RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 PM

Hi everyone.

Well I finally got something I’m happy with and posted it.
I really struggled with this. Babies are meant to have no cyan in the skin, but there was a lot in the picture.
I finished up working backwards with this. First I corrected the skin then worked from there.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 08:26 PM

nancy,

Quote:
So now I'm torn, if I'm being faithful to the original (or at least what I believe to be the original) I'm putting a pink baby on a pink blanket, giving the whole image a very magenta look, if I change the background colour then I'm deviating from the original and thats not what I wanted to do....
you certainly arent alone in this. i ran into the same problem and have several versions of different colors in both the blanket/backdrop and the baby's clothing.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 AM

Smile

After following closely the various approaches to get the true colours the image had or might have, I realized --once more-- how little I now about this Art of Restoration and Retouching. How much I still have to learn about PhotoShop.

So within my own limitations I managed to get some satisfying result, from my point of view. My restoration was more intuitive than technical, first worked on the image just as we received it. Removed the yellow blotches, the dark "tie looking" bar or shadow, the artifacts, scratches etc.

"Cloned" the baby's left foot and placed it in her right leg. Then separated the various elements into what I called the skin, the dress, the rattle and the blanket. And did my best to find out which could be the original colours.

The skin I knew could not be yellow-green as it looked, so I worked with the various options of Brightness, hue, colour etc. The hardest part were the eyes, they are not clearly defined and restoring them to what I could distinguish gave me a "cross eyed" result. This is common in newly born babies due to their inability of focusing, but one eye looked markedly larger than the other, so I took as a reference what I could see of the left eye (baby's left) and adapted the size of the right side one to that.

Well I guess the above are the outstanding stages of my restoration, retouching. Since it is not technical or professional I don't think there is need for more detail.

Good luck to all and congratulations on the professionalism of the participants.

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Observations from a complete novice --

The discussion among you pros regarding the color correction portion of this contest is excellent. I've learned more about restoration/retouching from your discussions than I ever knew existed. Of course, now I'm more confused than ever as to what the correct colors are or should be

I've done a couple of versions in different shades, but could not pull any blue out of the baby's dress at all without painting in it in.

I'm tending to believe that the original had more beige in the blanket but less yellow (more red/magenta) in the baby's skin and still have no idea what the dress color really was.

Anyway, I justed wanted to say thanks to all of you who have contributed so constructively to this part of the contest.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 07:43 AM

Hi Lorraine

If you are having trouble with the colour cast try reading Doug’s two posts in this thread.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ighlight=pixel

I think this gets the picture pretty close.

The trouble is that, as Nancy stated, the skin and the fur are very similar in colour.

I never expected the fur to be pink (I still don’t think it should be). 15 years ago I was taking picture just like this. I had a piece of fur which was off white/fawn

I made the decision to get the skin right and not bother too much about the rest

Another reference point is the picture border, which should be white. But again this is difficult as we can’t really decide which part of the border has faded the most.

Chris used the missing area as a black point. This is logical, but again cannot be relied upon.

So it’s all a guess here.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Well I came from the point of view that logically a border is usually white, so that was my reference point
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Ken --

Thanks so much for taking more of your time to help me. That link is very important to my learning process. I did know about picking a random color, filling a color-blend layer with it, and inverting the layer for correction, but I didn't know about using the entire photo in the blurred state.

I've been working (or in my case playing ) with that technique.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM

You’re welcome.
Doug has a tutorial, but in that tutorial you need to find a neutral. Using Blur Average (or reduce to one pixel) means you do not need to find a neutral. (Very handy).

Another Spanner for the Works.

The other Unknown here is Babies Nationality.
Is She European, Latin, etc.

The photo belongs to Phil Bach from Seabrook Island, SC.
But this gives no indication to the babies Nationality.
Changing her skin from European to Latin changes the background from pink to blue.

More Problems.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraKen_Nov_Latin.jpg (98.7 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 AM

I have used two different methods to color correct this one. When I made my entry I made it simple and just used the toy as white and the darkest shadow on the baby as black. Then I changed the grey point on the channels to try to achieve a somewhat natural look.

Then I experimented with another approach assuming the light spots of the dress should be neutral.
I took 4 different spots on the dress ranging from 53 to 186 on the green channel. Then I adjusted the blue and red to the same values with curves. Also adjusted the white and black point on the curves. Not trying to tweek the result but just straighten the curves.

Interestingly the result of both approaches yields the same result. A baby with a green dress lying on a beige/creem blanket. I attach the result of the second approach. No other corrections are made on this one.

/Mats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby.jpg (43.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smats
Interestingly the result of both approaches yields the same result. A baby with a green dress lying on a beige/creem blanket. I attach the result of the second approach. No other corrections are made on this one.

/Mats
Only if the discolouration is the strip around edge - cause by an object being placed over the image protecting everything except that strip. If, as I believe, the picture was in a frame for some time and the majority of the image is sun damaged with that strip around the edge being the protected part then the image is a baby in a blue/grey dress on a pink blanket.... its all depends which part is the real colour.
I've already stated that I believe the yellow to be the discolouration because 1) to me it seems logical that photo would have been in a frame on display
2) because the yellow in the b channel and to a lesser extent the green in the a channel is splotchy and uneven, suggesting to me that it shouldnt be there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests