RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 09-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Quicktime and TIFF

Raniday,

Quicktime associates graphic TIFF files to itself...and somewhat tenaciously! I had the same problems you're running into when trying to view TIFF files on the US Patent Office site. To get around this, I installed a shareware program called "Internetiff", which can be found here:

http://www.internetiff.com/docs/try.htm

It wrestles the TIFF association away from Quicktime, and now I am able to right-click Save As with no problem.

More information on this issue can be found here:

http://www.dot.co.pima.az.us/gis/web...fquicktime.htm

Hope this helps.

I opted to download the TIFF version for this month's challenge, mainly because I like to avoid the artifacts introduced by JPEG's lossy compression. Although the TIFF file IS huge, I resampled it in PS to an 8x10" 300dpi image to get something more reasonable to work with. Works well...

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul
If you want to restore by painting that will be acceptable. The key is that it must be a finished full-color oil painting--so the missing parts and so on must be corrected. I guess you may say that this is a 3-part contest:

1. Restore
2. Colorize
3. Change to an oil painting

You can choose in what order you approach it and how you plan to accomplish the tasks.
I'm sure it's a bit late in the game for this, but it might've been interesting to have everyone post all 3 of their final images - one for each stage If this didn't make the contest more challenging, the voting certainly would be!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:
but it might've been interesting to have everyone post all 3 of their final images - one for each stage
that assumes that everyone works the same way. what if someone is going directly from the original straight to the oil?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 AM

I have started playing with this, and if I have time to finish it it could become an entry ...

The only thing I am tussling with is - for the oil painting part ... I have Painter, but I feel guilty using it as some here have only an image editing program (I use Photoshop), I feel like it would be an unfair advantage to use Painter. So, my challenge is to do everything in Photoshop - except I don't really know the best ways to acheive an oil look in Photoshop, I have done blended watercolor types of things, but the texture and depth of oil I have not accomplished outside of painter ... I did a quick search here and didn't find anything. Does anyone here know of any good threads or tutorials that dabble in brushes / oils in Photoshop?

Thanks,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
that assumes that everyone works the same way. what if someone is going directly from the original straight to the oil?

Craig
That's why the suggestion ( half in jest ). Requiring posting of the final image for each stage would've made T and Doug's intent more clear. Would some still go straight to the oil? Possibly. But if you had to post all 3 anyways, it seems more likely one would do the painting based on a colorization that came after a restoration - which I gather from what T has said was the original idea.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Just my 2 cents, I can't see how without at least some restoration (extensive at least) one could go straight to oil as the detail just simply would not be there. My hardest issue was finding something that reminded me of an oil painting and all I could find was the smudge tool. Yes limited I am. The smudge tool reminded me greatly of my uncle's oil paintings but more recently I am struggling to recall a portrait of my aunt that he once did and I don't recall the daubs being as predominant, but that is beside the point. Art unfortunately is not my strong point so I cannot imagine how someone, unless very skilled could pull it off and if they could, then probably the skills should be rewarded. I realise the workflow idea was put in motion, however I think you have to rely upon integrity of the person, and restoration can be defined to include, cloning, painting or really any form of restoration that could be thought of including, as in loverly's borrowed body parts. Trully I cannot see real advantage/disadvantage here unless by definition a fixed definition or method for voiding can be set which I think is unattainable.

Trully this challenge is a discipline thing and an endurance thing I think, spending too much consolidated time on this image is decaying, I think you need the discipline to take frequent breaks and then return to the image. Trying to attempt this image in one go, you easily lose the plot.

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-07-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 AM

going straight to oil painting is possible, depending on your method. If you use straight filters then you would need quite a bit of restoration in key areas. If you prefer to actually 'paint' the image then you wouldnt need to restore it first.
Also if you were going for a more abstract painting style then restoration wouldnt be essential. Remember 'oil painting' is a very wide scope, it doesnt specify a style of painting, only the medium.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ele
I have started playing with this, and if I have time to finish it it could become an entry ... ...
... ... I did a quick search here and didn't find anything. Does anyone here know of any good threads or tutorials that dabble in brushes / oils in Photoshop?
Thanks,
Roger
Hi Roger,

I admire your wish to play "fair" with us strictly PS users and not resort to Painter. If you have not yet found another source here there is an explanation about turning a picture into an oilpainting image. Also you may find more tips here.
Hope it helps and welcome to the future clinic to treat the aftereffects of participating in this challenge. A possible name may be "we remember Doug and T Paul" or something like that

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM

thank you, nancyj! that's EXACTLY what i'm talking about. remember folks, 'oil painting' could mean everything from classical rembrandt/da vinci to impressionist, pointilist, impasto, cubist, and so on. i didnt see anywhere, anything in the rules that said 'classical only'. or which specified ANY style of oil. i could VERY easily see, for instance, completely bypassing the 'restoration' by doing a smudge oil.

T_Paul's original instructions:
Quote:
Directions:
Restore and turn the file into full-color oil painting.
the 'final' work would not necessarily show that one had done an intermediate restoration process. therefore, it's a moot step in my opinion. do it if that helps, but it's completely arbitrary that you do so for this contest. the ONLY thing that is going to be judged is the final result. assumptions that one has to restore before one can 'oil' are completely your own.

perhaps it would help to think of what an oil painting restorer goes through when he/she restores an old master or any other type painting.

and kschuz, ok, i got what you were saying. thanks

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 03:07 PM

I satill havent decided what style of painting to go for.
I love michelangelo's style - immaculate detail and barely a brushstroke visible - but that wouldnt do very well for a simulated oil painting challenge since the whole point is that its super realistic and not like a painting.

On the other hand, my wacky side loves fauvism but I'm not sure if that would work for this fella.

Theres too much damage and the picture is too old to do a good impressionist rendering of it, too much is lost to get any feeling from the subject at all IMO.

...its all very difficult
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests