RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-12-2005, 10:28 AM

Personally, I didnt have a problem with the duck composite originally because the rules said to use retouching, restoring and compositing. However T Paul's clarification meant to me that the goal was to restore to look like the original studio shot rather than just a studio shot.

I'm still working on mine but I'm using all my most advanced techniques to restore the original, rather than desat and recolour Not that I'm saying theres anything wrong with that, just as a personal challenge I want to do it that way. I probably work harder on these competitions than on paying work, partially because the scrutiny of peers is much greater than most clients but mostly because they're a challenge and I like to push myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 12:22 PM

Little disappointing to see the rules thing is still going on
Anyway I will join in the spirit of this contest, although I will not enter.
Below is a quick example done in around 25 mins, and a quick explanation of what was done
Layer 1
1/ duplicated image and removed background to create layer 1
2/ Ran it through neat image to remove some of the pattern.
3/ ran Auto colour adjustment, then increased saturation a little
4/ Used replace colour tool to improve colours in clothing
5/ copied leg from other side and rotated to fit missing leg.
6/ Spot healing brush to clean up skin areas where marks were

Base/background layer
1/ deleted green and blue channels and converted back to rgb
2/ Used clone to fix missing areas and marks
3/ Ran through neat image
4/ added a yellow/green filter

Now I used levels adjustments on each layer to try and make baby and background match.
Cropped edges and resized to post.

Hope this gives a few pointers on methods etc and brings back the real spirit of these contests (Fun and sharing)

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-12-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 01:11 PM

...I dont see the point in doing it but not entering just because the rules get discussed. If you dont like the discussions, just dont read them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 01:42 PM

Point being, this discussion is supposed to be about the image and how to go about fixing it. There is little or no discussion about how to go about fixing the image, so I added some. I did exactly the same thing Here and people found it helpful
Quote:
This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.
So I'm sharing and I'm happy to do so without being a contestant, because I do it for fun not the prize

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-12-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Chris, please get off your high horse - as Nancy has said if you don't like the discussion, don't read it. Pot, Kettle, Black comes to mind - you know what I mean I think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Chris, please get off your high horse.
I will not lower myself to reply to that here.

Quote:
Pot, Kettle, Black comes to mind - you know what I mean I think
As above, but please do explain your comment to myself and other members.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
As above, but please do explain your comment to myself and other members.
I think what Caitlin is trying to say is that your trying to prove a point by participating but not entering 'on principle' is just as unpleasant and destructive to the friendly nature of the competition as any discussion over the rules.

I've reread this thread a few times over the last couple of weeks and the only unpleasantness and unfriendly behaviour comes from people like you who regard any friendly discussion and sharing of opinions on our interpretations of the rules as 'nitpicking' and in your opinion spoiling your fun. An opinion you are entitled to but we dont all have to share it.

These competitions are not compulsory. If you dont find them fun then you dont have to participate. You obviously enjoy the challenge and want to share your work with others but you refuse to compete because it isnt fun. Well as I said, you can compete without reading this thread.
If you want to share your technique then I'm sure everyone would be glad to see another tutorial, if you want critique then we have a forum for that too.
Posting here but refusing to compete comes accross as spiteful and arrogant, your further posts reinforce that.

The only unpleasantness here is coming from people complaining about the unpleasantness. Everyone else is happily discussing and sharing their opinions and perceptions of certain terms, which while not directly related to the contest is a natural progression of the conversation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 05:24 PM

thanks chrishoggy,
i was wondering how to get rid of this bluish colour from skin... and now i have my answer
i will not try with this challenge, cause it's not exactly what i i'm good at, but i'm following your work here
hope i'll learn here something more than how to fight :P
have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
only unpleasantness and unfriendly behavior comes from people like you
Where have I been unpleasant and unfriendly?
And what/who are people like me?

Sorry Nancy, but I would like Caitlin to explain her comments herself. I am on the receiving end of insulting comments, so I would like them explained, PLEASE.

As for if I don't like the discussion, don't read it. If people don't like the rules, why read them?
Am I the only person to comment on nitpicking the rules? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thana
thanks chrishoggy,
i was wondering how to get rid of this bluish colour from skin... and now i have my answer
i will not try with this challenge, cause it's not exactly what i i'm good at, but i'm following your work here
hope i'll learn here something more than how to fight :P
have fun!
I rest my case Thankyou thana

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-12-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Where have I been unpleasantness and unfriendly?
And what/who are people like me?
People like you are people who feel the way that you do in that they wont participate in the competitions purely because some contestants wish to discuss the 'rules'.
The unpleasantness comes from the accusations of 'nitpicking' on legitamate queries about focus of the contests and your posting of your 'entry' in this thread rather than the contest thread comes accross as 'protest' post, coupled with your comments implying what we should and shouldnt be allowed to discuss in the discussion thread and your comments to Caitlin, and there you've got your unfriendlyness too.
Quote:
As for if I don't like the discussion, don't read it. If people don't like the rules, why read them?
Firstly, no-one has ever said that they dont like the rules, all anyone has done is seek to understand them better so that we're all on the same page when it comes to submitting our entries and voting for a winner. Secondly we read the rules because, unlike you, we actually wish to compete, whether its for prize, the prestige, the comments or just so we can vote.

Just because you dont like rules doesnt mean that everyone feels that way. In fact I think its probably a 50/50 split on the 'follow the rules' vs 'freestyle' crowds, people who want to follow the rules (and therefore may need clarification on certain points) have just as much right to enjoy the contests as those who dont.
For people who dont care about the rules or winning the competition and just want to have fun well you can do that, theres nothing stopping you doing whatever you like with the image in your own home and there are plenty of other forums to discuss techniques and ask for critiques, if thats what you want.
Quote:
Am I the only person to comment on nitpicking the rules? NO
No-one said you were. You are the only person to post your 'entry' without entering though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests