RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM

I noticed that it was possible to upload a modified version of the image.
How ?
*/ Lazze_gurra
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazze_gurra
I noticed that it was possible to upload a modified version of the image.
How ?
*/ Lazze_gurra

Now that's one thing that I'm getting good at

Go to your post, click Edit. In the edit screen, scroll down to "Manage Attachments." Click on Manage Attachments, and a pop-up window opens. Remove the current attachment, and then upload your new version.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
That's exactly what I'm working on!

Thanks to my constant nagging about definitions and promotion of occasional nitpikfests, I have been graciously "awarded" the position of Moderator for the "Glossary" forum. (Did you know that RP has a glossary forum?)

I haven't posted anything there yet, still thinking of how best to go about it. Come lunchtime, I'll post a "sticky" there with some ideas.

Here is a quick attempt...

retouch
1.To add new details or touches to for correction or improvement (i.e. color and tone correction).
2.To improve or change (a photographic negative or print), as by adding minor details (i.e. highlights in eyes) or removing flaws (i.e. blemishes, cracks, tears).
restore
1.To bring back to an original condition: restore a photo.
manipulation
1.changing the look of a photo by adding or deleting elements to it, and/or altering existing elements (i.e. shrinking a nose, removing a person)
photo art –
1. Changing the appearance of a photo to look like it was created in an art medium such as oil, watercolor, pencil, charcoal, crayon and so on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 AM

A question Phil

I'm guessing that your daughter's hair is (or at least, was) aubern when she was a little tacker. Is that correct or is it just a result of the colour cast? And what colour are her eyes?

To everyone else,
This is why I joined. The quality of so many of the entries is outstanding. I'm really interested in how anyone working on a mac platform has dealt with the paper texture. I downloaded the fft filter but can't seem to get it to work properly. It's doing my head in, I'm normally pretty good with techo things... really! . Anywy, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Go to your post, click Edit. In the edit screen, scroll down to "Manage Attachments." Click on Manage Attachments, and a pop-up window opens. Remove the current attachment, and then upload your new version.
Seems to work just fine.
A leg improvement coming up shortly.
Thanks Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Obviously I have to put in the "Originally Posted by" in quotes by myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peth
... I downloaded the fft filter but can't seem to get it to work properly. It's doing my head in, I'm normally pretty good with techo things... really! . Anywy, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Peth, have you tried Rô's excellent tutorial on the FFT filter?

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 03:18 AM

Make sure you get the RGB version. Also when you run the reverse make sure you have only 1 layer in your image (keep a backup of the original elsewhere) and make sure you have the RGB chanel selected when you run the IFFT - I had problems but thats how I got it to work.
Also, rather than dark splotches as ByRo suggests I found I got better results by sampling from near by the light specks and painting over with that colour - I have no diea how the FFT and IFFT stuff works - I looked up the maths but it was way beyond my understanding, but I speculate that if you had the patients to treat the FFT like a restore and clone and heal out the stars rather than splotching over them you could get some amazing results.... thats just a theory though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul
Here is a quick attempt...

retouch
1.To add new details or touches to for correction or improvement (i.e. color and tone correction).
2.To improve or change (a photographic negative or print), as by adding minor details (i.e. highlights in eyes) or removing flaws (i.e. blemishes, cracks, tears).
restore
1.To bring back to an original condition: restore a photo.
manipulation
1.changing the look of a photo by adding or deleting elements to it, and/or altering existing elements (i.e. shrinking a nose, removing a person)
photo art –
1. Changing the appearance of a photo to look like it was created in an art medium such as oil, watercolor, pencil, charcoal, crayon and so on.
I swore I'd keep out of this for now... but as the original instructions specified:
Quote:
use the various retouching/restoring/compositing skills we try to promote here
I guess the retouch AND restore definitions come into play for this one. Not sure about 'compositing'.... (A form of manipulation, yes?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 08:41 AM

caitlin,

i wrote up some definitions in this thread: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-compositing/12029-what-constitutes-photo-manipulation.html i havent checked the retouchpro glossary lately though. i make no claim that my definitions are necessarily correct. we've had this discussion before on RP about differences in these things and not everyone agrees on them. and that's part of the difficulty... agreement.

and yes, i would say that composites fall into the category of manipulation.

i think t_paul and doug are relaxing the strict definitions of 'restore' here, or if not relaxing, then at least allowing a bit of coloring outside the lines. for instance, Ray12's entry has completely changed the background and cited the qualifiers about 'studio' that were put in the contest rules. to me, that makes his entry completely valid per those qualifiers, whereas it's not a straight 'restoration'. so, i've relaxed my criteria for voting on this one. the one with the added rubber ducky and so on, well, that's really pushing it... to me, anyways. now you're into photo-manip and really getting further away from 'restoration', particularly if the manip was used to cover areas that needed restoring. so, i dont know about that one. but, being that we're here to also have fun, i suppose i'll probably not prejudice my vote too much

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests