RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 PM

wow, that's quite interesting... the material being aqumarine. I did some research a few days ago into material of 'the day', specifically a dotted pattern used for baby clothes. Anyway I turned up this material called Dotted Swiss, first released in the 1950's.

This brings up a few possibilties... either the material was re-introduced in the 70's OR maybe it was a keepsake from an earlier generation? It's a pretty good match to Phil's description anyway.

I've decided not to change my entry in light of this though. i started with a slightly more greenish aquamarine than in this example but then thought the little suit might look nicer in a completely different colour... Bad retoucher... very bad boy! You guys will see later on today when I post my entry. Not expecting to get many votes but I think you'll like it Phil. I hope so.

CS! Peth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fab105.2L.jpg (23.2 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Aquamarine stones vary from sky blue to greenish blue to bluish green, so there is a lot of leeway .

The Wikipedia defines the color as red 128, green 255 and blue 212 or as hue 160, saturation 50% and brightness 100%.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Patron

The Photo

Incidentally, there are no restrictions on this photo and anyone can use it as they see fit. The print that I scanned was a 5 x 7 print scanned at a very high resolution. It was not framed in recent memory but was kept in the attic in a pile of other stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Deep Joy

Nice timing Phil.

I really think this info should have come at the beginning or the end. Not when many of us may not have time to change things.

I will not be deducting marks for any entries background or dress colour. There was nothing in the original to make us think that any blue needed adding. So there must be some selective fading.

I will see if I can find time to change mine but if not I think we’re all agreed that fawn, beige, pink or blue is OK.

I do think an aquamarine dress would look better.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Patron

Timing

Well I did not give out much information. I submitted the photo and sort of let er rip. I did not know the exact color myself until I pestered my sweet wife about the details of the photo. From my perspective the final color of Regan's outfit ought not to be a major factor in judging. But hey I just submitted the photo and you guys will need to vote on who did the best job. Personally I think there are a number of excellent restorations of Regan on this contest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 PM

I’m glad you like them Phil.

We have had some great discussion on the colours this month.

I still can’t understand why there appears to be jpeg artifacts in the Tiff file.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 AM

Nice one for posting the photos history Phil, it clears up the discussion on colours etc . Don't think it should make any difference to the voting, or make people change their entries. The quality of the final image is what counts, and the way methods used have realistically repaired/restored/reconstructed the image .
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Patron

JPEG Artifacts in Tiff file?!!

Boy how could that be. At any rate I opened the Regan.tiff file that I submitted and looked at it,and there were jpeg artifacts in the tiff file.

I pulled the original photo which is about 6&5/8 inches by 4&3/4. The paper is a satin texture and cracked in numerous places. I rescanned the print at the same 300 dpi and saved it as a tiff file. No jpeg artifacts. The photo that I submitted is a comparison of the submitted photo versus a rescanned photo in tiff mode. To post the photo I had to save it again as a jpeg but I believe you can see the difference if you download the photo and zoom in. The photo is from Regan's right eye area.

I guess in conclusion CameraKen is correct. There are jpeg artifacts in the file and the artifacts came from my submission somehow. I submitted the photo about two months ago so I don't know how I messed up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REGAN3.jpg (32.3 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by philbach; 11-21-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 PM

No worries Phil, just adds to the challenge!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 PM

I agree with Peth, Phil - we like a challenge, and you did good! Now if only I could get my customers to send in scans half as good as this one, even with the JPEG artifacts...

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests