RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
But it seems that until you get into the top five you get very little feedback. This seems to me that the best get better and the rest don’t improve.
You've got a good point there Ken. It would be good for people to post their comments on more that the top 5. I can imagine in some cases people might not want to as they may only have criticism, but in a lot of cases there are good and bad in each entry that one could quite constructively comment upon. Maybe this can simply be part of the voting process, and those that have the patience could make comments on other entries (though not necessarily rank them).

It makes me wonder if using the 'Challenges' format could be useful for these contests - it allows bigger entries (200kb), and comments against each entry. Using this, with a linked voting and discussion thread, could be the best of both worlds.

Actually I've been thinking that with the Challenges area too - I think it would get a lot more activity if there was a matching thread in the forum to go with each challenge, for general discussion and to bring attention to the fact that a new challenge image had been posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Loverly...I guess I was a ninnie. I am glad that you put the larger picture up, because I think that it is very good. I could not make out much detail on the entry because...the frame was so big it made the picture too small. Very nice work.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Cameraken, I think your restoration progress looks good. The thing that bothered me on the final contest image were the eyes. They were a little to bright and not quite integrated enough into the picture. This was such a hard contest that just finishing it makes you a winner.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Lorraine
If your comment was intended for me I do not understand. Please explain.

Ken
Thanks and sorry about that, Ken. My post was meant for kschulz (Kurt). I've edited it.

Also, your restore is very good as well.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 AM

defintely an interesting contest. and congratz, doug!

here's my own restore. i purposely left the hair not quite done. i also used a new technique in doing most of this. i used almost no clone at all. instead, i used a LOT of 'push'. the idea in using push was to leave some texture and spotting to add to the texture of an oil. i used a very small brush as if painting the picture myself. this was during the restore portion of the project. you may also notice that at this point i hadnt added in the glasses stem to the left ear. not quite sure why i decided it shld have one later on.

i'm also posting the 'final' piece i wish i had posted instead of what i did. i noticed too late some flaws in the one i did post.

great contest. i too liked the stages aspect of this contest. very challenging.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restored-1-k-1.jpg (87.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Sept-contest-Craig-5-k-1c.jpg (73.8 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 PM

First of all, Congratulations to Doug , nicely done!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that offered comments about my entry, all really appreciated and helpful.

Kurt: Your guy was one of my very favorites. I would have had it in my top 5 but I couldn't get past the cutout look.

Lorraine: Yours was also one of my favorites. The only thing that kept it out of my 5 was that his hair didn't quite look like the original.

I've attached my restoration. Call me sick and twisted, but I kind of like cloning, and I knew I would have to do a fairly decent restoration. I couldn't go straight to painting like some of you talented folk. It's interesting to me how it's so easy for the appearance of a person to change with just a little manipulation. I think my guy started to look like Roger Ebert!

I knew all along that the glasses would be an issue. There was no evidence of a "temple" piece on the right but I could see something of a hinge on the left. Couldn't find anything conclusive when I googled "spectacle", so I mistakenly went with full glasses. Had I known how to animate, I would have made it there, and then disappear.

I agree with all of the constructive criticism about my entry, so I have tried to go back and change some things. I'm attaching a "fixed" version and would appreciate knowing if you think it's an improvement.

Everybody who gave this one a shot deserves a pat on the back.

Annabel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freddieanne-restore.jpg (97.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg freddieanneOrig.jpg (96.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg freddieannefixed.jpg (97.7 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 12:43 PM

Thumbs down

Congratulations Doug !!

A truly deserved win ! So, OK doesn't QUITE look like oil painting but IMHO the most outstanding feature of your submission is the feeling that you made it with the man right in front of you, it looks so real !! From the moment I saw it I knew it had to be the winner or be among the 5 finalists.

So there are 10 and all good ! I am (sort of) glad that could not post mine on time as I would not have known to pick just 5.

Congratulations to all !!

Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazubi
Loverly...I guess I was a ninnie. I am glad that you put the larger picture up, because I think that it is very good. I could not make out much detail on the entry because...the frame was so big it made the picture too small. Very nice work.

Cathy
lol..ahhh one "ninnie" confession! Thanks for the compliment!
I did have a look at it on the screen of a desk top computer and it looked fine to me size wise so I don't know what all the fuss was about really.
Some people didn't even complete the details of the man and they were included in some voters top 5 votes! Go figure? 1.restore the photo.( what part of that means leave out details or make him look totally different than the photo?) 2.turn into an oil paiting. (this part seemed like a free for all) lol

My vote on this matter is that the voting should not be done by the participants at all since the contest seemed to evolve into something different than the initial rules but should be voted on by other fellow digital restorers on this site.

Hugs,
Loverly
p.s. Congrats to Doug.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Loverly,

I really do like your larger version better than the one you used in the contest. There are far more details that I can see. The frame you chose for your entry is very much the period of that photo. But, since our entries are already limited to such a small size, your work stands out so much more the larger version.

Lorraine who likes both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 04:15 PM

freddianne,

Thanks so much for your comment on my entry. I think that when I got to the hair, I was just too tired and too busy to give anymore time to this.

Congrats to you on placing third. This was a very difficult contest.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests