RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-04-2005, 04:09 AM

So why exactly is there a discussion forum?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 AM

I believe this is the reason:

Quote:
Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the Nov Contest entries as well as the contest itself here
Quote:
This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs
Rules are always open to personal interpretation. If a rule is open to clear misinterpretation such as "Only one entry per person" that I asked about in my first ever entry, then I would hope people didn't object to that. When it comes down to defining the meaning of a word in a rule, it gets a bit silly.

We all need to read this bit again
Quote:
Finally, please remember that this is a friendly contest and suppose to be a learning experience. Tips and suggestions to help others are highly encouraged.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I honestly don't understand what the problem is here. The questions so far has seemed quite legitimate, and certainly not unfriendly. The question raised by twinkissd and byRo was interesting. The goal "restore the photo so that it looks like a professional studio photo" in itself contains contradictions, as the photo clearly wasn't a professional studio photo in the first place, so a pure restore will not acheive that result. Though at times they have possibly gone a bit over the top, I find these discussions quite interesting and worthwhile. Certainly it would be better to sort such questions out early in the contest, rather than at the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Half of the solution of any problem is in it's correct identification.

If throughout all these months we've been using up a lot of hot air and organizing nitpikfests ( I'll bring the beer ), then it is irrefutible that something is wrong.

This whole site works so well because everyone is ready to cooperate. Some bring problems, others help solve them - everybody learns something.
In the contests, unfortunately, attitudes have been rather different. It is a competition, but the prize is not a million dollars. The winners are all that participate.

Yes, there is a problem in the wording of the rules. Now let's see what we can do to help. I see two directions...

1) Simplify. I think that this is where Doug is going. No need to say what can and can't be done. Just give us the original and say "The end client is mom/dad". Let the professionalism of each determine how they should arrive at the final product and how they should judge the other's renderings.

2) Exact definitions. (Like I posted yesterday). Say which techniques can, and can not, be used in the contest. Difficult part here is that the techniques are not well-defined. Retouch? Restoration? Manipulation?

I feel that the contests have been trying to go in the two directions at the same time. My suggestion would be to choose only one or the other.

Anybody else want to help?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 AM

I agree with you completely about the wording issue Ro - I think that (and I intend no offence to TPaul or Doug here) that there is generally a degree of instruction on how the task should be done in the rules - but it does not fall in either camp as you say, so then leads to questions for clarification. Personally I'd opt for your option 1, but either would work.

Having said that I don't personally have any problems with what people are describing as 'nitpicking' - it seems to be just another expression of the people on this forum willingness to share ideas

Help? Happy to help in any way needed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 05:55 AM

Gary, DITTO!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 05:56 AM

To me the 'simplify direction' is the only way to go. The other approach is limiting creativity and is not relevant. It is the result that should count.
The result should be judged with the given scenario in mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 AM

I'm going to make this my last input on this, as I am not entering because of this nitpicking. It has been said that there is a need for some general directions on how this should be done. Everything you need to know, has been given.

Quote:
The challenge this month is to restore the photo so that it looks like a professional studio photo. This means a non-painted no-wacky-background something-a-dad/mom-would-put-on-his/her-desk-at-work portrait that actually tries to use the various retouching/restoring/compositing skills we try to promote here at RP".
That is as clear as day to me. It leaves the door open to use any skills you have to fix this photo, and gives a guide to what is wanted as the end result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:41 AM

Geez! All I asked was about the props I threw in my first picture. I wasn't really even asking a moderator. I was asking the other people on this board. This is getting quite ridiculous. This was the first time I did one of these contests and was asking a friendly question. Normally around here you get friendly answers. I was happy Kurt pointed it out to me. I fixed it and that was the end of it. There is no need for making a mountain out of a molehill. So I overlooked something which made me misinterpret. It's called long hours, four kids, being exhausted. To me this has turned into more of a nitpick fest on who asks questions and what kinds of questions. I am so suprised at how this topic has gotten. I have read other months discussions and there were questions in there so.... ummmm... what is the big deal here? Talk about making a person feel unwelcome and taking the fun out of a simple contest. What fun is it to basically being ridiculed for asking a question to whom I thought were friendly people? I'm so disappointed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:52 AM

Personally, I didnt see a problem with the toys - in fact I thought it was in ingenious way of covering up the missing foot. The rules say to restore it to look like a professional studio shot. It doesnt specify that it has to be the photo that was taken. It also says to use the various compositing, retouching and restoring skills that are promoted here - to me that says that background replacement (ala Bobs entry), adding props, removing drool are all fine. Professional studios do use props and they do retouch portraits.
My interpretation of the rules just mean dont get silly or 'creative' with it, no cherubs or fairies kind of thing, just a straight studio portrait.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests