RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Oct 05 Contest Discussion

Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 AM

NancyJ - Thank you no one ever picked me before, so thanks for adding me, what i saw when i did that picture, was a woman's scorn on halloween, her eyes being green, so she was jealous, and the face it was scarred due to acid, i let you work out the rest. I guess my imagination is alittle deep LOL!

My research was acne scared skin, i overlayed it LOL

Thanks too for the honorable mention!!!

Last edited by Legacy~Art; 10-24-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Acid... lovely *shudder*. Great pic
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 04:16 AM

Thanks so much, Catilin. That's a lot of work for you. I appreciate it.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Smile

Just to clarify my comments on the realism thing.

I was looking at compositing that could have looked like a makeup artist actually did the make-up and then the subject was photographed. This is 'real' in my terms. I agree that this is achieved by blending, shading etc...

A successful composite in my opinion is one where you can't pick the techniques used to get the final result... this gives it the appearance of being real. This applies to any job we do whether it be a restoration, manipulation or retouching.

The only exception is if we are asked to create a piece of art, which is then completely subjective and the techniques play a more important role - just as watercolour, oils or montage for example create different looks in conventional art.

Phew! With that said and done, we're no doubt all here because we love what we do whether it be in a professional sense or not and I'd guess that we all do it because it's loads of fun, so sorry if I got too serious on you all.

Have a great week.

Peth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 04:45 PM

Seriously, everyone has to be less serious! I asked for clarification from T Paul at the start of the competition about this term 'realism' because I could just tell it was going to turn into a debate again. Her reply was:

"When I say "realistic" I mean the people. Since some may choose to add parts to create their "monsters", I want to make sure that the "cut-n-paste" isn't obvious. So if you add features you will want to make sure you match the lighting, perspective and so on"

Now this still leaves stuff very open, as far as I was concerned it meant I could do what I liked to the overall picture - including effects, textures etc. But I was well aware with my entry I was taking a big risk in people's interpretation of the rules, but as I was happy with my results I decided it wasn't a concern for me.

When it comes down to it I think that the MAIN part of the challenge was to create a cool looking ghoul, and the 'realism' is secondary. Just vote for the ones you like guys and have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Now this still leaves stuff very open, as far as I was concerned it meant I could do what I liked to the overall picture - including effects, textures etc. But I was well aware with my entry I was taking a big risk in people's interpretation of the rules, but as I was happy with my results I decided it wasn't a concern for me.
It shouldnt have been a risk though, there was nothing wrong with your entry - it was in my list till you added the canvas texture - really must learn to leave it alone
Your entry was wonderful and shouldnt be penalised because it was the only 'composition', it was well within the required level of 'realism'. Perhaps the original rules should have been updated with the clarification.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 PM

Caitlin - my ghoul was done by blending various parts together (mountain goat skull, jawbone, brain, teeth, tongue, large eye, etc.) together in layers, then drawing the capillaries, veins, blood, brain fluids, small eye. The rest was color and lighting matching.

Once I started with the layers, I couldn't stop. I agree the result suffers from rampant monsteritis, leaving little of the original.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the photo album setup - sure makes for easy viewing!

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:31 AM

I think everybody needs to chill out. There should be another rule that states, "If you are go on and on about the rules, don't enter".
This is supposed to be a bit of fun between members, and so far it has started conflict over opinions/interpretations of the rules in nearly every contest. I think it's now a good idea to keep opinions on the rules out of the discussion, and let other members/voters decide for themselves if an image is within the rules or not.
Sorry if this upsets any members, but discussing rules and restrictions really put me off entering this contest. It was one of the reasons I didn't enter the last contest. But as this contest was open and creative, I thought there would be no problems. I came back off holiday a few days ago to find the same thing happening again.
With that in mind, I will cast my vote in this contest, but will not enter another.
It's a shame that a friendly contest can't be exactly that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:45 AM

@Bob:
Yeah, I dont like the eyes either, I actually came back to change them when I found out it was voting time already
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 AM

Hey guys, I'm hoping my comment when I voted isn't one of those that's causing a stir. To say I don't see much realism, isn't meant as a condemnation, just my reasoning behind my votes. Some folks can go on for half a page about why they did or did not vote for this or that. I'm economical, so a sentence or two does it for me. I've enjoyed entering these contests, though I never expect to get many votes because I lean towards artsy-fartsy, and a majority of the votes is always cast for the more objective, so a disclaimer seemed in order. It's easy to get your feathers ruffled in a forum; by nature, I'm a peacemaker, not a feather ruffler. If I ever inadvertently ruffle yours, I hope you'll PM me; I'll 'splain what I meant, give you a virtual hug, and we'll go on our way. Ok, that's a lot of rambling for a Raniday; I'll hush now..............
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests