Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

June 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2005, 09:20 AM
June 05 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 23 June to 30 June 2005. Deadline for votes is 5pm EDT 30 June 2005.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Voting is now open!

As always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!

Also don't forget that all participants must vote in order to avoid being disqualified.

1. You must VOTE for the top 5 entries. Participants that do not submit their top 5 will be disqualified.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Much better than mine.

#10 - First Place - Cazubi
#15 - Second Place - Marthig
#12 - Third Place - Ms Bay
#18 - Fourth Place - Pictureman33
#7 - Fifth Place - Doug Colwell

But I could use PS CS. Oh well.

Last edited by T Paul; 06-22-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Names Added
Old 06-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Please use names when voting to make it easier to tally.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:33 PM
1st -- Cazubi
Beautiful!! Done in illustration style, characters are large and easily identified, bright, clear colors, creative introduction of new characters and environment.
(I would love to know how you created this illustrated style of your characters.) Beautiful artwork.

2nd -- Pictureman33 (This was my hardest decision -- both are beautiful, imaginative images and would be publishable in my mind. I decided that Cazubi's would possibly be more appealing to younger kids because of the primary colors, and Pictureman's would appeal more to older children and adults -- not sure how that translated into making this image 2nd, but they are both tied for first in my mind -- very different styles that would capture a child's imagination (and mine). Pictureman33's image has more subtle coloration, but a beautiful illustrative style, creative introduction of characters/environment. The subjects are a large part of the image and grab my attention. Beautiful artwork.

3rd -- Jaykita
Bright colors, illustrative style, creative introduction of characters/environment, but subjects are smaller and don't grab my attention as much as the first two images.

4th -- Chrishoggy
Illustrative style, bright color, large characters that are easy to identify, creative addition of character/environment.

5th -- MargaretM
Lovely artful look to the overall image, illustrative style, creative introduction of characters/environment. It seems a bit too busy for my eye, even though the bright colors bring my eye to the central characters, there is so much to look at that I get a bit lost in the details. Very lovely details -- the leaves, the little bugs, etc., but just a bit too much (in my mind) to use as a story illustration.

There are a number of other entries that came close to the top 5, but I felt that these were the closest to meeting the mission of the contest.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 PM
here are my choices:

1 Margaret
2 Doug colwell
3 Shalford
4 Jaykita
5 Freddieanne

As I indicated earlier, i found Margarets to be a fantastic piece with the butterfly eggs, delicate leaf veins and grasshopper. while it is a little busy, the piece is well blended and worked over - superb!

Doug and Shalford. Both excellent pieces, clear, sharp, evocative and fun. I think these would quickly grab the imagination of the curious, questing child

Jaykita, very nice. Soft without being excessively so

Nice job Freddieanne!. You are doing very well indeed .

I liked the variety in the majority of the pictures. While i liked Cazubi's simple and primary color driven effort, it seemed too much like many of the new books out today (spiders/caterpillars etc..), and for me it lacked that interest trigger. Unfortunately, it wouldn't compel me to pick it up from the shelf, but for the brightness and sharpness of the figures, to leaf through. Beside that "factor", it was an impressive piece and certainly up there.

The other cover pages just created an expectation, for me, about what might be in the story.

Phil - great job. this was a contender from the outset. Beautiful rich blues and a great balancing act. I just needed to see more in the picture, but still an outstanding piece of work and fast man, fast .

Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 PM
what a marvelous collection and what talented people. and like i said in the discussion early on, this was tough.

#1 Cazubi absolutely hit the mark for a children's book illustration. bright, fun colors, great form, simple, and easy to look at. finish the book and publish it!

#2 Pictureman33 i remember books like this from my childhood! marvelous

#3 Doug Colwell great colors and loved the flying ladybug with the overhead wings and the underneath. daring, but you pulled it off.

#4 Jaykita wonderful. a tiny bit busy and a bit bright, but wonderful. captures the feel of a children's book nicely. lovely, fanciful critters

#5. CJSwartz i also remember seeing books like this, either when reading to children or looking in the bookstore. these are more contemporary than my own childhood, but certainly valid and very well done!

#6 everyone else. it was really hard to leave some of these out.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:39 AM
1...cazubi - This is lovely i would imagine this on a kids bedroom as wallpaper with a border of little ladybirds its my number one choice.

2...Jaykita - Wow Judy that is out there on the bookshelves booming up to no.1 it reminded me of the books we use to read as children. Love the bright colours!!!

3...pictureman33 - I like this reminds me of the old signs for milk and cheese and tea that use to be advertisements for food etc, so it would be aimed at children this as a olde worlde book.

4...Marthig - Love the outlay for a children's story i have to mention that you chose improvised which i thought was a hard word to be put into a story for children, as the picture looks like it would be aimed at the under 5's but other than that word i think its a lovely picture.

5...chrishoggy - I like the twist on the title, it reminds me of an already design for a childrens book, i think the one i am thinking of is james and the giant peach, it probably isn't it just reminds me of it.

Well done everyone!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Ok, here are my votes; if I voted tomorrow, they might be different choices or different order. Everyone did an awesome job!
1st Pictureman33
2nd Janet Petty
3rd Twinbnj
4th Jaykita
5th Sean

Last edited by raniday; 06-23-2005 at 05:45 AM. Reason: I told you I couldn't count :)
Old 06-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Here are my votes:

1. Pictureman, who employed a technique used on books in the early 1900's to such a real degree that it astounded me.

2. Jaykita, whose bright and bold colors and style continue to cheer and uplift.

3. Cazubi, who has a happy, colorful illlustration.

4. Raniday, whose Van Gogh work shows both humor and would also teach a child at the same time.

5. MargaretM, whose illustration was rather dark for my tastes but showed exceptional work with a creative flair.

This was a very difficult vote. I seesawed back and forth on several, several times before finally saying enough. Great job all!!!

Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests