RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Oct 05 Contest Discussion

Old 10-25-2005, 01:20 PM

Smile

Ditto to Raniday's comments. With one addition... This contest is a little like American Idol (or Australian Idol Caitlin... we won't mention NZ Idol 'cos it's crap).

But anyway, sometime we agree with the public votes and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we all think Simon is way off the mark and too harsh and sometimes he's bang on the button. That's a huge part of why people are drawn to watch it week after week. It's not likely that Idol will change it's formula and neither should this contest. At least if you don't get any votes you can come back next week, otherwise I'd be completely screwed.

I'm Peth and you've been watching Retouchpro Idol. Goodnight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM

You know, rules, no rules it really doesn't matter too much for me. Everyone interprets things differently and that is the whole nature of things. I'm in it for the "flexing of the retouching muscles" If I get a vote or two, great, if not, oh well, I had fun and got to see many other talented people flex as well. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 PM

i agree with raniday, graphx etc...

We don't really need rules. We are not really being judged on adherence to them and I think we all want to learn/stretch or test our photoshop skills. That said. Why not simply put up monthly images, open the category and say: "Go for it" - everyone gets to vote Everyone gets to participate and the "prettiest" voted picture wins. After all, that is the end goal or result of what we are doing..isn't it? No Simons, no Idols, just the best all around picture/ retouch/ illustration/ sketch. Whatever, appeals to people at the end of the month from the various entries wins -

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 03:04 PM

well, i didnt enter this time, but i certainly read the rules, followed the discussion and looked at all the entries. great work, btw!

to me, the rules were pretty simple. this whole question of 'real' wasnt about if monsters were real or not, it was if monsters were real, what would they look like? make a 'realistic' monster is really pretty simple. how would a good hollywood makeup artist make a monster? and if you then photographed it, why there you go. seems pretty simple to me. all the rules of photographic retouching, restoring, and manipulation would apply. a smudged face is a smudged face. coloring outside the lines is coloring outside the lines. real is more or less based on agreement. if we all see a red ball sitting in the middle of a room, why then we're all in agreement. but if one person sees the ball as blue, then that person is out of agreement. he still sees the ball as blue, however, even if he is out of agreement. so, my reality isnt always the same for everyone else and thus we have disagreements. the trick isnt to get everyone agreeing; the trick is to realize that that's ok that we dont always.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Hey peth, I like your "idol" analogy. I don't mind having rules in the contest. They kind of keep you focused on a goal and still allow creativity in the work.
I am always surprised about how varied the voting becomes, and how the rules are interpreted in so many ways. I wonder if an "open" voting process for members whether they entered or not might be a consideration for a future contest?

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 PM

Well, I'm going to be me and disagree. If rules exist then they should be followed, in the entries and the voting, otherwise theres no point in having rules. If there were no rules then it wouldnt be a problem and everyone could just do whatever they want and then vote for the one they like the best.
But there are rules, so they should be followed, T Paul goes to the trouble of organising these competitions and he always gives specific instructions and rules, surely you must agree he has some reason for doing so?
If we want to just have a free for all, then why not ask TPaul to not give rules and have free for all competitions, then its fair for everyone, even newcommers who dont know that the general concensus is that rules dont matter and may lose out because they tried to follow the rules.

Either have rules and stick to them, or dont have rules at all - its the only way to be fair.

Last edited by NancyJ; 10-25-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 PM

Craig and Nancyj, I think that you make some very good points.

Cathy

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM

I think there can be a bit of a clash between a desire to keep the competition open to creativity, and setting rules though. Sometimes that can mean there is room for differing interpretations.

T Paul always has an instruction of some kind, but some months (not all) they then generate a lot of debate and questions. Straightforward competitions like restoration, colourisation, retouches (the pasted wedding smile several months ago) etc don't cause a problem. It's the more creative ones like this. Personally I think it would probably be better in cases like this to not give any limitation, because everyone still interprets it differently, and it ends up causing some angst for some people. Where it comes to creative interpretations, it would probably be easier to give everyone free reign.

On the other hand the oil painting last month - became a debate on what an oil painting should look like. Maybe in that case more prescriptive instructions would be one option (eg the old masters)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM

Peth, being a huge American Idol fan, I love your analogy! Some weeks I want to clobber Simon, but I'll be back next week to watch. And some months I totally don't understand the voting here, but so far, I've been back each month to give it another shot.
Sean2, your suggestion makes sense to me. It's the nature of art to express ourselves freely, and "rules" seem to be getting in our way, making some people feel as if "I followed the rules, and he/she didn't!" Some people are more comfortable with the boundaries laid down by rules. I'm not one of those people. I was always better at essay questions than True/False or fill in the blank.
And finally,
Quote:
so, my reality isnt always the same for everyone else and thus we have disagreements. the trick isnt to get everyone agreeing; the trick is to realize that that's ok that we dont always.
I think you nailed it, Craig.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 08:23 PM

I would think anyone entering "felt" they followed the rules,
--- it's those of us who have chosen not to see what the artist has seen that ask the question.

JMHO

Last edited by TwinbNJ; 10-25-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests