Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2005, 11:13 AM
oddly, picking out the best was quite easy this time. the hard part was the runner-ups. in fact, picking out my top three was fairly easy. the criteria was RESTORE and OIL. that meant to me that the gentleman had to look like the gentleman in the style of oil portrait. this is a very distinct style. a number of folks went for something else and whereas nice renderings, just didnt meet the criteria.

to me, part of this contest is, how well can you follow instructions. in the real world that would translate to how well can you duplicate a customer's instructions and criteria and therefore is VERY important, not a side issue. so, no matter how nice a piece is, if it doesnt meet the rules criteria, it's out.

thus, my votes go:

1. Loverly. overall, this just looks the most like the old, oil portraitures we've all seen hanging on walls in big frames with dark backgrounds and maybe a small light shining up on the thing. excellent restoration. excellent oil look. hands down the best. this guy just looks like one of those portraits of a banker, oil baron, industrialist, done around the early 1900's or so.

2. doug colwell. i wasnt real keen on the 'canvas texture', but the rest was excellent. very good restoration. got all the details duplicated without distortion. those old oils were done in heavy oil, thus the heavy canvas texture was unwarranted. but still, a very nice job.

3. kshulz. also very nicely restored. no marks lost on that. why you didnt beat out doug, in my opinion was, you missed a bit on the oil look. it was good, but not quite 'oil'. i specially liked your treatment on the clothing. i also think you had a bit too much 'canvas texture' for an oil.

4. cazubi. this was a toss-up between cazubi and freddieanne. both missed a bit on the restoration details. thus, the gentleman didnt quite look like himself. you straightened his nose. he actually looks to have something like a boxer's broken nose effect going on in the original. both you and freddie took this out. you definitely nailed the oil effect. very nicely done. wouldnt have been my choices on clothing color, but no marks off on that.

5. freddieanne. like i said in cazubi's, missed a bit on the restoration. you thinned his head and elongated or straightened the nose a bit. thus, he didnt quite look like himself. you also did a very nice job on the oil. the ear wasnt quite right either. still, a very nice job overall.

some have questioned the frame of the glasses. shld you add in the missing frame or not. to me, this was a secondary question when compared to how well did the gentleman's overall look and restoration compare to the original. it is a valid point, however, and was considered. it just happened that it didnt really make much of a difference in the final analysis....this time.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
1. BobDown - This to me just stands on it's own as a really good painting. It's a good like-ness too, but that's a bonus.

2. byRo - This one 'screams' expressionism. Very Edvard Munchy (19th century) and very well done. Probably would have lost you the commission, and your carreer as a portrait painter, but it eventually sold for 1.2 million (postumously).

3. Freddieanne - Very painterly, nice brush work, good likeness and colours.

4. Shalford - Another good likeness. Definite painted look edge to edge. Nice colours too.

5. Loverly - Had so much trouble ranking this one. Would have been first in restore and colourize. The frame and signature make it look like a realistic painting, but without them it doesn't look painted enough to me.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:54 AM
1. Cazubi –
A wonderful interpretation, looks like an oil to me. Great detail.

2. Loverly -
I ignored the frame in this one and zoomed into the actual image, looks like a painting, very well done.

3. Freddianne
I think the colours on this entry are just right. Reminds me of what you might see hanging in a gallery.

4. Doug Colwell –
Very clear, good idea to crop close – shows up the good restoration work. Nice choice of colours.

5. Kshulz
This would have been a lot further up my list had it not had that cut and paste look. A great shame, the figure of the man is superbly done.

I wish the voting was left to someone else, and not us.
I found it extremely difficult to choose out of a great batch of entries.
I don’t think anybody will lose here, all very well done.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:10 PM

1. Doug Colwell
Excellent restoration and likeness. Looks more like a soft pastel than an oil but it's certainly possible to get this effect in oil so I've placed this one first.

2. Loverly
Liked the restoration and traditional look of the painting. To be picky, not sure if the dark thick lines at the top of the shoulders should be there. I assume the light is coming from above (highlights on face and hair) and this would soften the harsh lines.

3. Fembot
Excellent likeness and restoration. Would have liked to see more detail in the dark clothing and more shading around the neck tie thing.

4. Lorraine
Liked the overall painting. Not convinced by the hair and neck tie.

5. Shalford
Liked the oil painting effect. Not convinced by the clothing.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:53 PM
This was truly the hardest one EVER to judge. But, vote we must.

#1 Loverly - Some achieved closer likeness and some maybe better oil painting effect, but I think this came closest in achieving both. (Does that make sense?) And, you did it fast!

#2 Doug - Amazing (best IMO) job on the likeness of the old guy. Not quite completely convinced it looks like an oil painting.

#3 Cazubi - Beautiful, (best IMO) painting technique. Just didn't quite look completely like the himself.

#4 Fembot - Again, one of the best in likeness. Cropped a little tightly perhaps.

#5 Shalford - One of the very best at achieving both likeness and oil painting effect.

There were several other really excellent ones I would have liked to include. Anyone who even tackled this one is a winner. Congratulations!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:02 AM
I was looking for a combination of great likeness and a great oil painting effect, which was more difficult than I thought:

1 Loverly - This is a great likeness, the colours are really good. I think the jacket looks a bit weird in places, but overall this is the best package of likeness and painting effects. Lovely job!

2 Doug Colwell - Again, a good restoration, and someone who agrees with me that the spectacles don't have any arms (I couldn't find any evidence, anyway). I'm not a great fan of this "canvas" effect, and it looks more like a pastel or drawing, but this is a good picture nonetheless. Great likeness!

3 Cazubi - I don't really think this is a great likeness, he looks a bit feminine somehow, but I love the details, and that palet knife effect is absolutely wonderful. In terms of an oil painting effect this is the best, please share your method!

4 K Schultz - Going for likeness again, he looks properly miserable, good work! The eyes are too bright in my opinion and he looks very cut out of the background, but facially I like this one (and again no arms on the spectacles, bravo!)

5 Bob Down - I really like the colours in this one. It's more of a free interpretation in terms of likeness, but as a painting on its own it works well.

Great work everyone, this was a hard one!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 AM
My votes:

1- Bob Down - the background is a bit "hot" but can't beat your restoration! WOW!
2- Shalford
3- freddieanne
4- Cameraken
5- byRo
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Well done everyone. I think everyone who attempted this deserves a prize.
I picked out the top eight fairly easily But found it very difficult to miss out 3 of them

1) Cabuzi
2) Freddieanne
3) Kschulz
4) Doug Colwell
5) Shalford
Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I just never got going in a direction that worked for me on this one, obviously; I applaud everyone who did. Very tough voting. I could probably wait till morning and come up with a different list.

1 Doug Coldwell, well executed detail
2 Cazubi, I really liked the colors
3 Shalford, believable restoration
4 Kiska, interesting abstracted portrait
5 Bob Down, good texture & line
Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Here's my vote.
1. Bob Down - great job overall with good detail lines, yet the original face.
2.Freddieanne - a close second. Very nice.
3.Lorraine - very nice. just had a little problem with the hairline.
4.DougColwell - as always a great job. I felt the texture was a little too much overwhelming the detail.
5. Loverly-nice. I found the frame is a little distracting.
Honorable mention to Cabuzi- great job and would have gone for a 1 here but thought that the face had changed shape and become too plump; Cameraken - great glasses and eyes.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests