Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree with Peth and Kurt. It added to my learning process. I used the FFT filter for the first time.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
The contest

Well thanks everybody. I've learned a lot from this contest too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 02:48 AM

I am trying to edit the image. but realised that there is no ICC profile attached to the image. I presumed it's sRGB IEC 2.1? or adobe1998?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 AM
This is where you add the entry picture, you can add how you did it in
HERE just letting you know otherwise it be harder to mark the entries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Here's my comments on my entry.

(cont') ...However, like I said, i kinda put my own interpretation on the rules and really took to heart the idea of making this look like a professional shoot. Hence the patterned velvet blanky and the sunflower (which was there all the time but was so faded that none of us could see it).

OK. on to the method. Phew!
Tried the fft or ftt thingy... was late and I couldn't for the life of me, get it to perform. Sorry Ro.
Resorted to Neat Image. I say resorted, but I was quite pleased with the results. It didn't eliminate the pattern but it came close.

Then recreated the left leg and added the left foot from the right.

Next I worked on the skin tone. I did most of the repair work before this however as this seems to give me a better result in the end.

For the correct skin tones I took various readings from other professional baby shots with varying lighting and came to an average. Bearing in mind that Phil's bubby was shot with quite a direct or non-diffused directional light (hence the strong shadow) so I wanted to soften that a little.

next came some shadow and highlight layers using colour, multiply, overlay and screen layer blending (by the way, did I mention I work in Photoshop CS? Probably not) These layers helped restore some of the depth that Neat Image flattened out.

I then added the background which is made up of three different layers. One for the fabric contour, one for the pattern and lastly one to add luminance. Then came the sunflower which fell nicely into her hands and gave the photo a nice friendly feeling.

Lastly came the outfit which as I mentioned in another post, was originally a greenish/aquamarine colour, but this clashed with my new background so I took the law into my own hands and made various colour adjustments to get to where it is now.

So there we are. Now I know the purists out there are quite rightly saying 'that's not a true restoration'. Well, I don't disagree and I'm happy not to score any points. But I'm equally happy with this result and Phil... I hope you like it too.

Finally. There are some absolutely bnilliant entries this month and judging is going to be extremely difficult. I'm chuffed to be in such talented company.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Peth - LOVE your entry. Wes originally going to do something like this myself, but after all the discussions decided not to. But I think it's great - looks just like a modern studio baby photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks heaps Caitlin,

yes... doesn't look very 70's eh? I got a bit carried away lol! Oh well, I had fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Good practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby_sm LASTlast.jpg (84.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Apologize to RooB and Edgework !

Thanks RooB for making me notice the mistake, and Edgework for assigning your work to RooB. It was a mistake due to Edgework's image was labeled "baby" and there were others and when I looked to see who posted that "baby" I named it baby-roob who had his image right above (or below) yours.

It is fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 08:12 AM
left side of baby's neck

Something that everyone voting might consider when placing their votes is that the left side of the baby's neck is only the fur and not some weird growth. Haven't seen anyone mention this in the discusssion. There is no way any of the neck would be showing since babies have little tiny necks. I noticed that several people have done this even though their overall photo might be ok so this might help when weeding out entries for your vote.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests