RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug 05 Discussion Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, PanPan. I went through all the steps for saving my image, but still came up with so much compression-uglies. I had originally had my image in the 600x800 size and even had to make the long side 700 just to get as little compression as there is in my entry, an to me there seems ot be alot of compression.

What determines file size, anyways? Say you have two images, same pixel dimensions - same ppi, and still it seems that there can be HUGE difference in the file size, even at the same "jpeg quality". I am curious...

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
What determines file size, anyways? Say you have two images, same pixel dimensions - same ppi, and still it seems that there can be HUGE difference in the file size, even at the same "jpeg quality". I am curious...

Dawn
Colors, if you have sharp image with many many colors one next to another it will be bigger then a picture with a blue sky that takes 50% of a picture and a green grass that takes another 50%.

Give a try to XnView it works really fine. Better than Save For Web in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks, suchyy. I will give that a try. And thank you for clearing that up for me about file size. Makes sense (I guess - lol).

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 AM

dawn,

a simple example of how compression of two different images can make two different file sizes would be, let's say you had a row all blue in one image. you could code a compression routine to say 'blue=800'. which might mean 'there are 800 blue pixels now'. and in the other image it might all be varied colors in a line. so, you have to have 'blue=1, red=2, green=1, red=1, blue=3' etc, etc. now, that's over-simplified, but maybe gives you an idea.

also, an image's color bit size makes a difference. an image in 32 bit with 64 million color possibilities is harder to compress than a grayscale of 256 colors.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM

here's a thought; why not have more than one voting method? hollywood does this all the time with movies. you've got oscars and emmys and people's choice and all sorts of votings going on. how bout we open this up a bit? you could have:

1. current style, where only the entrants vote

2. only the moderators vote

3. only the non-entrants vote

4. all can vote.

5. only new folks can vote (those that registered within the time frame of the contest)

and quite possibly there are others. we all know that 'art' is quite a subjective thing. i like blue, you like red, someone else likes yellow and so on. so, why have just one vote?

additionally, this might encourage some of our 'lurkers' to actually register (yes, we see you hiding there )

anyways, just a thought.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
One in honor of the home team!
Bill
Go, go team!

You had me doing acrobatics trying to read that text!

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 PM

OMG!! Cathy, that is HILARIOUS!! And great work too!

Too, too funny!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 01:37 PM

hehehe, i'm with dawn on this one, cathyh

(one small point; you've got speed blurs moving outwards from the car on both ends of the car, making it seem like it's going both directions at once. of course, that's probably what's causing the crash )

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 08:12 PM

oh good lord, time to vote. this is impossible. cant we just declare it a tie all the way around and let it go at that?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 PM

August Competition Gallery

Hi,

I hope you don't mind but as i had a spare half hour i created a gallery for this months comp, not dis-similar to the one for last month (not as good tho').
If i've not overstepped the mark then i hope it is of some use. And i hope i've not missed anyone..

http://nacoya.co.uk/retouchpro/aug_comp

cheers,

nacoya

ps. wasn't sure whether to start a new topic or not but i thought it'd be more visible as a new one. Please feel free to move this where you see fit. (to the mods)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests