RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-13-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Hi everyone.

If you look just under babies left arm (Our Right) there is an area where the dress is grey. You can see this in Nancy’s post above.
IMHO this picture has been coloured in.
So should we make the dress green or grey?

Ken
looks more of a bluey grey to me - IMO the dress was probably blue, cant be sure though, but I do think the green is the discolouration but its misleading because it covers so much of the outfit
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 05:37 AM

As there were different areas of different levels of discolouration. I used the damaged area and dark shadow as black. Then for whites I assumed the original was printed on white paper, so selected the edge of photo, rattle head and two areas of rattle the handle.
This gives the result attached.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
As there were different areas of different levels of discolouration. I used the damaged area and dark shadow as black. Then for whites I assumed the original was printed on white paper, so selected the edge of photo, rattle head and two areas of rattle the handle.
This gives the result attached.
If you look at the L&B channels you can see the same yellow discolouration - although less pronounced, you can see that its splotchy and uneven in the yellow range which is why I believe that to be the discolouration. Just MHO though.

Also if you take some colour samples, everything is very strong in the yellow - the highlight of the baby's cheek is CMY 1% 0% 15% - the strip at the top is almost the exact same values while a highlight of the rest of the blanket is 1% 0% 32% - even stronger yellow.

To me it looks like the picture spent some time in a frame on display so the strip around the edge would be the preserved part.
I acknoledge that my initial curves are too strong on the magenta, but they still make the skin tone the same colour as the blanket, that is, if I'm right about the strip around the edge being the right colours - or at least closer.

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-13-2005 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
If you look at the L&B channels you can see the same yellow discolouration - although less pronounced, you can see that its splotchy and uneven in the yellow range which is why I believe that to be the discolouration. Just MHO though.

Also if you take some colour samples, everything is very strong in the yellow - the highlight of the baby's cheek is CMY 1% 0% 15% - the strip at the top is almost the exact same values while a highlight of the rest of the blanket is 1% 0% 32% - even stronger yellow.

To me it looks like the picture spent some time in a frame on display so the strip around the edge would be the preserved part.
I acknoledge that my initial curves are too strong on the magenta, but they still make the skin tone the same colour as the blanket, that is, if I'm right about the strip around the edge being the right colours - or at least closer.
Just looking at this pic, I expect it spent some time in a frame of some sort, if only a cardboard cut out frame. Based on the edge information and using that as white for reference I agree that the blanket and the baby's tones, when adjusted are both very magenta. Not so soothing for the eyes as the paler alternatives, but probably more true to the original. Even I, due to aesthetics have changed the hue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 07:46 AM

We will never really know the true colours unless Phil remembers them. Reason I am in doubt about the frame keeping original colours, is this frame like mark is only on 2 sides. That lead me to think it may have been due to a photo/object sitting on top of the image, thus leaving the two outer edges more exposed to the elements
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
We will never really know the true colours unless Phil remembers them. Reason I am in doubt about the frame keeping original colours, is this frame like mark is only on 2 sides. That lead me to think it may have been due to a photo/object sitting on top of the image, thus leaving the two outer edges more exposed to the elements
rofl, Chris, ever seen what a kerosene heater does to images/paper over time, lol. Fairly short time that is
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
Just looking at this pic, I expect it spent some time in a frame of some sort, if only a cardboard cut out frame. Based on the edge information and using that as white for reference I agree that the blanket and the baby's tones, when adjusted are both very magenta. Not so soothing for the eyes as the paler alternatives, but probably more true to the original. Even I, due to aesthetics have changed the hue.
I really think you're on the right track with this (NancyJ and Cassidy). We've all seen many photos about this age that were displayed for years in a picture frame, or with the edges behind a mat. Yellowing of the uncovered area is a very common problem, and the covered edges, being protected from the light, are a much closer to the original color. Without any further information, this is why I went with pink for the blanket - and the fact that the baby is a girl helped support that decision.

Other factors will degrade the original photo colors as well, and therefore we can't really use the edge colors alone to dictate the colors for the rest of the photo (which I believe is why the baby then turns magenta). I used the edges as a start, then handled the subject area separately using Katrin Eismann's suggestions on skin color for babies.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 08:11 AM

must have missed that chapter
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 08:16 AM

2nd Ed., pg 114 - 115.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 AM

amazing, I have shopping centre photos of my kids vs. professional photos, unreal the difference, the photo centre photos have lost their glean, colour far more greatly over time than the professional ones taken, even school photos have better integrity than shopping centre photos

Last edited by Cassidy; 11-13-2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: would be criminal if I could spell crime with authenticity
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests