Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by Caitlin
So why exactly is there a discussion forum?
To discuss and hopefully to arrive at a conclusion.

I don't see any need to discuss this any more. Doug has clarified his position, others have agreed in varying extents....
You are a professional retoucher. Do what you think you should to please your client.
You are also the client (mom/dad). Judge your work, and the work of the others as such.
Can we put a lid on this now?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Yup.... but I apologize for opening the can of worms.

No more questions for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.0 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 AM

just a comment here. you mentioned that part of the solution is in defining the problem. so, i would submit that part of the problem is that we are not only the retouchers and restorers, but we ARE also the clients in that WE do the voting. so WE interpret the rules both as the client and the agent doing the work. and that in fact, there are as many clients as there are folks that enter. trying to please even ONE client can be a pain at times

and to T_Paul, we would hate to lose you here. your contributions as a member and a moderator have always been appreciated if not always acknowledged. and in fact, that goes to all the moderators. we love this site. I love this site. and i would hate to think that anything said or done here or in any other forum led to a moderator resigning.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Ditto Craig and Ro.

TPaul, thank you for all of your time and work. I think you do a great job.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm going to throw this topic way off now. Muwahahaha! I can't help but think of two things everytime I see that fuzzy background. 1. The Muppet Show and 2. That new fuzzy material they have out now that you can buy socks and scarves in it. Does anyone know what I mean? It is the softest material I have ever felt and I think that if anyone here is a professional photographer and can get a large amount of that stuff, it would be the perfect material to photograph babies on. They would be so comfortable and enjoy feeling it. I know I couldn't get my 10 year old to stop feeling the socks in the store LOL. Still, everytime I see that background I hear "Munah Munah" from Animal the Muppet!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM
I like the fuzzy blanket.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I think its horrid - very late 70s early 80s. In fact I'm sure I've got baby pics of me on that stuff.
It reminds me a lot of a sheep skin rug we used to have.
Fake fur when this picture appears to have been taken was nowhere near as good as it is now. Back then it probably would have been the consistancy of sheep skin or some other coarse fiber, today you can get fake fur as soft as rabbit skin.
This picture looks like the kind of pictures you used to get taken in shopping centers, especially near christmas. The set up was basically a wooden box with a fake fur rug thrown over it - it was proper cheap and nasty.

Personally I prefer the nice plain sheet in Bobs.

I have a fake fur blanket that my boyfriend bought for me that we've named the 'snuggle'. I dont know abount babies but if someone sat me on that I'd want to curl up and go to sleep not pose for a photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Thumbs down 100 % in Agreement Steve

Originally Posted by Shalford
I for one would hate to be in T Pauls shoes.
Come on guys give her a break.
I know people are trying to clarify rules to the letter, but it's not that sort of contest. It's fun and learning!
It must be so time consuming, even soul destroying, but maybe sometimes rewarding.
Let's just do what we always do, submit our entries and go for it!
If people like it, then they'll vote for it.
T.Paul - I think I speak for all members who have enjoyed your forums and contests, THANK YOU,
As the title in my post here reads, you are speaking for me Steve ! I still can remember when it was fun to participate and the comments were about how hard any part of the challenge was, not about the semantics of the rules. Can't we go back to that ?

Regards - Martha

P.S. Ro your sample showing the hidden baby was soo funny ! I enjoyed it very much, still can't see it but trust in your word (sort of )

Last edited by Marthig; 11-04-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: A note to Ro
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by byRo
Wouldn't it be easier if we had some very well-defined keywords? That way T wouldn't have to spell it all out every month. So she could just say....
Restoration - yes;
Reconstruction - yes;
Retouch - yes;
Manipulation - no;
Art - no;
..and if anyone has any questions - just refer them to the "official RetouchPRO glossary".
I like that idea! I will incorporate in the next contest, but I bet there will still be questions
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by T Paul
I like that idea! I will incorporate in the next contest, but I bet there will still be questions
Of course there will! Q. What does retouch really mean??! (A. Whatever makes the picture look good I think....)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests