.

4 - Doug Colwell - also great concept and perspective.

5 - shalford - I like the combination of illistration and using the lady bug in the original format - great manipulations with the ladybug.

Last edited by TwinbNJ; 06-23-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Thumbs down

This is the first time I participate in a 5th of the month contest, it was great fun and now, like most of us I find that this is the hardest part; how can one pick just 5 when you like all of them ?!
I am just an enthusiast of image manipulation, illustrations and webdesign so my vote is based mainly on how I can visualize a young child reacting to the images submitted here:

1st place for Cazubi #10 - The colors most surely would attract the attention of a child and the 3d effect of the flowers and naive-looking sky gives it the typical look of a child story book. I would definitely buy it for my grand daughter !

2nd place for Ms Bay #12- This is a beautiful display of the typical family outing with everyone busy enjoying the landscape and exploring the terrain. The nice coloring and all the little details are just the things that a child would look at and ask, what is it? or what is it doing ? and the endless whys from a child looking at the illustration.

3rd place for Jaykita #22- Lovely and bright colors, a truly busy "hood" with nice little houses and "peopled" with cute little bugs. Another one to catch a child's attention.

4th place for FreddieAnne #9 - Nicely achieved mood of another family outing on a bright and sunny day, one could almost hear the "kids" laughing and shouting in the background. Any child could relate to this scene.

5th place for Doug Colwell #7 - I like this scene because I can truly see the Mommy LadyBug flying happy after rescuing the little one and the detail of the litle ones with true ladybugs and the way mommy's wings are spread to fly is very realistic as well as the background.

Like I explain above my selection is based on how I imagine a child would see those illustrations. I am sorry we could not pick two or three for each position because all of the postings are beautiful and deserve a place among the best.

Cheers and congratulations to all - Martha
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 PM
This is way too hard to narrow down to just 5 choices, all of the entries were extremely creative, but here goes:

#1 - Pictureman 33 - I'm probably showing my age, but this just struck a chord with me. It is so reminiscent of books I remember from my childhood. It almost took my breath away when I first opened it.

#2 - Cazubi - Simply brilliant, Cathie. Just exactly what children would like.

#3 - Sean2 - I'm not familiar with "Dune" but yours is so imaginative and beautifully executed. The text would probably appeal to older children, (sort of poetic).

#4 - Twin NJ - I've liked this one from the very start. I want to know more of the story.

#5 - Ryan M - I don't know, this just made me laugh. I think little boys would get a kick out of it.

Nicely done, everyone!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:26 AM
1. pictureman33 - Wonderful artwork and colouring. Very authentic looking early 20th century illustration, and nicely aged too. Pen and ink rendering of the bug might integrate better with bg.

2. cazubi - bright, colourful, and expertly done. Great composition.

3. freddieanne - vibrant colours, lots going on. Can't imagine a kid not wishing he/she could join the fun. Liked your super-saturated first submission a little more.

4. Janet Petty - very nice watercolour, simple and effective depiction of a bug's solitary journey.

5. chrisshoggy - like the older look, great texture and muted colours. The characters and title make for a good hook.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Keep the votes coming in...only seven more voters to go. Please don't forget that you have to vote or your entry will be disqualified!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:58 AM
#1 Doug Colwell

Great animated characters and a whole lot of interest.

#2 Marthig

Just so appealing, wonderful colours, I’d buy it.

#3 Freddieanne

A very busy picture, kids would love this!

#4 Cazubi

Lovely bright colours, a magnet for children.

#5 Ms Bay

A lot of work has gone into this, lots of characters and
the potential for a great storyline.

Like everyone else who has voted, I hated having to choose 5.
All entries were skilful, absorbing and talented.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests