Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Sep 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Sep 05 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 24 Sep to 30 Sep 2005. Deadline for votes is 6pm EDT 30 Sep 2005.
Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments to the Sep 05 Discussion Thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Well it’s time to vote. Remember to make sure you have the most current version of the entry as many changed throughout the month. If there is an edit tag at the end of the post, then most likely the entry has been changed.

Also when viewing the images, make sure you view the full image and not just the thumbnail. Furthermore make sure the full image is completely opened as many browsers shrink images to fit within the screen view. If you place your mouse over the image and a box with arrows pointing out appears in the lower corner, this indicates that the image is not full size and you need to expand the image to regular size. Just click on the arrow box to perform this action.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Thumbs down Loverly's vote

My criteria for voting was that the lil man had to look very close to the original or what was left of it! It was difficult to keep him looking old I thought so that was my second critieria. If I were paying someone to restore this photo and make it a painting I would sure want grandpa to look as close to the original as possible.
I guess we are supposed to give our reason why we voted for each which seems hard to do since I don't want to hurt anyones feelings with my opinions.

Good work everyone and good luck!

1.Doug-His glasses were incomplete as well as his collar but mostly he looked very close to the old guy and about the same age and I liked the colors. Would have liked to see a bit more detail on him but overall he was the closest I could find to the original.

2.Fembot--His glasses and collar are also incomplete but still he looks old enough to me as well as as close to the original as possible.

3.Shalford-His glasses are also incomplete but he has both sides of his collar! Colors are nice and he looks good age wise compaired to the original.

4.Freddieanne-Good work on the painting part. I felt he just didn't quit look like he was the same age as the photo but the details are very nice as well as the colors. His ear is a bit different which seems to make him look a bit different than the original.

5.Lorraine-He has completed glasses and collar! The hair makes him look a bit different than the photo. The painting part is very nice as well as the colors you have chosen. His age seems a bit younger than the original.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
I went more for the oil-painting side, but still being faithful to the original.

1.Doug Colwell - First rate stuff! Well executed, and maintained the atmosphere of the original.

2.cazubi - Ended up a lot younger than the original - your client might be quite happy about that, but here you lost some points.

3.freddianne - the background was the easy bit. Some lighting there would have helped a lot.

4.Bob Down - (Welcome to RetouchPRO ) nicely executed very bravely painted, although the hair's going the wrong way, and the background doesn't exactly combine.

5.Camaraken - Lots of good things going on, but didn't seem to come together. Is that a beard?

Just missed out....
Loverly - with so much frame and border the actual image ended up pretty small. Otherwise could have been in the top five.
Lorraine - very good except that the hair is going the wrong way, and the high contrast necktie doesn't fit in with the rest.

....however, I believe that all who even attempted this one are winners!

Old 09-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Congratulations to all entrants. Everyone did a great job.
In picking my top five, I based my selections on (1) the restoration, (2) the painterly effects and (3) colorization. My choices are:

1. freddieanne
2. Loverly
3. Bob Downe
4. cazubi
5. Doug Colwell

Old 09-24-2005, 05:39 AM
I based my voting mainly on the capture of the details with comparison to the original, then followed by aesthetics to my eye.

I really hate voting on this as everyone who attempted this and posted a pic really deserves a congrats.

Nominating 5 for me was almost impossible.

1. Doug Colwell
2. Loverly
3. Fembot
4. Kschulz
5. Freddieanne
Old 09-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Thumbs down

This has been the most difficult contest to vote on! All great entries, with a wide range of accuracy, styles, and flair. After much wringing-of-hands and gnashing-of-teeth, I decided to base ranking primarily on how well the end result represents an accurate restoration, and less on artistic flair which is abundant in every entry.

1) Doug Colwell - although seeming to have less detail, it still manages to imply a very accurate restoration, correctly capturing the pince-nez style spectacles and the era coat, collar and scarf. Downside, looks more like a pastel than oil to me.

2) Shalford - very well done. Excellent restoration, same comments as for Doug's above as far as accuracy. Face may be just a bit beefy. Great oil rendering.

3) Freddieanne - in my opinion, best overall oil painting effect, while still maintaining a believable restoration.

4) Fembot - excellent job capturing the facial features!

5) Loverly - good overall restoration and oil painting effect.

Great job everyone!!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:30 AM
September Contest

This was a very tough challenge and a good learning experience. My choices were based on the rules as I understood them: restoration, colorize, and make into an oil painting.

I think that there are some very good restorations in this contest, but some missed the mark on being “oil paintings”. Some were very nice sketches and pastels, but they are not very painterly. I picked work that I felt met the criteria of the contest in all three areas of the rules.

2. Bob Down
3. Lorraine
4. byRo
5. Shalford

I think honorable mention goes to Doug Colwell on a fantastic restoration, but missed on the oil painting look.

I think everyone that participated in this challenge did a great job.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:12 AM
1. shalford - good likeness, right nostril a little wierd, REALLY an oil?
2. loverly - overall great heavy oil, frame is a bit much
3. freddieanne - good likeness, no detail in coat
4. kschulz - great detail in coat, collar a little off
5. raniday - unique thin oil rendering
Old 09-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi All,

Congratulations to all.

Looking over the images, I don't have a sniff what y'all are voting on

So, good luck to whoever acquires the most votes.

I'm out.

Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests