Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Nov 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Nov 05 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 24 Nov to 30 Nov 2005. Deadline for votes is 6pm EST 30 Nov 2005.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments to the Nov 05 Discussion Thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Martha (Marthig) has been kind enough to set up a photo album of the entries:

Nov Entries

Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I see several people didn't follow the rules when naming their files...going to make it hard to vote for them if you don't know who they are.....

Originally Posted by T Paul

3. When you submit your entry put your username in the filename (ie: tpaul.jpg). This is so users can save the images to a local directory and remember who did what--important when it comes time to vote.
Please take the time to look up their username if you vote for them otherwise it will make tallying the votes a bit difficult.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 PM
thank you, T and thank you, martha!

here's my votes:

1. kshulz
2. lorraine
3. PeterS
4. lazze_gurra
5. garazon

there were a LOT of very worthy entries! i wasnt real keen on leaving the drool, but since it was a restoration, i didnt mark off for that one. a number of folks i disqualified because of the right foot and leg treatment. i was also hesitant in picking ones that didnt match up with my idea of what 'sheepskin' looks like, but again, i didnt mark off much for that; it was the baby, afterall, that mattered most.

i thought some of the entries where items were added were quite good. loved the shoes and loved the flower, but in the end, because this was so tight, i did end up marking off for not being a straight restoration. i know, i know, but i had to pick only 5, so, gimme a break here.

a couple forgot to do a bit of sharpening on the baby and it showed when compared to those that had done this.

i gave a fair amount of leeway with color, especially skin color, but a couple of folks got cut for 'too yellow', 'too red', 'too ruddy', or something else along those lines.

so, in the end, for me, it was mostly 'how's the baby look?' and then how's the rest of it and my votes are based on that.

good luck all!

Old 11-25-2005, 12:06 AM
And my vote goes toward:

1. kschulz
2. PhotoB
3. Bobdown
4. Nurdant
5. Garazon

I voted mostly on how much detail/crispness was left in the image, and how much difference/variation there was in the foot clone.

BTW, there's two pictures with my name on it posted in that gallery-- I only did the one with the slightly pink background.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Well well well. Tricky one for me to judge. On the one hand there's the restoration and on the other hand there was the challenge of making it look like a professional studio shot. I kinda feel (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of people maybe assumed that this was a professional photo and therefore went about the restoration process, staying faithful to the original.

But in fact this was not a professional shoot. (I mean absolutely no offence by this remark Phil) A professional wouldn't leave a rattle in the frame, would wipe away any drool and would straighten clothing/ They would also make sure that the background complimented the subject so as to make the subject the 'hero'of the picture.

So, some people went further with the studio job and others went further with the restoration... bottom line - you must start witht a good restoration. From there you try and make it look professional. No one really'nailed it in my opinion but nevertheless there were some outstanding restorations. And this is how I saw it.

1. kschulz - really nice restoration... sensitive to the subject. I did feel that bubs melted into the background a little though.

2. Ro - Would have been first if it weren't that I felt there was a bit too much magenta in the skin tones. I like the fact that you lost the rattle and I really liked the way you made baby's foot push up the sheepskin.

3. Shalford - Nice thinking - tucking the rattle underneath the foot. Great job of the restoration.

4. NancyJ - a very close fourth Nancy... a few tell-tale signs in the sheepskin but hardly noticeable.

5. Mr Tennant - again nice restoration and the darkening of the edges was a popular technique of the day. Just a little grainy or something... couldn't quite put my finger on it. But a nice job mate.

Garazon, I've got to say your image was really nice as well but there were some strange masking impressions or something that left discoloured area on close inspection... something to look out for in future.

Well done all... it took me an hour and a half to arrive at my votes... was very close!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Here are my votes

1.kschulz - very nice job, clean and crisp looking
2.lorraine - very good job on the foot IMO, overall image good
3.PeterS - I liked the color of the sheepskin and if it had been more even, would probably have voted this higher
4.Ro - I also liked the way the foot pushed the sheepskin, overall image is good but just appears a little too dark in areas
5.PhotoB - I like the overall colors a lot but there were several scratches/creases that need to be fixed and prevented this from rating higher.

Very difficult time trying to judge these. I tried to keep in mind what I considered the end product, something Mom or Dad would put on their desk, and still keep to the "restoration" classification, so that cut a few out from the start, although there were elements of every entry that I liked. Great job everyone.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Here is my vote. Based it primarily on skin tone, sharpness, and overall pleasing impression. I thought many entries had too much black in the skin for a baby.
1. Jaime - good skin tones, nice and sharp and good color choice on the fur.
2.PeterS - also good but not quite as sharp.
3.Lorraine - nice skin tones and great fur. Rattle could have had more saturation.
4.kschultz - baby was nicely done but lost points on overall impression with the colored fur,
5.Marthig - nice job with skin and fur but not sharp enough.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Why is voting in each contest becoming more difficult? There are so many excellent entries that it’s almost impossible to pick 5.

So, to judge this contest, I resorted to the “restore” criteria and had to eliminate any entries that were unnecessarily manipulated. I’m sorry about that for there was great work done in those entries. Also, I voted for those that I thought had the most realistic details, contrast, skin tone and clarity.

I’ve picked:

1. kschulz – I found everything in this restore to be perfect. Most of all, the baby’s eyes are spectacular.

2. PeterS – Great work all around. I voted second place for this because the baby’s features and skin seem a little flat compared to that of my first place vote.

3. garazon -- Good skin tones and overall contrast. The blanket looks so soft, but I wish there was more color in it. The reconstructed big toe lacks some realistic detail which I why I put this in third place.

4. byRo – Good colors, tones and clarity. Nice work on covering the foot with the blanket. The skin is not as smooth as those that I rated higher.

5. mrtennet – Excellent restore and reconstruction of the foot. Skin is great, but the photo looks a little dark to me.

Congratulations to everyone who entered because each entry has remarkable work.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:29 PM

1. Lorraine
2. Mr Tennet
3. Kshulkz
4 Bob Down
5 Peter S
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests