Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2005, 04:36 PM
My best five are:

1- KSchulz
2- RooB
3- Bobdown
4- ChanchalBD
5- Lorraine

The selection was not easy but instead of concentrating on the restoration part I judged as a Mom or granny picking a portrait to place on her desk or favourite place. I looked for colouring of the baby skin, then little details like how was the restoration made of her leg and her dress.

There were many others that I liked but when looking at the foot and leg , they were missing something.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Red face

Ok 45 entries you want 5 votes almost impossible

Kept looking at them, trying to be objective, gave up and chose the ones I liked the look of best
Took "SOME" time.

1 Lorraine
2 loverly
3 kschulz
4 Bobdown
5 smats
Old 11-26-2005, 12:28 PM
My choices:

1) Cathsaigh- gray: very nice. Clean and dealt with the color issues in a different but acceptable way
2)Nurdant: nice skin tone, not overdone, not blown-out or too sharp, blended nicely with the overall picture - nice overall but the rug could have used a little more work IMO
3)Nancy J: a very nice rendition a thumb and a half up
4)terivon: nice picure and tone. Could not explain why this one caught my eye, but I liked it
5) twinkissed: cool !

My observation would be that the baby seemed to float from the background in many pictures- not tied to it somehow (shadow??). It also seemed that the skin and often the clothes were too "realistic or bright" for the age of the photo. However, it was a great contest and it was a pleasure to see so many people get into fixing the picture and discussing their methods of assessment.

I would go one step further and ask how people built up the skin on the baby? I would also like to know, in the discussion area, why people felt it was necessary to have the baby skin without blemish or shadow or if it was simply a personal "thang"

Old 11-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I apologize I'm doing this away from home and can't keep logged in for some reason so I can't give all my comments. I can't go back and forth between them. If I can I'll add why I picked these when I get back.

1. jaime - color is great and lines are clean, just overall the one that stood out to me
2. Bobdown - this one was almost a tie with jaime
3. mrtennet -
4. lorraine -
5. lazz_gurra - a little too smooth but I liked the coloring
Old 11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
November Votes

Congratulations to everyone for such nice entries. Here are my votes.

1. Lorraine
2. kshulz
3. byRo
4. marthig
5. nurdant

Old 11-26-2005, 06:45 PM
An extremely difficult task
1. KShultz
2. BobDown
3. PeterS
4. lhines
5. rolffimages
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 AM
November Votes

Well here is my selection from many fine entries.
1.) Lazze-Gurra
2.) L Hines
3.) K Shulz
4.) Lorraine
5.) By Ro

Daughter Regan who is now a graphic designer is proud of all the participants.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Well done everyone!!!

Having no idea whos picture belonged to who, can we kind all make a mental note to add your id to the picture so at least the ones like me can at least add names and not jpg names.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Great Work!!

Here are my votes:

Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 AM
So many great entries...this just doesn't get any easier.

My voting is based mostly on an accurate restoration. Looking for good definition, attention to details, lighting/shadows, clarity, believable reconstruction of leg and background, and skin tone. No points off for background color choice, since the actual color couldn't be determined for sure. I went with pink because I believed that is what it was and not by some personal preference, and I think that may be true for many of the others, so not a factor.

1. Lorraine - Great leg/foot replacement, clarity and details. Very good skin tone.

2. NancyJ - Again, the right leg/foot replacement is very good, especially the subtle changes to avoid the cloned look. The skin is a bit dark and splotchy, but well done overall.

3. Garazon - Good on clarity, brightness and saturation. Shadow on right leg doesn't seem to match the lighting.

4. lhines - Well done. I like how the detail in the skin is maintained. Might've rated higher if the right leg size was a closer match to the left, and maybe less saturated. To me, the skin color of the legs looks different than the upper portion.

5. Bobdown - The soft light, contrast and low saturation make this one very different from the rest. Very good restoration with variety.

For those that decided to go more "creative" by (re)moving the rattle, changing the clothing, adding flowers, sepia toning, etc., great job! I thought your entries were fantastic - just strayed too far from the criteria. All very well done!

- Kurt
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests