RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug 05 Discussion Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM

I know the rules say not to bother with text etc, but I couldn't help myself Wanted to show the design that was in my head
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Just my two cents about the 'private' voting -

What I guess I found most interesting in the competitions is seeing WHY people liked what they did, but also reading the niggly things they thought could be improved. While it's nice to get praise, I got a lot out of the last July competition by figuring out that a. my background was loved by some and loathed by others, b. I cut her out too sharply, and stuffed up a bit on the right shoulder etc etc. Reading why people liked other entries was interesting too, and seeing how diverse the voting was as well revealling how much this one was about taste. It's good to see WHY people like certain entries that you yourself may not appreciate too. The votes that were just a ranking of 1-5 with names was of no interest to me, similarly the votes that simply praised the top 5 weren't as good a learning process either. All of this is gone if at the end of the month we just get a report back that 1. won, and 2-5 are runners up.

I know that running these kinds of things isn't easy, and can see that there are some disadvantages to the voting process being public and I really applaud all the hard work TPaul and Doug put in, but I thought it was worth giving a bit of feedback on what I see as the 'cons' of blind voting.

Last edited by Caitlin; 08-02-2005 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM

A very good point and I agree whole heartedly. I get the most out of the descriptions added to the voting process. It's a great learning experience to see what is liked as well as what wasn't liked. The private voting is only for this month and will go back to public voting for future contests. Hopefully people will still explain what they liked and didn't like in this month’s contest entries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalford
Hadn't got a clue what to do !

Oh well here's mine
For not having a clue what to do, I really like your results! The white space really makes the car standout!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 06:10 PM

T Paul
This is where I am clueless.

"You do not have to add type"
Is that "You DO NOT have to add type" or "add type if you want to"
Is a poster an advert?

Anyhow thanks for the comments.
You put a great deal of work into this site, just to say, it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 10:59 PM

Typography is a skill in itself so I didn't want people to feel they had to add type if they didn't want to. Just think of it as prepping the photo for the poster...or go ahead and add type. Chrishoggy was brave and decided to tackle adding type.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racc Iria
With a solid rocket booster and all-wheel drive thrusters, Brewster's car wasn't exactly street legal.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it sure was fun making this!

--Racc
Now that car has some serious pick-up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 AM

Thumbs down Thank You T Paul !

First I felt like thanking you --again-- for the work you put in organizing these wonderful contests. They are a great source of knowledge and improvement, especially for amateurs or newbies like me. I could understand some of the professional views about the rendering and retouching of images just by their explanation of the reasons for their vote. This is something we will not benefit from with private voting.

Racc
With cars like the one you "prepared" there will be no excuses to arrive late anywhere !!
Congrats !

Regards to all

Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Thanks T Paul and Martha. I'm glad you enjoyed the image.

Here's my 2 cents on the voting... Assuming it's not too much work or a hassle the votes should be private until the voting closes. Once the voting is over, then publish them. That way someone voting isn't influenced by the votes of others, but we still get to see and learn from their comments.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 09:08 AM

i tend to like the voting the way it was. i liked reading the comments made as they came in. and as for other votes influencing my vote, nope, not gonna happen. i like what i like. the only 'other' influence i sometimes find myself wrestling with a bit is, whose work is it. overall, on the forums, i love Flora's work, for instance. it's always professional and always immaculate. thus, i tend to find myself looking at flora's entries in the contests and wanting to vote for hers, even if i think someone else's might be a touch better in this instance. but, in the end, i refrain and vote for the one i do think is the better, whether it's flora's or someone elses.

and besides, this is a friendly contest. let's not get too serious with it. if there are folks not voting because the early entries show that they're not going to win, then so be it. it's their loss to not vote for the ones that they do like and thus have an influence on the outcome.

if the point of the contest is to learn and share, then anonimity is going to kill that to some extent. leave it open.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests