RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Discussion

Old 09-10-2005, 03:20 PM

Thumbs down To all posters so far

I felt I had to let you know how I admire the work you all have posted so far, I have been working on my attempt every day and never like what I get, and am on the restoring part of it!. Makes me realize how little I know about this art --no doubt it is an art. I will finish it though with heavens know what results .

Well will attack Mr. messed up once more

Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
marthig posted
Hi Roger

I admire your wish to play "fair" with us strictly PS users and not resort to Painter. If you have not yet found another source here there is an explanation about turning a picture into an oilpainting image. Also you may find more tips here.
Hope it helps and welcome to the future clinic to treat the aftereffects of participating in this challenge. A possible name may be "we remember Doug and T Paul" or something like that
Thanks, Martha

I just posted mine and did it all in photoshop.

I noticed that I was the only one that removed the collar - I wasn't sure how it went together, and since this was an interpretive oil rather than a restoration I figured I would have him look the way I wanted him to - I know - the arrogance ...

To byRO,

I read through your post regarding Photoshop or Painter and you have it spot on - I just wanted to see for myself if I could do it all in Photoshop and what it would look like without the Painter assist.

-Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 12:09 AM

I think that's called "flare" Roger ... i kinda like it

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 07:59 AM

Hi all, this collar thing has had me bugged too. I seem to remember coming across a similar pic a long time ago, and I seem to also remember something about this garb being associated with a profession (lawyer or banker?). My googles have been unsuccessful, so I was hoping one of the senior members (150 years old or so) might have more info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Colwell
Hi all, this collar thing has had me bugged too. I seem to remember coming across a similar pic a long time ago, and I seem to also remember something about this garb being associated with a profession (lawyer or banker?). My googles have been unsuccessful, so I was hoping one of the senior members (150 years old or so) might have more info.
Hi Doug !

I also first thought that the white band on his left side was one of the many smudges in the photo but then I went back to where we downloaded it and is full of images (daguerreotypes mostly) of guys of that period, about 1840 through 1870.

That type of collar must have been a most uncomfortable thing to wear. I don't know about their being some sort of professional thing, looking at the other images though, it seems to me it was mostly a (sadistic) fashion trend.

Did you people know that of the hundreds of images in that site, Doug (our dear Janitor) picked the most damaged one ?! Must not complain as I am learning quite a few things, among them to admire you professional retouchers

Regards - Martha

P.S.: BTW I am a few years younger than 150 !
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 AM

I had trouble with the collar too. I figured it was a rigid Gladstone collar, but I just couldn't quite figure out where it was on the other side of his face, so I just left that side collarless. I like Doug's little hint of a collar on the left side, but I wasn't quite sure where to put it, as I figured it would be standing up straight, and not lying flat.
I did the whole thing in Paint Shop Pro 7, which is all I have here at work. I couldn't quite get a nice paint effect going (certainly nothing like I could have done in Photoshop) Does anyone have any helpful hints for a nice effect using Paint Shop only? I used the brush strokes effect on a duplicated layer, then blurred the layer and set it to about 50% opacity, as the brush storkes effect seems way too harsh and pixelised for my taste.

Fembot
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2
Hi Ken,
Question for T-Paul:

In restoration of a picture, are we looking only at the picture within the frame or the entire picture (inclusive of the frame) provided us or.... is restoration an artful interpretation of the figure
You can choose to work with the picture with or without the frame.

Restoration-wise, restore the photo to the best of your ability, some interpretation will be required, but try to stay fairly true to the photo vs an abstract interpretation (no Picasso's please).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 AM

Thanks T Paul,

I'm still struggling through the glossary of terms and trying to understand how to adhere to the guidelines.

For those of you who may have taken offense at my question, please do consider it as being surrounded by all the usual (sometines stated, sometimes not) caveats of being a newbie; not having done this long enough; my own confusion and interpretation over instructions and what finally is posted and the stumbling efforts we all take to get there, and oh yes! that resident pit bull: frustration - with the end -product.

Thanks again T-Paul

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 AM

As to the collar...this one is pretty much spot on.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 12:32 PM

HI all. Thought I would share my quick and dirty version of the oil. I did NO cloning. Always looking for a faster way, I tried turning the portrait into a sketch, then painted in the colors in both Painter and PHotoshop. Lazy, I know! Anyhow just wonderful versions so far.
MargaretM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests