RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

July 05 Discussion Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Exclamation Controversial challenge ?

Hi guys and gals !

I think we must not forget RULE #4 !? Let's just have fun doing whatever we think is the best method.

Before starting to work on any of these challenges or contests and after I have a sketch in my mind one of the nicest things I like to do is research for photos to use -most I don't but still pick them up- in a particular project, for this one I had zillions of pretty ladies with nice hair styles to "implant" in the model, now ... well I will try to fix her hair in the best possible way !

One thing that I am not sure you have noticed, the model has the most perfectly symetrical (1 or two "ms" ?) features I have encountered so far.

OK , thanks for reading my 2bits.

regards - Martha

OOPS "rule #4 - Have fun, is from another contest/challenge sorry about that TPaul .

Last edited by Marthig; 07-04-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 05:12 PM

Don't withdraw MsBay! Everyone's interpretations are different, and yours is just as valid as anyone else's! One thing I have noticed is a lot of people have made amendments to their entries already, so I think there is a lot of uncertainty about how to approach this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 05:24 PM

I agree with Caitlin, MsBay, don't withdraw. Each piece is different and that is good. There are always going to be a big variety in styles and interpretations in these contests and differences of opinions.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Why would anyone withdraw an entry? ---- I did mine as if I was doing one for myself. Now maybe I "cross" lines" at times -- but hey my grandchildren are going to think I was the most beautiful grandama! LOL

Now as far as "air" brushed skin -- OK go to google and do a search, then look at the cover of magazines at the grocery store ----- very different! LOL

I am not even going to bring up the children beauty pagents! Extra smooth skin, eye lashes and make up -- yup.

I say do what you feel makes this beautiful woman look glamourus --- that would make your entry you.

I did not do a search of how to make someone glamourus --- I just looked at a beautiful woman and went from there.

Best of luck to everyone === T- very nice challenge!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 09:25 PM

When I think of Photo Art, I think of a photo that has been converted to look like art work in a variety of medium such as a watercolor, oil, pencil, charcoal and so on.

As for this contest, keeping it as a photo doesn’t mean it can’t have some flare to it. Many special effects that are created digitally can be achieved in regular photography through filters, darkroom techniques, backdrops, lighting, special film and so on.

Some possibilities are:

Black & White
Sepia tone or other tinted tone
Dreamy Photo (Soft Blur)
High Key
Low Key
Double Exposures
Infrared
Warm tones/Cool tones
Silhouettes
Panning and other techniques to create movement
and many more

There also might be some confusion in that you can add make-up, touch up hair, smooth skin, retouch the face, change the background, change the color of the clothes, and even resize some facial features while still keeping the image a photograph. This is a "glamour" retouch.

Here are some sites with some Before and After samples:
Glamour Retouching
Touch of Glamour
Digital Retouch
Glitter Guru
Beauty Retouching
Photo Retouching Tutorials

Last edited by T Paul; 07-04-2005 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added More Links
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 09:33 PM

i think the bottom line here is 'do you recognize what you see here as basically a photograph with some enhancements or as something else?'

take it the other way around. let's say you take a picture of a kabuki actor all made up in heavy covering. now, let's say you took that same person in that same pose but without the makeup and then added it yourself in photoshop to look exactly the same as the first one. and bringing it a little closer to home, let's say this model in the contest was all done up by a professional stylist, makeup artist and dressmaker and the cameraman used a number of camera tricks to make things even better still. it's all doctored, but it was done before the shot was taken. and trust me, i know some folks who could do this and you'd believe it was photo art.

the thing is, 'glamour photography' IS very much like 'photo art'. you could almost call it a sub-division of photo art. and that may be where the confusion lies. the difference, to me, is, when i look at the final rendering does it look more like an art piece or a photograph. and in all the entries i've seen thus far, they all qualify [u[primarily[/u] as photographs. there is a line you might cross and i can certainly understand msbay wanting a better definition of where that line is for her own entry. as you can see from my own question in earlier posts, i thought T Paul had moved that line. he didnt, but i thought he had. i think msbay is looking at the same question; where do you draw that line. it's a fair question.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 10:49 PM

I agree it is very confusing! For instance Flora just posted an entry and made the comment "I know I bent the rules a bit with her hair" and I thought "huh??". Putting her in a purple wig may be bending the rules, just giving her a neater hairdo is quite the opposite - it's exactly what 'Glamour Photography' should be I think - taking away the imperfections, and 'tarting you up' a bit, and more too possibly. I think it'll be a real shame if people are scared to make 'artistic alterations', in order to make it a more attractive and glamourous photographic image. Now, as some one has already mentioned, then there's that kid's peagent stuff - that's in another ball park again - from what I've seen sometimes VERY un-photographic looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2005, 04:48 PM

Another question from me!

Looking at the entries so far I guess I'm a bit surprised that only one so far has tried to complete the top of the lady's hair. So just wanted to confirm that doing so, and for instance changing the dress to be more 'glamourous' are appropriate in this contest?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM

ya know, i think we can overthink this. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, chances are, it's a duck

the ONLY real criteria was 'keep it as a photo'. so, if it looks like a photo...

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Quack, Quack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul
You can add make-up, touch up hair, smooth skin, retouch the face, change the background, change the color of the clothes, and even resize some facial features while still keeping the image a photograph. This is a "glamour" retouch.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests