RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Contests (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/)
-   -   July 05 Discussion Thread (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/10910-july-05-discussion-thread.html)

T Paul 06-23-2005 09:09 AM

July 05 Discussion Thread

Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the July Contest entries as well as the contest itself here. This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.

chrishoggy 07-01-2005 09:22 AM

As you will see from my entry, glamour work isn't my thing. But it has made me look in to it. Searching through, I can see there are many ways of getting the glamour effect. Also there are many different looks to a glamour finish, so I will be interested in what look people go for.
I liked the B/W idea of the first entry, gives a totally different feel to the photo :cool:

Caitlin 07-02-2005 05:45 AM

TPaul - you really know how to pick them! This one is tricky, and has a lot of challenge to it!

I wanted to get a view on the definition in this situation of a glamour portrait - ie. how much 'plastic surgery' I might be able to get away with? If this was a photographic model to appear in a magazine I would make more alterations, than say, if it was someone wanting a picture of themselves to hang on the wall. Any chance of some clarification on this point?

Craig Walters 07-02-2005 07:35 AM

caitlin,

i had the same question. i went back and read the rules again. the only stipulation seems to be that you must keep it as a photo, not photo art. that leaves a LOT of room for adjustment as far as i can tell. for instance, i see no reason why you couldnt completely replace her hair if you wanted to, as long as it was realistic hair. change her dress as long as the dress is more or less real. and so on and so forth. but you wouldnt want to make the image look like a water color or oil painting. and i think that's the point here. keep it looking like a photo that you could put in cosmo and have folks believe it is a photo. but that's only my interpretation and i've 'interpreted' wrong before ;)

ultimately, it's going to be the voters that decide if your image stuck to the rules or not.

also, i agree, at first glance this seems like an easy assignment, but there are some tricky areas here. so, good luck to all :)

Craig

T Paul 07-02-2005 10:37 AM

First off, I try to keep the rules to a minimum as not to hamper any creativity. That being said, the idea of this challenge is to “glamorize” the existing photo. Consider that the client wants her image turned into a model-look. I would stay fairly true to eye and hair color. You can add highlights, but I wouldn't completely replace or alter her hair. I believe the key is to “enhance” what is there without making the person look completely unrealistic. The client wants to improve "her look", not change herself into a completely different person.

Some people may want to try a little digital plastic surgery. Try doing the basic retouching steps first, then experiment with the highlights and shadows before you start “nipping and tucking”. You'd be amazed how much you can contour a face by simple working with the highlights and shadows of an image. For instance, a simple change to them can dramatically change the shape of nose.

Some basic approaches:
Skin
Smooth texture, remove blemishes and major wrinkles
Remove hot spots (shininess)
Hair
Eliminate fly-aways/wispy hairs
Fill in gaps
Eyes
Brighten Whites
Soften under-eye circles
Remove distracting catch lights
Enhance color
Eyebrows
Reshape if necessary
Remove stray hairs
Nose
Soften hard shadows on sides of nose
Lips
Reshape if necessary
Enhance color
Add or even out highlights
Face
Improve highlights and shadows

Craig Walters 07-02-2005 01:54 PM

arrgh! ok, this new 'amendment' quite possibly just voided quite a few hours of work. i went strictly by the 'keep it a photograph' and was well within those parameters. i didnt base this on the model coming to me and asking for work, but rather the photographer or editor coming and saying, 'ok, make this the best you can as long as you keep it as a photograph'. this amendment changes all that. i changed a number of things that the model, herself wouldnt have wanted changed, but that a fashion magazine wouldnt necessarily care about or mind.

and i know the voters here. they read and follow the rules exactly when they vote. with this new guide i'm gonna be out of the running if it's strictly interpreted. so, now i dont know whether to go back to a MUCh earlier save or take the risk and go with how i've been going. i hate 'late' rules!

Craig

T Paul 07-02-2005 03:09 PM

The above was not a rule change.

The rules don't say you can't change the hair color and so on. I was just suggesting that most glamour shots are kept true to the original image as well as offering some suggestions to help those that have never enhanced a photo before.

As long as you keep it as a photograph and don't convert it to photo art then you are technically meeting the rules. So go ahead and glamourize it as you see fit. This competition is open to creativity.

Caitlin 07-02-2005 05:36 PM

Hmmm... I don't think we are ever going to get a challenge where the boundaries are crystal clear! *lol* I guess that is the nature of the art.

I hadn't thought to actually replace facial (or hair) features.

You can change appearance A LOT working with what is already there though. Altering shadows can have a dramatic effect. Sounds like that is acceptable, and as reshaping lips, eyebrows etc is mentioned obviously subtle facial modification is ok. I have certainly seen glamour photography (You know the stuff you see on display in shopping 'malls') where people's appearances change quite considerably through various airbrushing techniques.

Craig Walters 07-02-2005 08:58 PM

ok. thank you, T Paul :)

Craig

T Paul 07-02-2005 08:58 PM

Smile, I never like to see work go to waste! ;)