RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Feb 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:35 AM

My top five selections were based primarily on the realism of the retouch/restoration. Minimizing the focus on the mother’s face was secondary, but still an important, factor in my decision.

1. Videosean – The clarity and colors are exceptional. It looks like the photo was “taken yesterday.”

2. twinbnj -- A great job all around. Good restoration, nice colors and wonderful soft fading of the edges of the photo.

3. Cazubi -- Very realistic. Keeping the entire photo intact helped to take my eye away from the missing mother.

4. RooB – Nice restoration, crisp looking and good colors.

5. Cathsaigh -- Another nice restoration. Crisp and clean. The vibrant pink of the mother’s gown, however, kind of takes something away from the photo.

I really like Peth’s version, but the baby’s eyes are closed in it, and they aren’t in the original. RL Design’s and HannibalVector’s are also favorites.

Great work everyone. I wish I could have voted for all of your entries.

Lorraine
Old 02-23-2006, 04:53 AM

First to explain why I voted the way I did.

Quote:
This is a Restoration and Portrait Retouch: The final imge should look like it was shot yesterday, by a professional photographer, straight out of the camera
This was the spec given to us by Ro, and I'm sorry to say that I had to disregard some excellent entries because they did not fit with the spec given.

My favourite picture of all was by Peth, but cannot be in my votes because of the reasons just stated.

So here are my votes.

1st Cazubi Good colour rendition, has been softened, but not enough to lose detail. For me the most life like.
2nd Videosean Not sure about the date stamp being legit, but overlooked it, as it was a fine effort. Lost some of Cazubi's detail, hence 2nd.
3rd Shalford Liked the vertical crop, good detail on the baby's wrap, bit blown out on the whites.
4th Roob Bit over smooth for me and again top end whites a bit blown, but nice feel to the picture.
5th Hannibal Vector Contrast a little high for my liking, but again, good colour and didn't over soften.

I have to say in closing that Ro is a sadist, and obviously must count Torquemada amongst his forefathers. This was a horrible picture, and anyone who attempted it is to be commended. I don't know that anyone got it to look like it was shot yesterday by a Professional photographer, but there were some valiant efforts.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Patron

Votes

I ranked higher those that did not do aggressive cropping on the toughest part of the image.

My votes:

1.) VideoSean
2.) Cathsaigh
3.) Roob
4.) Doug Calwell
5.) Hannibel Vector
Old 02-23-2006, 05:26 AM

[HIJACK]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
I have to say in closing that Ro is a sadist, and obviously must count Torquemada amongst his forefathers.
At first I amost thought that you were talking about the guy from the Spanish Inquisition ("No one expects....."). But aside the fact that I now speak Portuguese, my blood is generations-old blue!

Then I discovered (thank you, Google / Wiki) that you must actually be talking about Edward (Bill) Powys Mathers, the father of today's cryptic crosswords, who's puzzles (under the name of Torquemada) ran from 1926 to 1939 in the Observer.

So must I infer that you are, in fact, praising the "cryptic" nature of this month's competition and wishing that this be the first in a long line.....

I thank you, and assure you that your wish shall be attended.
[/HIJACK]

(P.S. Only kidding (?))
Old 02-23-2006, 10:29 AM

Old 02-23-2006, 11:32 AM

1. Lorraine (first place)
2. HannibalVector (second place)
3. Shalford (and so on...)
4. Videosean (and so on...)
5. Cathsaigh (and so on...)

Old 02-23-2006, 11:34 AM

LOL, I downloaded all, did my choise, and never read "if you don't enter the contest, your vote will be deleted". Shame on me !!!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM

No problem, the vote won't be counted.
But next time enter the contest, OK

(actually, voting is the harder part )

Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 PM

Yes, I downloaded the pic and start working on it, but RP it's huge!!!, and I where in the Tutorials all month, so no time to work on the baby.

And I agree, this contest was sadist
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 AM

Well a re-read of the rules pretty well invalidates any picture with a frame as this takes away the 'wet pixels' aspect. This also nicely culls the valid entries from a discretionary point which is both a help and a shame. So based on this I think I have found 5.

1. Cazubi (I think looks most natural)
2. Videosean (slight plasticity look and date detracted, sorry)
3. Lorraine (looks plastic to me also, sorry)
4. HannibalVector (baby too dusky for my liking, would be looking for an oxygen bottle.
5. ajava (shame about the distortion)

This is in no way a knock, but I don't think anyone actually managed a 'professional' looking photo but given the material to work with, everyone deserves great praise and acknowledgement in my mind....was trully a hard ask.

As a final note, twinkissed, beautiful on my monitor but unfortunately you made my cull list.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests