RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug 05 Discussion Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM

Nacoya,

Thanks a lot for creating the contest gallery for this month, it makes it soooo... much easier to view the enties. Really appreciate it.

One thing I noticed is that one entry named "dell" (the dellicious one) was submitted by leigh. You might want to reference that name. ???

Thankyou,

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 AM

thank you, nacoya! it really does make things easier

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 AM

ekhm, I think you should read this before posting here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=40
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 05:28 AM

Thanks so much, Nacoya.

PS -- I love the design of the pages.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much, Nacoya! I really appreciate your doing that. There are so many fantastic renderings. Seeing them side by side is wonderful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 09:44 AM

my vote is in!! Great work everyone!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM

what happened to the CathyH post?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM

ok, i've sent my votes in.

this was, by far, the hardest vote i've had to make. i had to examine pictures for the minutest technical fautls to eliminate some, and even then it was very tough.

after i had it down to seven, it was just plain old, 'which do i like the most'.

just a word to a few mistakes here. when you blur a car in motion, like some did here, do not put the blur lines going forward off the car! the car isnt there yet and would NOT be blurred in that manner. and second, one or two forgot to remove the guardrail that was transparent through the window when they cut out the car. also, if you motion blur one part of the car, you have to motion blur ALL of the car and, if you motion blur the wheels, you have to motion blur the car.

even with those mistakes being evident here and there, all the entries were good and none got eliminated out very quickly. some really top notch stuff here! well done, all!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Craig,

I have to disagree with you on some of your observations.

If the car were moving quickly and the photographer were tracking the car while taking a relatively long exposure shot, the effect that you have you have pointed out as not being possible could indeed occur.

When tracking the car with a camera, the background would definitely be out of focus but unless the camera were physically attached to the car, the photographer would most likely tack either slightly fast, slightly slow, or more likely both. Depending on these tiny differences in motion speed, a slight blur would probably appear on both the front and back of the car. This is because although the car hasn't traveled the space in front of itself, the camera has and as it slowed to let the car catch up it created this blur. Of course the blur would be evident throughout the entire car, but the fact the the camera may have been slow and fast throught the same exposure would have created a more pronounced effect in the leading and trailing edges of the car and much less effect in the center. Now in this case the whole car would be slighlty out of focus but by how much can be left to artistic license. Many times advertisers will exaggerate the focus in the center, especially when their logos or products are involved. I think most of the entries do a good job of mimicking this effect. If you google photographs with this type of movement you'll see what I'm talking about.

Now supposing the camera were physically attached to the car (popular effect in recent car commercials) then the car would be in rock solid focus and only the wheels and background would be blurred. The photographer would then simply need to remove the bar where the camera is attached from the final photograph (in video it's rotoscoped or composited out). Thus it is perfectly acceptable to have a photo-realisitc redition with the wheels blurred and the car in focus.

I find that a much bigger problem is when the car has apparent motion but the wheels have no radial motion. This makes it seem like the car is braking hard. Although if the car were braking, aparent motion with no radial wheel motion would also be perfectly acceptable (although at the speeds this car has been made to travel in the photos you would probably see smoke and/or fire)

I appreciate your post but I think some of what you consider impossible in a photograph is indeed quite possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Special thanks to Nacoya for creating a viewing gallery of the contest images to make voting easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacoya
Hi,

I hope you don't mind but as i had a spare half hour i created a gallery for this months comp, not dis-similar to the one for last month (not as good tho').
If i've not overstepped the mark then i hope it is of some use. And i hope i've not missed anyone..

http://nacoya.co.uk/retouchpro/aug_comp

cheers,

nacoya
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests