RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Discussion

Old 11-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureeno
I have a question: the file opens (for me) in QuickTime player with no option to "save target as."

I tried it in IE and firefox. Is my computer deciphering this properly?

Maureen
Quicktime associates TIFF files to itself. To get around this, you can install a shareware program called "Internetiff", which can be found here:

http://www.internetiff.com/docs/try.htm

It wrestles the TIFF association away from Quicktime, so you can right-click Save As with no problem.

More information on this issue can be found here:

http://www.dot.co.pima.az.us/gis/web...fquicktime.htm

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureeno
I have a question: the file opens (for me) in QuickTime player with no option to "save target as."

I tried it in IE and firefox. Is my computer deciphering this properly?

Maureen
Right click on the photo link in the contest thread instead of clicking on the link to open it. That should give you the "Save as taget" option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM

T, unfortunately this problem with the Quicktime install prevents even the right-click Save As... option from working. The only options I know of are to uninstall QT, or install another program that resets the affected registry entries. Not everyone with QT will have this problem....for instance if they have installed a program that associates the TIFF entries sometime after installing QT.

The following might work - I haven't been able to fully test it yet, since I've already changed the association on my system:

Note that some versions of QuickTime are slightly different. Very old versions (before 4.1) are very different, and you might consider upgrading or uninstalling.

1) From the Start menu, select "Control Panel".
2) [Windows XP] If it says "Pick a category", click "Switch to Classic View" at the upper-left.
3) Double-click the "QuickTime" icon.
4) Click the "Browser" tab, or from the drop-down list, select "Browser Plug-in". Click the "MIME Settings" button.
5) Double-click the "Images ..." item to expand it.
6) If the "TIFF ..." or "image/tiff" item is checked, uncheck it.
7) Press the "OK" button, and close the "QuickTime Settings" window by clicking the X in the upper-right corner.

Would it be helpful to have any of this moved to another thread, like Help or Software?

- Kurt

Last edited by kschulz; 11-08-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:25 PM

I'd like to keep it here for now since it is relative to the contest. I may duplicate it in the help section later. Thanks for the tips!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM

Here is another option I found through a Google search:

Quote:
Viewing TIFF images:
If you have problems viewing TIFF images, you probably don't have the right viewer associated with that file extension. To correct that:
1. Save the TIFF image to your Desktop or anywhere else on your hard drive.
2. Right-click the TIFF file you just saved and go to Properties.
3. In the window that will open, under "Opens with:" click on Change.
4. In the new window under "Recommended Programs:" select either "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" or "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" (if you have Microsoft Office) and click OK twice. Those 2 applications will allow you to view the TIFF images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Perhaps it would help to have a set of core definitions to what is meant by, Restore, Retouch etc. that people can refer to when clarification is needed........
That's exactly what I'm working on!

Thanks to my constant nagging about definitions and promotion of occasional nitpikfests, I have been graciously "awarded" the position of Moderator for the "Glossary" forum. (Did you know that RP has a glossary forum?)

I haven't posted anything there yet, still thinking of how best to go about it. Come lunchtime, I'll post a "sticky" there with some ideas.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Patron

Some comments about the photo

The Photo that I submitted was scanned as a Tiff file. The artifacts where in the paper itself. The original photo was a 5 x 7 and scanned with no attempts to improve it.

I noticed Lorraine's excellent post today and it brings up a question of whether the skin of a baby should have a slightly redder tint than the one she posted. Just sort of wondering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
The Photo that I submitted was scanned as a Tiff file. The artifacts where in the paper itself. The original photo was a 5 x 7 and scanned with no attempts to improve it.

I noticed Lorraine's excellent post today and it brings up a question of whether the skin of a baby should have a slightly redder tint than the one she posted. Just sort of wondering.
Just a comment, all my children at 3 months or younger were quite a pinkish tone with rather thin looking skin. If I'd have observed any one of mine looking a little tanned, I'd have had them to the doctor's straight away for a billirubin count, lol. On the other end of the scale, if one of my child turned bluish (which one did), I'd be concerned about oxygen concentration and sats given it indicated cyanosis, lol, but then I am a mother of 6 kids so a worry wart by nature

Last edited by Cassidy; 11-09-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 AM

Phil, do you know if this is a baby boy or baby girl ? I've assumed girl due to the frilly jumper, but I can never tell for sure.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 08:18 AM

kshultz, the blanket on the edges is clearly a pink blanket
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests