RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You are the only person to post your 'entry' without entering though.
It's not an entry, it's an example and explanation of a method. thanas post proves that what I did was of use, and the same happened in the other contest I did a little example on.

I didn't make the accusation of nitpicking, Doug did. I just picked up on his comment, as did many others.
Quote:
This monthly nitpickfest is going to cost us all a great moderator. And if T quits, no more contests (because she's far more patient than I am).
After my comment I stated that I wouldn't enter because of the arguments over rules. Nothing unpleasant about that! I made this statement again in my example post, so nobody asked for my image to be put in the contest.
This seems more like people can't understand why I would help others to win a contest. Or that they are taking my help as a way of proving a point. I have no point to prove, I said what I needed to say, and I am now going to help others in trying to win. If people take that the wrong way, I can do nothing about that.
As for comments to Caitlin, I am quite within my rights to ask why she made a personal insult. SIMPLE AS THAT
I will not stop helping others with contest entries, as thats what this forum is all about.
I again draw peoples attention to comments passed Here , after id gave an example

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-12-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 12:24 AM

Can we all PLEASE stop this here. Please? The ONLY reason I asked a question at the beginning is because I didn't read thorough enough before posting it AND because it's the first time I had entered a contest AND never realized that there had been an issue with asking questions before. Still, I hate to see this blown way out of hand. I'm not siding with anyone because I don't see the need to. I just want all this to stop. Not the contests, not helping people, just the bickering over basically... nothing. I have already tried to put a lighter spin and move away from this and even posted my little can of worms for a chuckle. I tried not to post in this topic again but it just keeps going on and on and I'm afraid we won't have these contests anymore if it causes all this controversy and I don't want that to happen. Let's just all stop here and have fun with the contest and let what said be said and leave it alone. Please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Smile

Don't worry twinkissed, you're not responsible. From what I can tell this type of banter has been going on for a while.

A friendly word of caution to everyone in this forum and others for that matter. I work in an ad agency with hundreds of colleagues and clients sending emails back and forth every minute of the day. I guess some of you are used to the same thing.

Anyway, quite often an email will circulate and people will comment on the nature of it negatively, simply because they misread the tone of the email... not the content mind, just the tone in which it was written.

Next time someone posts a message, imagine them to be cheerful smiling individuals, rather than looking like they just sucked on a lemon. You still don't have to agree with them but it will affect how you respond.

I say this as someone who has repeatedly made this mistake in the past, so it's as much a reminder to myself as it is, advice to you all.

Now, as silly as this may sound I'd like to start a big virtual hug for everyone... please feel free to join in. It goes like this 00000000000000... there now, I feel better anyway!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 AM

twinkissed, I had no problem with your question or the duck etc in your image. PLEASE don't think this was anything to do with what you said .
Quote:
Anyway, quite often an email will circulate and people will comment on the nature of it negatively, simply because they misread the tone of the email... not the content mind, just the tone in which it was written.

Next time someone posts a message, imagine them to be cheerful smiling individuals, rather than looking like they just sucked on a lemon. You still don't have to agree with them but it will affect how you respond.
Thank God a common sense statement has come to this thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 02:20 AM

Hi Twinkissed,

Just to add that I don't think anyone would think you started this. As Peth so rightly says, this is a thing that crops up most months to a lesser or greater extent. Probably comes from the competitive nature of some members, and wanting to have the last say from others.

Chris, nice job, pity its not an entry. One minor "fault", there appear to be a few clone marks on the baby's left leg (as we look at it). To me, posting your method is well in keeping with the aims of this site, which is to share our knowledge of photo "manipulation" with other members.

In parting, would just like to say I've enjoyed looking at everyone's entry, and would like to wish everyone luck. I'd also like to see a detailed breakdown of the eventual winner's method, so we can all learn.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 02:40 AM

Hi Gary,
yep there are quite a few clone marks, bad blending etc and things that need doing to it. I didn't want to do a finished image to show as such, just a quick example as a guide to a method
Would be nice for as many people as possible to post their methods, not just the winners, as people may wish to know how a member achieved a certain result in their image
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 04:11 AM

Staying true to the original or making it better?

Well I just cant decide. When I started out I wanted to due a purely faithful reconstruction of the original image... but as I've been working on removing the discolouration I'm finding that I'm not happy with the blanket colour. So I checked the original and the highlights of the baby's skin and the highlight of the blanket have almost identical CYMK values.
So now I'm torn, if I'm being faithful to the original (or at least what I believe to be the original) I'm putting a pink baby on a pink blanket, giving the whole image a very magenta look, if I change the background colour then I'm deviating from the original and thats not what I wanted to do....

help me decide

I've attached a couple of images to show what I'm talking about.... they're by no means finished - I just like to give myself little previews of what the finished article will look like - keeps me motivated, I've been working on this for nearly 10 hours and I'm not done yet... need a little pick me up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby_restore.jpg (90.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Baby_newback.jpg (90.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 04:45 AM

IMHO quite a bit of the pink colouring has come from discolouration of the original. If you look down the right hand side and top of the image, there is an even greater pink discolouration in a stripe running full length of the image. I would go with the second option and make the background a creamy colour I would suspect this would be close to the original colours in the image???
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 AM

Hi everyone.

If you look just under babies left arm (Our Right) there is an area where the dress is grey. You can see this in Nancy’s post above.
IMHO this picture has been coloured in.
So should we make the dress green or grey?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 AM

See here we have a difference of opinion, IMO, the discoulouration is everything except the strip that you feel is the discolouration heh.
I've attached a couple of images again. I ran a curves adjustment on the original, selecting the rattle as the white and the darkest shadow under the babys bottom as the black.
The first image is the lightness and b channels, this is why I think that the discolouration is yellow/green rather than pink. The second image is the l&a channel. The third is l&a&b together just for reference.

I agree that a more neutral background looks better but I disagree that its the original colour.... I could be wrong, I guess we wont know unless Phil remembers what colour is was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lb.jpg (83.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg la.jpg (83.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg lab.jpg (85.1 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests