RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 03:42 PM

I've been reading the posts and I'm getting the idea that some things are getting distorted here. Permit me a few lines......

Going straight to paint

I've done a lot of restoration, so have you all (I suppose). Many times before starting you can "see" (in your head) the original image under the damage but trying to get there by cloning / stamping / overlays / filters etc. etc.. takes a long time and often doesn't get you to exactly the image that you had seen.
So you say to yourself "why can't I just paint over this torn / dirty / moldy mess with what I saw?". But you won't do that (except for a touch of airbrush, maybe) because you're dong a restoration and not art.
Now what if someone (like Doug and T ) comes along and says "Do me a painting". Suddenly you're not restricted to the usual restorer's toolbox and the "leapfrog" option is now open - just paint what you "see" under the muck.
I ain't saying it's easy (or easier), I'm just saying that it's possible.

Photoshop (or PSP) vs. Painter

I think some people are missing the real issue here. There are two methods used for painting:

1) Start from a nice image and apply some (or various, or lots of) filters, plugins, blends etc. but without ever actually getting your mouse wet (as it were) with paint. Our friend Danny Raphael is a master at this, and a look at his posts will show that he comes up with REAL paintings by judicious application and masking of the impressionist plugin.
2) Apply mouse/pen brush paint strokes using the original image as a base. Could be "Smudge Painting", "Art History Brush", "Stamp Impressionist"/"Cloning" or actually "dipping" a brush in paint and painting.
Of these, only "Cloning" is restricted to Painter BUT the (neglected ) PS Stamp Impressionist works the same way.
Many, many people have done wonderful paintings in PS, and Painter is just another option and NOT A SUBSTITUTE.

Painter IS a good program, but it is NOT the answer to all your dreams, it certainly does not paint by itself, and for an image 800 x 600 all that fancy brushwork is just going to get lost in jpg compression.

so PS / PSP / Painter or whatever just remember, have fun!! OK?

PS: I also particpate in other more "arty" forums, and the best entries there are not always from Painter
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Go Rô!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM

I tend to favor the classical style and perhaps pointilism if done properly. However, even if the style of oil was in the air, the focus ( as i understand it) is on three steps: Restore (some semblance of the original individual); color (ascribe colors to various portions of the restored piece), and finally make it an oil.

I tend towards the darker pictures for the oils- dependent on their age/ wear and grime accumulation, but was disappointed in this one, as when the entire picture/ frame was completed and uploaded (or restored and colored as best one is able), the brush strokes were muted or almost imperceptible.

Looking forward to seeing others.

Sean

ps. did Faustina generate a tutorial for her July win?

Last edited by Sean2; 09-08-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM

Thank you all!!!

This is a very good discussion, which I've been following in detail.

I can't wait to see more results from those who really know what they're doing with this mess.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine; 09-08-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Wink

Quote:

My worst problem was trying to figure out his age and then contouring his face to bring out age lines, etc.

Lorraine
Lorraine,
I also had the same trouble. It was difficult to keep him looking old and not give him glamour skin! You did a fine job on your little man!

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 04:11 AM

Loverly, thank you for your kind comments.

Your version has depth and "sparkle" that I couldn't capture. You did a fantastic job, and without a Wacom -- oh my!!!!

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 AM

Wink

Thank you very much Lorraine,
This is more of a contest against myself and my abilities...... so I did spend probably way to much time on that photo and should have spent more!

Happy Weekend!

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Just to explain my last posting here.

This is what I saw in the original picture as soon as I saw it

From the pictures posted so far nobody else sees the same.

The table may be part of the frame but I am still not sure.

Please have a close look before you start laughing

I know none of this makes sense with the picture but the first time I looked at this I saw hands on a table.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hands_Ken_3c10202u.jpg (59.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 PM

Contest

Well, I have finished mine and I have to I think that this was the hardest and most challenging contest yet. I loved every tedious moment. The part that took me the longest was restoring the photo. I am glad that I had lots of practice from doing the challeges on this site.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Red face

Hi Ken,

interesting thought. Not relevant to tightly cropped efforts, but an interesting find. You have me wondering though. Now I have to go back and do some razzle dazzle with the channels (play) again...

Thanks.

Question for T-Paul:

In restoration of a picture, are we looking only at the picture within the frame or the entire picture (inclusive of the frame) provided us or.... is restoration an artful interpretation of the figure
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests