RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I will admit to being puzzled as to why the contests get mired in pedantry, while the challenge rules get ignored wholesale.
That doesn't seem completely fair Doug Who is doing that?

To be frank, I think that your explaination and TPaul's have actually been quite different, so it's hardly surprising this has generated more debate. Personally I didn't have any questions about the rules at all until others weighed in with the pure restoration arguement. It seemed to me mentions of compositing and retouching skills gave me some leaway, but clarification on this thread seem to have negated that. Fair enough - how about not being so down on people for being quite legitimately confused though?

Last edited by Caitlin; 11-05-2005 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalford
Is it not time now to put the efforts into the contest !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The weathers very mild for this time of year.
dont know about in Solihul but in Bradford its Brass Monkeys weather! I'm working on mine little at a time, on big jobs like this I find it helps to not do it all in one sitting - details tend to be missed - will probably spend at least a week on this one. I want it to be perfect
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 08:32 AM

I'm happy to act as the client to answer questions concerning the contest. I will be fairly open with my answers because I do not want to hamper creativity.

On that note, if I answer a question, please don’t say I’m changing the rules as I am just answering that person’s question. For example, just because I say black & white is fine...it doesn't mean all entries need to be black and white unless the rules state so.

The descriptions I give are more like guidelines to get you in the right frame of mind. I don’t mind you stretching your imaginations, but realize these contest are geared towards real world requests so try to approach them that way. You might like all the changes you made, but would a client like their photo altered drastically if they didn’t ask you to? Many might be upset if you changed the color of an object, because then it is not as they remembered it (backgrounds are usually the exception).

Now let’s get back to the contest and learn from each other’s work. I think so far in all the contests I have only contacted 2 members to change their work because they were not within the rules. Many others may not have been what I expected to see, but that’s when I usually just leave it up to the judges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 10:09 AM

T, your reasoning and explanations are as sensible, unbiased and even-keeled as always - characteristics of a great moderator!

I would like to throw out a suggestion I hope will help.

We've had perfectly ligitimate questions, and yet members are getting hammered for asking. I don't understand why or how we got here, nonetheless there is an acute sensitivity by some to rule-questioning. I've rarely, if ever, felt the questions were inappropriate, nitpicky, unfriendly, or distracting from the fun and spirit of any of the contests. It's only the ensuing maelstrom I find distracting. Ok, that off my chest, some have proposed simplication...

As a possible solution, I suggest that the solicitation for questions regarding the rules be removed, and a statement added along the lines of "...make your best interpretation as a professional, given only the information provided here. Fire up your favorite graphics program, grab your mouse (or pen), and give it your best!". Maybe over simplified, but that's the gist.

While it's unlikely I'll ever be convinced that interpreting a customer's instruction is somehow more professional than asking for clarification, I do agree and appreciate that these contests are aimed towards professionals and should be conducted as such by all. If demonstrating a sense of accurate interpretation is a facet we're looking for, in all fairness let's clearly make it be known so others in the future don't feel alienated, or like they've offended, if they pose a rule related question.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Hi Kurt,

If I ranted a bit in my earlier post, it wasn't with reference to any particular question (which may or may not have been valid), it's just that every month we get this pedantic need for clarification of rules that are usually pretty clear and succinct.

As I said earlier, my belief is that these contests were held in a spirit of fun, therefore it's surely not too important that you get the interpretation right to the letter, rather that you comply with the spirit of the contest, and produce a piece of work to be enjoyed and learnt from by others.

If it is way off what others consider to be the right interpretation, then it won't get voted for, no real loss, it's not like this competition is a matter of life or death, it's just for fun.

Anyway, as usual, I look forward to seeing everyone's entry, no matter how close or far it is from the perceived norm.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 04:57 PM

I agree with you Gary. The problem as I see it though is that now it seems any rule related question is getting characterized as "pedantic", "nitpicky" or as some attempt to "clarify to the letter". I just don't think that's the case, and feel they are helpful. I'll use my question as an example: the essence was "...can we add and change stuff, or should we keep it true to the original?". A simple answer, like "keep it true as possible" was all that was needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2005, 05:49 PM

kurt - agree 100% If questions can't be accepted with equamity by all, lets have a statement saying not to ask any. To me the fun is actually being spoilt by the criticism being received to those questions, not the people posing them. Funny that we seem to have the opposite problem to that in the 'classified section'
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2005, 03:09 AM

Hi Kurt, yes the simple answer seems good to me.

Perhaps it would help to have a set of core definitions to what is meant by, Restore, Retouch etc. that people can refer to when clarification is needed.

Then T could say this months competition is a Retouch, or a Restore, or whatever, and everyone would be in no doubt as to what was needed.

Just a thought.

Gary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Hi, have to drop my first post sometimes.
My opinion about any contest is, that there can be no contest without rules.

Or try to decide who's the best of Shaquille O'Neal and Maurice Greene in a contest without rules.

*/Lazze
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2005, 01:23 PM

I have a question: the file opens (for me) in QuickTime player with no option to "save target as."

I tried it in IE and firefox. Is my computer deciphering this properly?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests