RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 09-24-2005, 09:22 AM

Kurt,
I deleted my post becuase I do not want to be accussed of cheating!

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 09:30 AM

I think removing the post is a good idea. I wasn't suggesting there was any cheating...it just seemed inappropriate given that the main thread is locked after voting begins. Posting new versions here could be viewed as coming in the back door, and that would not be a good thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 09:39 AM

Wink

Kurt,
It wasn't a new post it was the same pic only larger, but if that is considered cheating/inappropriate then I sure don't want that!

Good Luck to all!

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Hello Nancy,

I agree with your comments. I included glasses. I have reasons for that. Your comments on voting, unfortunately, are too true. It has become a lovefest with the pursuit of votes. Support is nice, necessary and welcome, but some of the stuff just goes over the top... way over the top However, I still love the opportunity to play with these pictures and enhance my skills. I have a long way to go to achieve the level of a few in this group and that is what i aspire to... hard work and lost and losts of mistakes ( I have that part down pat ) and hopefully helpful critiques and examples of how to improve.

Looking at the pictures, only Doug's seems to have the requisite research, and analysis, but i am working on it. I didn't think the nez perce /glasses were apropo, but that is why I am still lerning. However, this is all personal opinion and perspective and that doesn't equate with honey... more like vinegar..LOL.

I still get my chuckles though. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Smile

Quote:
I didn't think the nez perce /glasses were apropo
Sean2, I think you meant 'pince-nez' for glasses. Nez Perce is an Indian tribe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 11:36 AM

seems a few are a bit touchy tonight (my time), chill out relax, don't take it so peronally
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 12:43 PM

actually, the glasses are not pince-nez. pinze-nez has no frame going to the ears on either side. they are supported solely by the nose.

i also made the mistake of adding in a wire frame to the left ear. there is NO evidence in the original that such existed.

and, i was also somewhat surprised at the voting this time. to me, the voting criteria as stated in the rules was... restore and make it in the style of an oil portraiture. this is a fairly distinct style. the rules stated: "Restore and turn the file into full-color oil painting." now, there is some leeway in that, but to me it meant make it like those old oil portraits you see hanging above a mantel or in a library of a wealthy home. they are generally a fairly heavy oil, often done on a dark background and often with a fairly gaudy, gilded, large gold frame. the portraits were expensive. they were commissioned only by the wealthy. and, they were commissioned only to well known artists who could capture the essence of person's face. they were not, therefore, impressionistic or some other style that would not capture what a person really looked like. they were close approximations of the person, done in a fairly classic style. i mean, why else would we first restore and then paint.

now, i'll admit something else here. i thought i would at least place this time and was quite disappointed that i've gotten no votes this time. i mean, i thought i'd done an excellent restore. but, in going over all the other entries and comparing them to the original in psp and then looking at mine the same way, it was obvious i'd missed a number of important things. so, no sour grapes here.

i will also critique anyone's piece if they wish to post it in the critique forum.

i also had an idea while sorting through all this contest voting and so on. recently, i think it was Ro who said in another forum, that retouchpro is something akin to a college. we are all learning here. and in that spirit, i think it would make an interesting contest to have 'preliminaries' or stages of voting. folks would enter their initial works. everyone's initial piece would be critiqued. there would be no voting yet, just critiqueing. there would then be a second stage where you would be allowed to correct and re-enter. then the voting would occur. this would keep with the 'we're here to learn' spirit of retouchpro. in looking at my own work on this contest, i've already gone back and corrected a few things just for my own satisfaction. i think this would be especially helpful to those that received no votes. heck, you could even do several stages of critiqueing if you wanted, spanning several months. or make it an additional contest separate from the normal monthly contest.... a 'learning' contest.

at any rate, my thanks to all who entered. i enjoyed looking at all the entries.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthig
Was so concentrated on finishing it that forgot that the deadline was 6pm EDT and now I won't be able to vote either truly sad.
So many good works, and having worked almost all month on this "messy guy" as I named the various versions I made I can really appreciate the marvelous results obtained by all.

Well congratulations to all !

T Paul, I wonder if it will be alright to post here the results of my efforts ?

Regards - Martha
Sorry to hear you missed the deadline, but feel free to post your results to this thread for others to critique!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthig
I am sorry Caitlin you could not post your entry. I've learned a few things with this challenge (I think !) and one of them is how much I still have to learn about image restoring !

Oh, well will post it in my gallery, I would hate to discard almost a month of very hard and frustrating work

I have a favourite but I guess we are not allowed to mention anything since we are not participants

Best regards - Martha
The Discussion thread is open to "discussion" so those that did not enter (as well as those who did) feel free to discuss what you liked or didn't like about the various entries. You can even put how you would have voted here. The votes won't count, but it allows the participants to see what people thought of their entries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin

i also had an idea while sorting through all this contest voting and so on. recently, i think it was Ro who said in another forum, that retouchpro is something akin to a college. we are all learning here. and in that spirit, i think it would make an interesting contest to have 'preliminaries' or stages of voting. folks would enter their initial works. everyone's initial piece would be critiqued. there would be no voting yet, just critiqueing. there would then be a second stage where you would be allowed to correct and re-enter. then the voting would occur. this would keep with the 'we're here to learn' spirit of retouchpro. in looking at my own work on this contest, i've already gone back and corrected a few things just for my own satisfaction. i think this would be especially helpful to those that received no votes. heck, you could even do several stages of critiqueing if you wanted, spanning several months. or make it an additional contest separate from the normal monthly contest.... a 'learning' contest.

at any rate, my thanks to all who entered. i enjoyed looking at all the entries.

Craig
Craig,

I like the idea of a two stage contest. Perhaps the first month is your initial entry and a week for those to critique and offer suggestions and then you have the second month to makes changes and then vote on the winner.

Are there others interested in this idea?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests