Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 AM
I must say, it is very interesting reading about the different theories and ways to get to a certain color combination. Wow! I haven't gotten to much into photo restoration and I guess I never thought about how much could be read into one photo.

As for voting, I'm going with what looks "natural". Pink or beige aside.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 02:56 AM
by RooB... But, if I was the client of this photo, I wouldn't care if you returned a biege blanket and a blue dress or a pink blanket and a green dress or vice versa, as long as you returned a photo I could frame, and looks like it fits into the parameters of the original.
I have already submitted a result, like I explained in a previous comment here, is more intuitive than technical. I am not happy with the result and am preparing another one based on some, or a mix of the various approaches discussed here. But will use my own judgement as a "client" regarding what I would be happy to have on my desk.

As to voting I go with RooB's opinion it is the baby looks that counts, I would not like to have a blotchy skinned photo of my daughter or grandaughter sitting on my desk, no matter how close to the original picture it may look.

Regards to all, Martha -

P.S.: Well instead of opening a new post I decided to add to this one.
Have replaced the previous submission with the one I was working on --as mentioned above-- I tried to remove the reddish-yellow tint and get a more realistic look.

Also, used as little blurring as I managed (being a newbie, old habits are not easy to drop ). I would have liked to get rid of all the unused and unnecessary "real estate" around the baby, but then the original photo would not have been respected, as to size that is, since I used my personal taste for the colouring

Ohh ! well, the good thing about this is that thanks to all the exchange of opinions and techniques by the true pros here I learnt many new things. Congratulations and thanks to all again.

Last edited by Marthig; 11-19-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 04:53 AM
It's possible the yellow was painted on. There are drops of intense yellow on the photo. The cast looks unequal. There is also a heavy black line around her head. Maybe the little girl wanted to play?

As I wrote in my contest entry, I think the tissue is grey with green highlights when seen from certain angles. I've seen expensive shirts like that.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Well i am seriously scared at judging this one, all of them are marvelously done!!!

So is it still in the 5 order of merit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Panpan
As I wrote in my contest entry, I think the tissue is grey with green highlights when seen from certain angles. I've seen expensive shirts like that.
I can see where you're coming form but I dont think thats it, irredecent fabric is a relatively recent thing (last 10 years or so). Based on Phil's DOB and the fact that she just got married I would estimate that this is a 70's photo.
Even if the fabric was available then I dont think it would be suitable for babies, as you said, its often used for expensive shirt - not things that are going to be drooled and puked on
Just MHO though... I wasnt born so I could be wrong
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello All,

Just my two cents worth. I am very pleased with the discussion surrounding the original color, the material, the potential for fade or protection of color on the edges and the numerous other technical points being discussed.

This is what I signed on for. We have all focussed on the technical here: color; restoration; background color; . We haven't blurred things out - excessively - or introduced extraneous material.

Thank you for some very educational discussion and methodologies to approach such situations.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I just figured a whitish grey color had been discolored over time. I kinda went by the rattle and since it was close but a little lighter that the material must have been more of a greyish white. I like it better that way actually just because it doesn't drown the skin tone too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Regan's Outfit

Forgive me for not following this discussion more closely. I've been out of town recently and haven't been paying proper attention to this thread. I apologize to you guys for that.
I talked to my wife in a little more detail about the Photosession that my step daughter, Regan had in about 1978. She had the photo taken at some studio and the mat she was on was sheepskin. Regan's checkered outfit was an AquaMarine Color. The texture in the submitted Tiff file was from the Print Paper. I scanned it at a very high resolution with no retouching or color adjustment before I submitted it. The rattle on the right side of the photograph was in about the same color as it was when the photo was taken. I should be back home again shortly. Thank heavens and I'll be happy to fill in what other blanks I can.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by philbach
... I should be back home again shortly. Thank heavens and I'll be happy to fill in what other blanks I can.
Welcome back Phil. We were getting ready to send out a search team!

We're all dying to hear your recollection of the colors and such, as I'm sure you can tell! Since everyone has worked so hard on their entries based only on the info we had, and it's late in the game, might it be better to hold off on the details until the end, so as not to risk influencing the voting? Just a thought...

Anyways, I for one will be interested in hearing "...the rest of the story..." after the contest!

- Kurt

Last edited by kschulz; 11-19-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 08:33 AM
oh dear, aqua marine comes to mine, lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests