Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Congratulation kshulz! That was quite the win, given the competition. Enjoy your fluid mask and have a Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas all and see you in the New Year.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 11:29 PM
contrats, kschulz! hope that prize works on the pc and not just the mac

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Well done Kurt, a well deserved win. Congratulations to everyone else, for high standard of entries this month.

Just realised I forgot to vote on this one, sorry, been a bit busy lately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Congratulations, Kurt. You did a great job!!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Well done Kurt. When you've had a play with fluid mask let us know what you think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Congrats Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Congratulations Kurt! Well done
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Part of the criteria for this month's contest was to create a "...portrait that actually tries to use the various retouching/restoring/compositing skills we try to promote here at RP". Many of the techniques used for this restoration I learned from the experts here at RP - I've tried to identify those techniques with links and the names of the members that guided me there. Everyone has helped immensely in this learning process, and I hope from this you can see that your efforts and guidance really do make a difference .

I think it was Gary Richardson that requested a detailed breakdown of the steps used for this restoration. So here goes, best as I can remember:

1) Made sure my monitor was properly calibrated . << Ed L

2) Straightened and cropped to a 5x7" 200dpi working image. Duplicated background layer to new layer called "Working".

3) Ran Shadow/Highlight adjustment to improve definition. << Flora

4) Duplicated image, flattened all, ran FFT filters to reduce print texture. Moved result back to image into new layer, set mode to Luminosity, merged down to Working layer. << byRo

5) Ran Neat Image on Working layer, selected preset for best noise removal on skin areas. << Flora

6) Ran Threshold adjustment on Working layer, moved slider right to find good white point (the ball of rattle), then cancelled Threshold. Added a curves layer and set white point using location on rattle to get overall image closer to original colors. << Katrin Eismann

7) On the Working layer, healed, cloned, copied and patched to remove scratches, creases and stains, and to rebuild the right side of the furry blanket.

8) Created the following selection masks: Baby, Rattle, Jumper, and Skin. These are used in subsequent steps for layer masking. << Vikki

9) Selected the blanket area, desaturated (CTRL-SHFT-U), added HSL layer, checked Colorize, then adjusted H and S for an even pink color.

10) Selected faded areas on top and right edges, heavily feathered, then added a curves layer to even the levels of the blanket.

11) Selected baby and rattle, added a Color Balance layer and bumped up the green a bit (S +15, M +6, H +4) to reduce magenta cast. Preserving Luminosity checked. This was really just to bring the colors in closer - poor Regan was looking rather sickly with that magenta cast.

12) Snapped a photo of grandson Max's right leg, matching light direction as close as possible. Copied his leg into layer and blended with masking. With Max's leg selected, added HSL layer and adjusted to match the rest of Regan's skin color, all of which will be corrected later.

13) Cloned bottom of Regan's left foot, applied to bottom of Max's foot to match wrinkles. Transformed Max's toes to match size and shape of Regan's toes.

14) Moved all layers except Background into the "Working" group, then
CTRL-SHFT-ALT-E to make new "Composite" layer.

15) Using the selection masks, added a series of curves and HSL layers to bring in all the colors. Baby eyes are mostly gray, so I lowered saturation quite a bit. For the skin, I placed Color Sampler markers and adjusted curves for very low cyan with twice as much magenta and yellow in equal amounts. << DUV

16) Added new layer filled with 50% gray, Overlay mode. With very low opacity, lightly brushed selected areas with white for dodging, and black for burning. Dodged eyes quite a bit. << gmitchel

17) Created new composite layer (CTRL-SHFT-ALT-E), set to Overlay mode, then ran High Pass filter to sharpen. Lowered layer opacity to 64% and selectively masked some areas using layer mask. << Doug Nelson

18) To add depth, examined color channels for best overall contrast - green won.
Added Channel Mixer layer, set Green to 100%, Red and Blue to 0%, and checked Monochrome. Set layer mode to Luminosity and adjusted opacity to 54%. << Katrin Eismann

Thanks to all for their kind remarks. Everyone deserves a hearty "Congratulations!" on this one! Special thanks to T Paul and Doug Nelson for the time and energy they put into this every month.

- Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers-Main.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Layers-Working.jpg (83.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Layers-Colors.jpg (82.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Layers-Masks.jpg (54.1 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Kurt,

Great results. Thanks for the breakdown.

Don't know if I was the only one to ask for it, but I'm sure that many others will learn from your description, and get a better appreciation of what it can take to get a top class result.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Congratulations Kurt, and great work everyone on your entries.

Happy Holidays to all.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests