RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 01:08 PM

Nitpickfest

I for one would hate to be in T Pauls shoes.
Come on guys give her a break.
I know people are trying to clarify rules to the letter, but it's not that sort of contest. It's fun and learning!

It must be so time consuming, even soul destroying, but maybe sometimes rewarding.

Let's just do what we always do, submit our entries and go for it!
If people like it, then they'll vote for it.

T.Paul - I think I speak for all members who have enjoyed your forums and contests,

THANK YOU,
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 01:21 PM

In my "door-opening" post above I was only trying to be helpful (really!). As I know from other experiences, and as has already happened here in other contests, what starts out as a just a nit can grow to an elephant by the end of a contest.

I was trying to nip the nit in the bud.

Now walking through Kurt's open door and coming back to an old point.......
Wouldn't it be easier if we had some very well-defined keywords? That way T wouldn't have to spell it all out every month. So she could just say....
Restoration - yes;
Reconstruction - yes;
Retouch - yes;
Manipulation - no;
Art - no;
etc..
..and if anyone has any questions - just refer them to the "official RetouchPRO glossary".

As always, I am here to help - so if T needs/wants some, she can always count on me.

[edit - I second Shalford]
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
This monthly nitpickfest is going to cost us all a great moderator. And if T quits, no more contests (because she's far more patient than I am).
Must agree, thats why I have stopped entering . Best bet is to read the rules, then work from what you understand the rules to be.
Fingers crossed the rules matter can be dropped, and people can get back to having fun in contests
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Ohhh boy. Doug, I really hesitated posting my question for fear that someone might perceive it to be nitpicking, given the sensitivity we've seen in past contests. Guess I should've heeded. OTOH, it's a shame we now have to feel like we're walking on egg shells.

Really, I'm not debating or arguing a position, I'm not questioning anybody's interpretation, I'm not trying to pin T to the mat on the rules, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to drop out by my asking, especially T . Just looking for a simple answer to what I believed to be a simple question.

If you deem this to be nitpicking, ok fine by me. Let's ignore the question and move on. The take away? No more questions - whatsoever - about the rules in the future.

Twin Kissed - please don't change anything in your entry based on my post. I was only looking for the same clarification as you and Rô.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Ok WOAH!!!! Hold up.... while I may misunderstand things here and there, I'm sure I'm not the only one and I had noooooo idea that by me asking a question to make sure I was in the guidelines would be a problem. I was under the impression that that is what this topic was for. It even says that help and suggestions from others is encouraged so how would that make us lose a moderator? Anyone could have helped me with my question. Maybe I'm not quite awake enough today to understand this whole nitpick thing but I personally didn't see any nit picking going on. I saw questions and a little humor. What did I miss? As for it's for fun and learning. That's why I asked a question, I want to do it the right way and learn through doing it the right way. By asking my question, someone highlighted the part I had over looked and I was glad to see that. If it didn't have rules it wouldn't be much of a contest and if questions couldnt' be asked about the rules it wouldn't be much of a challenge because you could do anything to the pictures. I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding but I don't think there was ever an issue to begin with and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

I'm adding this... sometimes when people read things it seems different than meant. I am not mad or being sarcastic but speaking from how I feel. No one is to take this as a personal attack ok?

Last edited by twinkissed; 11-03-2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: too let every one know I'm sincere not sarcastic
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschulz
Twin Kissed - please don't change anything in your entry based on my post. I was only looking for the same clarification as you and Rô.

No worries, I was glad you helped me out. I had fun redoing it and ended up liking it more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Janitor

I doubt anyone that hasn't done it can fully appreciate how draining it is to be a moderator. And the reason we have moderators is because I couldn't take the drain on my own. It has nothing to do with taking anything personally, just the day-in day-out grind. But our mods are resigning, one by one. I've left some of them listed as mods, but that's pure denial on my part.

I wrote the contest description, not T. These contests are primarily aimed at professionals (the "pro" in RetouchPRO), though everyone is welcome to enter. But interpreting a customer's instructions is as necessary a professional skill as cloning or masking.

So there's no need to "walk on eggshells", just be professional.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I wrote the contest description, not T. These contests are primarily aimed at professionals (the "pro" in RetouchPRO), though everyone is welcome to enter. But interpreting a customer's instructions is as necessary a professional skill as cloning or masking.
So its unprofessional to ask for clarification of clients instructions? Thats all anyone was doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 AM

rules

I don't think this has to be so difficult. Vote as YOU think the entries are according to your interpretation of the rules.
You don't have to vote for an entry if it does not live up to your interpretation of the rules. Even if it is an wonderful artwork.
And in this case I think a parent would like his/her baby to look unmanipulated/not visibly retouched.

Keep up the good work managing this site!

Best Regards Mats
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 AM

Why do we get this every month. Someone or other nitpicking on how the rules should be interpreted. What does it matter. Everyone will interpret things differently, and everyone will be right, as far as they're concerned.

Just post your images. If members like it, they will vote for it (as determined by their individual interpretations of the rules) if not, they won't.

I enjoy the contests for what they were designed to be, a free exchange of imagination and technique, where we could each enjoy and learn from other's skills. If its just going to descend into a bitching contest, I for one will soon be stopping my entries (no great loss some may think).

Give the moderators a break, and for once just enter the contest, interpret the rules as YOU understand them, and live with the results.

Gary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests