RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 10-01-2005, 12:32 PM

Woooo hoooo! Thanks to everyone who contributed all that time and creativity, and made this a very enjoyable (and educational) excercise. Lots of discussion, plenty of opinions, and a little controversy too. Probably not much enlightening in my steps, but here they are (as best as I can recollect):

1. Clean-up and re-construction layer - almost all clone tool stuff (built glasses too).
2. Neat Image to smooth (my b&w restore would still need a lot more work).
3. Unsharp mask filter (20-50-0) to sharpen and boost levels and contrast.
4. This is the one most would have preferred I skipped. I used the Rough Pastel filter (with stroke settings at minimum) to get the canvas texture. I applied this on the b&w image in the hopes that it would affect how the colour and strokes went on after (some areas showing thru more than others).
5. Colourized using new layers set to colour, and used fill & masks to paint large areas and low opacity brushes to paint smaller areas (lip, rosy cheeks, eyebrows).
6. The re-do of glasses to pince nez, and the odd collar to ascot was done at this point (mostly clone again).

Thanks again, and happy trick or treating.

Last edited by Doug Colwell; 10-02-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Congratulations Doug! Very deserving

Everyone did a wonderful job on a very difficult subject - kudos to all.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 02:30 PM

Now that the contest is over, I'm curious to see the restored versions of this fellow, from those that went that route. Any interest? If so, I'll be happy to post mine as well.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 03:10 PM

post away, kurt. i think i've still got mine somewhere. i was also thinking of posting an amended final entry. well, it's no longer an 'entry', but you know what i mean

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 04:05 PM

As you might expect, most of the time was spent healing and cloning. The coat, scarf, and shirt was borrowed from a Mr. Aaron Vanderpoel, who was kind enough to lend for this contest. Quite a bit of tailoring was needed for a proper fit.

I think my choice of a darker background only helped amplify the "cut out" look in my entry....if I had to do it over, I'd probably try something lighter.

- Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kschulz Sept-Restoration.jpg (85.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Congratulations, Doug!!!

Your entry was very well done and deserving of the win.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Kurt,

Your restoration has really captured the face I saw, but couldn't quite get.

If I can find my restoration stage, among the several versions I worked on, I'll post it.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine; 10-02-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Congratulations Doug and to all who participated in this contest.

I really enjoyed this contest. I liked the 3 levels of the challenge this time, and I found it to be a great learning experience. Thanks to all of you for your votes, comments, and critiques.

I had the hardest time with the restoration part of the contest, and spent hours cloning and repairing the man, and I think I agree with some of the comments about losing the likeness of the guy. For the painting part I tried to copy the style of John Singer Sargent. I decided to use his work as reference for my “painting” style and color. I love color and probably used a little too much in my portrait for the time period that it was in.

I used the Sargent brushes and oil cloners in Painter, and then switched back to PS to add paint texture and the smudge tool. My texture is paint strokes loaded onto a layer filled with 50% gray, and then set to overlay mode with an opacity adjustment. I then erased some of the strokes and also smudged them so they followed the contours of the image. The smudge tool on this texture overlay layer allows you to move paint strokes without touching the main background.

I have one of my restoration files, and one of a re-worked painting. I still have not quite captured the likeness of the man.

Cathy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2men.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Loverly's before and after of the old geezer

Okie,
Here is my before and after. (And.....For all you ninnies that couldn't see past the frame to vote on it I took it off for this!!!!! sheeeeesh!) ( had to get that out of my system!)

lol

Loverly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loverly_bwman.jpg (94.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Loverly; 10-01-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 08:05 PM

I am posting my restore only picture. I spent two weeks on this trying to restore the whole picture but eventually I gave up and cropped it.

This is my ‘clean up definite layer’ where I was sure I was right. Above this I had a ‘guess layer’ where I was not so sure. I’ve Not included my ‘guess layer’.

At first I thought I could see hands in the picture but then changed my mind and decided it was a table with a hammer or stick. There is also something on the right side of his coat but I couldn’t make it out and there is also what seems to be a white band round his waist

I expected TPaul or Doug to have the restored picture to post but this does not seem to be the case.

On the subject of the glasses. As this was a painting I thought the painter would have some ‘artistic licence’ to paint what he saw so I did not deduct points (or add them) for the glasses or for Cazubi’s fatter face.
However if this had been a restore only project the results would have been different.

I still feel that a three part project should have been marked on the three stages, and we should have all submitted three pictures for judging.

This is my second entry to a RP competition. In the first is got no votes (which taught me a lot). In this competition I got a couple of votes (this tells me I’m improving – Thank You) But it seems that until you get into the top five you get very little feedback. This seems to me that the best get better and the rest don’t improve.

So if anyone feels like critique my picture (good or bad) please feel free.

Lorraine
If your comment was intended for me I do not understand. Please explain.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Clean_Definate.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Cameraken; 10-01-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests