Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Oct 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Thank you Caitlin for making it easier to view the entries.

Congratulations everyone on your “chilling” renditions. My husband has been looking at me strangely ever since I showed him my entry, and I told him how much fun I had doing it. I had a very hard time choosing this time, and I had several favorites. Since the goal was “realism” I finally picked the ones that I felt fit that criteria.

1. Nancyj: the term “less is more” seems to apply here. It reminds me of an old B monster movie from the 1950’s or 60’s. Very nice blending work.
2. bobdown: Excellent blending of your composite elements, especially the tattoos.
3. Twinbnj: Scary and realistic.
4. grafx: Nice blending. Very creepy.
5. shalford: I like your grizzly concept. A few more snake shadows and blending would have put it higher for me.
Honorable mention goes to some very nice scary pictures: chrishoggy, delong72, legacyart and peth.

Raniday and Caitlin: I admire how artistic your entries are.

Last edited by cazubi; 10-23-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm with raniday on this - realism?? As soon as a fang appears or the skin turns green, it's no longer realistic. Beyond that, is it a question of how far you go with it? The fact that anyone sees any of these as realistic is what scares me the most...

Based on creativity, technique and scary factor alone...

1) Grafx - Great blending, very well done artistically, and high on the fright scale. Great job.

2) Cazubi - Excellent! Scariest of them all. Only drawback, some skin (hide?) wounds look more like chipped stone.

3) Shalford - excellent effects on the skin and eyes, especially the torn cornea. Made me cry too, but only 'cause I felt compelled to abandon my original snake-based rendition after seeing this Would've rated higher if the lighting on the snake matched the rest.

4) Caitlin - very occult-ish feel...which always gives me the creeps . I really like the composition. Makes a great poster.

5) Lorraine - guess I'm another Wizard of Oz fan. The faces in the flames is a fantastic idea and well done. Need shadowing under the hat.

Honorable mention to everyone else who participated - they're all very well done! Happy Halloween!

- Kurt
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Here are my votes:

1- NancyJ: I loved the realistic side of your entry.
2- bobdown: Great tattoos/facial wound.
3- Chrishoggy: Talk about wrinkles...
4- Cazubi: Very creepy looking dude...if only he'd been more realistic. (I would not want to meet anything that looked like that!)
5- graphx: Another very creepy looking individual!

Congratulations to all the other participants... there sure are some twisted minds operating around here!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 AM
I am sure to have nightmares now!

1.Delong72 - That scared me when i enlarged it, i said out loud EWWW so as halloween goes that is a keeps!

2.Shalford - OH MY GOD it took me a 2nd look to realise where that snake was coming from this is what nightmares are made of!

3.bobdown - As you can see i was going for scary halloween, and that ewwww where do you get your imagination from?

4.nancyj_halloween - That is very realistic, looks like a man possessed!

5.CameraKen_Oct - Now that is clever, getting both of them in, and vampires too, well done!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 AM
We're all sick individuals and I love you all!

1. Cazubi - Very gruesome and I love the blind eye.
2. delong72 - The "blood" looks very wet.
3. chrishoggy - Love the pruney look w/ that eyebrow ridge.
4. bobdown - Nice idea of tatoos.
5. nancyj - Good shadows for the concaved face.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
No votes

Undeniably beautiful pictures, ideas, creativity and blending abilities exhibited in the group.. wish I had that flare.

Realism ...3
Creativity 100

Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Here's my top 5 pick:

1. Bob down - excellent! Love the tattoos (I tried very hard to get one on my guy but didn't like the result), and the blood and eye socket are really well done. It all melds together great, and I love the attention to detail (love the rolling eye).

2. Cazubi - Equally expert and effective as Bob's entry. Just a little more cartoonish.

3. Delong72 - without doubt the most gruesome of the lot. Yuck!

4. Shalford - The perspective on the snake is a flaw on this one, but the idea is terrific, and the snake skin brow, and the rest of his face a great. Love the 'greying' dead flesh around the holes in his face. The mouth looks a bit strange and not real though.

5. Raniday - lovely overall effect, though a but garish for my tastes.

Honourable mentions:

Liquidman (philbach) - I really like this one, specifically the green 'hulk' physique. The eyes and mouth could do with a bit of finessing though.

Lorraine - Some really good elements, but I didn't feel they all 'melded' or went together that well - the hat was a bit pasted on, and she had a rather blurry wart on her forehead!

kshultz - this was was quite brilliant, and I'd be interested to know if it was all drawn from scratch. My problem with it was there was no hint of the original picture left.

kayakbob - really inventive, if it wasn't for some serious focus problems this would have made the top 5.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 AM
Spooky selections...

1. nancyj - this guy needs a big hug. Really simple idea and it works well. Wonder if it would be even more "realistic" without the red eyes?
2. cazubi - wouldn't like to meet him on the way back from the pub! Would have placed this higher if the hair had blended better. It is almost too realistic when you compare it to the cartoon style of the other parts of the image. Great composition though.
3. caitlin - like the strong composition and layer blending.
4. shalford - no wonder this made your grandson cry!
5. delong72 - not the kind of guy I'd like my daughter (if I had one) to bring home for dinner. Nice idea and like the tight crop.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 PM
1) Cazubi
2) Lorraine
3) grafx
4) kschultz
5) bobdown

Lots of really good ones - It made voting as much work as doing it.
Congratualtions to everyone!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Hmm, too difficult for me to vote, but here goes, I got stuck on the definition of reality/realism and makeup artist

1. Lorraine
2. Chrishoggy
3. Kayakbob
4. Caitlin
5. Philbach

Many thanks to Caitlin for the easily digestible web page
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests