2. cazubi - Your linens look dirty to me and I don't like that but I kept coming back to yours. I'm not sure why but there's something I like about it. It could be the baby's face having some strange color variance to it... it's hard for me to tell if it's on purpose or not and at first glance I thought it was a bad thing, but then I thought about the pictures I have seen of newborns minutes after birth. They do have blotchy looking skin sometimes (for lack of a better way of describing what I mean) and when I thought about that it didn't seem so unnatural to me anymore.
3. RL_Design - A great image, but it doesn't look like something that could be taken for fresh out of a camera to me. I think it looks maybe like a colorized black and white print and a very good one at that.
4. Gary Richardson - Quite true to the original image I think. There's grainy detail that I like but the overall color is too yellow for my taste. You have a blue headboard(?) for the bed... having been in very few hospitals myself I don't know how likely it is that it was blue but I like it.
5. Cassidy - I like the treatment with the soft/frosted glass looking frame. Of all the borders added to this image I think I like your style the best. I think I can see some smudged pixels in the baby's forehead though and in general the skin looks a little smoother than I like. There's also some jagginess here and there - in between the baby's earlobe and fingers being the strongest example - those could be jpeg artifacts or pixels that didn't get the same level of blurring or smoothing as the rest of the image.
Overall I think anyone who attempted this deserves credit of some kind I'm a total noob here but I can tell from the comments that I wasn't alone in thinking this was a great/terrible challenge. I actually see old negatives quite often where I work. Very, very few people have ever looked at their prints from these old negs that I would put in a category with this one and asked for a restoration and I'm quite alright with that.
There are some very nice images in this contest with some nice enhancements, but I made my picks from the ones that I felt most tried to adhere to the rules.
Nice work everyone.
Feb06 Contest Votes
This is my first time voting. I have been philosophically against the whole idea of voting, but since I received some votes - I felt complelled to fully participate. Anyway, here are my votes. I tend to like simplicity, sharp over soft, and clean lines (the complete opposite of how I live my life).
1. HannibalVector: I would kill to learn this sharpening technique. The one weakness: the lady appears to have a case of "man-hands".
2. VideoSean: Next best.
3. Cazubi: (In the spirit of honest and complete disclosure, I would have voted myself here in this spot). I like the yellow blanket and the gentle "hand" used for the retouch
4. Ajava: After the first three, it became very difficult for me to choose. Liked this one; however.
5. SWEngineer. Although I think the border wounded the picture, I think the re-touch was excellent.
1.Gary Richardson - best salvage of original (though still a bit yellow).
2.Videosean - nice and clear (not sure about the date).
3.Cazubi - very natural look (a bit of a green tinge overall).
4.Roob - good colouring (a little blue around the teeth).
5.Cathsaigh - nice work on baby clothes (not sure about the pink).
One of the most important thing for me was the facial expression and recognition of the persons in the photo.
The purpose of retouching this kind of photo is that family,relatives and acquaints have an anhanced piece of memory that reminds them of how the person looked several years ago.
Some of you did a realy great job on the colors (where I had a lot of trouble with) but made alterations on the facial expression and recognition. I think that by some pictures even the mother is not able to recognize her own son. Sorry, no votes.I also think that the B&W route was the easy fix. No votes either.
Overall image looks great, especially the colors.
Great colors also, don't like the border.
Colors look excellent, very fresh looking image, but you changed the eyes.Looks almost as if the baby has blue eyes, in the original they are brown.
Overall image looks good, colors not so good as the ones above.
Overall image looks good, good colors, only a bit to blurry.
But I think everyone else did een pretty good job on this sadistic challenge.
Almost forgot to vote!!
1. Cazubi - close with my number 2 spot...both seem to honor the contest guidelines very well and the color/sharpness look great
2. HannibalVector - see comments above...hard to choose whose I liked better
3. VideoSean - really looks like a photo taken yesterday. Nice job
4. SWEngineer - this was my first choice, until I really started reviewing the entries. Great color, wish Mom was kept in the photo more
5. TwinbNJ - a bit too old looking (dark coloring, I think) but really looks like a portrait to me.
Overall, I thought this was a great contest! And, as my first contest and first try at a restoration, I don't think I could've asked for a better learning experience. Nice job, folks!!
Thank you for voting folks.
I'm not sure if this is some sort of record, but our runaway champion this month recieved at least 1 vote from all participants.
Here is the top five:
1) 80 - Videosean
2) 45 - Cazubi
3) 38 - HannibalVector (special newbie welcome! )
4) 31 - cathsaigh
5) 22 - SWEngineer (beat Lorraine by 1 vote)
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|June 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||12||06-30-2007 03:59 PM|
|Mar 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||16||03-31-2007 06:50 PM|
|Feb 07 Contest Votes||T Paul||Contests||16||02-27-2007 05:14 PM|
|Feb 07 Contest||T Paul||Contests||15||02-20-2007 09:51 PM|
|Feb 06 Contest||byRo||Contests||28||02-21-2006 09:34 AM|