RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

July 05 Discussion Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 PM

Note, the photographer/model (it was a self portrait) will be viewing the contest threads to see the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 09:18 AM

TPaul, there is a minor typo in the rules. .......the deadline is 24 JUNE 2005.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the catch Kiska. It has been changed to July.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 03:00 PM

Photograph?

TPaul, so far all of the entries are beautiful remakes, but I thought you said it was to look like a photograph. Practically all of them look like paintings or drawings (hence, photo art). I read the rules of the contest and the additions that you added, and I could have enhanced her more, but I am trying to stay within the rules. Am I confused and making a lot of to do about nothing? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Bay
TPaul, so far all of the entries are beautiful remakes, but I thought you said it was to look like a photograph. Practically all of them look like paintings or drawings (hence, photo art)...
What makes you think of these entries as "paintings"?

The ones that I have looked at could have been shot with a camera in front of their background. Faustina's work gave the subject glowing perfect skin, and sparkling eyes -- but I can see it as a photo of a person with those traits (or the makeup to look like those traits). Retouching techniques can create that improved look -- painting or airbrushing over the skin does not create a "painting".

What is the "look" that makes you think that rules have been broken?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 03:30 PM

CJ, evidently you did not read all or perhaps understand my post. I did not say all of the entries look like photo art, nor did I mention any particular entry. I was asking TPaul what I thought was something to help me concerning my entry in the contest. Each person is entitled to their own opinion, that is why there are votes for the entries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 04:28 PM

I thought it might help to get a definition of a glamour portrait. I don't know that this definition helps at all though as it seems to require the model to be partially nude! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamour_photography.

In my google browsing I didn't find one site that gave really definitive examples of glamour photography, but I'd suggest anyone in doubt does a search with goggle images with the words glamour portrait and look at the examples that come up.

Last edited by Caitlin; 07-03-2005 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 04:33 PM

I think the point CJ picked up on, as I did was:
Practically all of them look like paintings or drawings (hence, photo art)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
I think the point CJ picked up on, as I did was:
Practically all of them look like paintings or drawings (hence, photo art)
Maybe that is the test of a 'good' retouch? To me this contest is not that different in aim to the wedding portrait a couple of months ago - make her look really nice, but so no one can tell you did it. (IF they hadn't seen the before)

Personally I don't think all the entries so far look like 'paintings' - some of them maybe do push the boundaries a little too far for my taste, but the majority I think are quite beleivable portraits. I think the important thing is that she looks great, and you can believe with enough good lighting and lots of makeup she could look like that.

Last edited by Caitlin; 07-03-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Caitlin, good suggestion. I, like you, went to Google and put in "glamour shots" and with the sites I went to, the photos looked lovely, but still looked like natural skin without the shadows and different colorizations of the skin as some air brushing and enhancing does do. They also did not have the extra smooth skin that make the models look unnaturally plastic. I'm by no means a pro at glamour shots and I probably don't have the expertise that some of the entrants do, and I did not say anyone was breaking any rules, I was just asking a question to make sure that I was doing the right thing. As I said before, the entries so far are beautiful and I wish everyone good luck. I think I'll just withdraw my entry and just enjoy the contest for other's interpretations and use the site for learning.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests