RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Mar 06 Contest Discussion

Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 AM

I would preffer black background on the car, but rules are rules.

Also it was for a catalog, and most catalogs are done in White background, ok, this was a great contest
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 12:17 AM

hi

hi, I'm new in here
Just saw the contest yesterday and started working on it immediately. I couldn't decide if I should go for tinted or plain windows.. the tinted ones would hide the details inside, so eventually I decided to go for a bit of both
The entries so far are amazing, its going to be real hard to judge.. hehe
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 AM

Haven't had time this month to enter the contest, but I'd just like to express my admiration of all the entries I've seen.

Not an easy one by any means, with so many lights and reflections to remove and harmonise. T has definitely been mixing with the wrong sorts of people (Ro), and has picked up a sadistic streak I never knew she had.

Good luck everybody, hope to be able to take part in next months contest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:56 PM

Welcome Retouchpix

Nice to have you here. I've just seen your website... very nice work indeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM

Fun!

I've never had so much fun assembling 83 Photoshop layers before...

I think the reason I was so merge-resistant was because I knew it would make a cool Flash layer-based animation after the fact. If only I coulld post a 3.6 MB file here.

All in all, a great contest!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocoroba
To prepare the 1999 Ferrari 355 Spider for the catalog listing.........
Its not a Spider, it is a Ferrari 355 F1 Berlinetta!

I would like to see your Flash animation though! Maybe you can upload it to an imagehost or something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13 PM

My apologies for the mistake

I stand corrected. The Spider is a convertible and the Berlinetta is the hardtop version of the same car.

Thanks for that clarification!

I'll make the Flash file available via email to anyone who would like a copy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Flash animation

Hello all,

Just to let you know that the Flash animation of the Ferrari retouching is available via FTP. It's a 4.62 MB Zip archive located at:

ftp.smithphoto.com
User: retouch
Password: ferrari

For best appearance, scale your browser window so the car appears to be about 800 px wide, like the entries.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Pocoroba; 03-26-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 PM

Lightbulb Professional photography

Thought the members might like to see a vehicle that was just shot in our studio. No street had to be taken off the car. It's just a studio lit shot. Almost no retouching here except the shadow (rendered from the existing shadow), details inside the grill and a couple of minor reflections removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJ1.jpg (72.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Thanks Pocoroba

For your detailed and knowledgable comments. There's no doubting your expertise in this area.

However I absolutely must take issue with your comment on borrowed items. You are correct to say it's common practice but I need to point out that if it was indeed for a catalogue than it's intended to aid in the sale of the vehicle. Therefore any retouching that doesn't represent the true nature of the vehicle would be counted as misrepresentation and open to court action... certainly in New Zealand. Imagine if someone came to buy the vehicle off the catalogue and the dash unit that was depicted in the picture didn't exist on the car. IN my country you could be up for a $70,000 commerce commission fine (including the company that retouched the car!). I'm sure the US must have similar guidelines.

If Infinites entry (or mine for that matter - as I replaced the tyres rather badly) was done for Ferrari as a client they would have spotted the rogue elements in an instant. Of course if the entries were purely for art's sake then we could be more relaxed. BY the way Infinite, I really liked yor entry which is why you got the mention.

The same theory can be applied to colour in some cases although this can be more forgiving. I agree that any colour can look lighter or darker depending on how it is lit this is something I have used to great effect in my work for Chrysler, Jeep and BMW. However this car was theoretically shot in a white studio and therefore the colour would naturally be lighter rather than darker. It's not impossible to get that effect through the lens but it's rare.

Just so you all don't get the idea that I'm talking through a hole in my rear end, I'm a Senior Art Director in the BBDO advertising network with 18 years experience. I'm not a professional retoucher, in fact I'm very much a hobbyist. But I do sit with and direct retouchers on a daily basis. If they get it wrong, I'm accountable.

Hannibal, I thought your entry was superb and if you ever choose to come to New Zealand's beautiful shores I wouldn't hesitate to hire your services. You are a true talent in my books. Mate, it's my job to be harsh.

Don't paticularly wish to start an arguement but this place is about learning isn't it? I only hope that I can learn enough to be as good as blokes like Hannibal in the future. I also want to point out that everyone here has different strengths and this is but one discipline. I have visited many of your websites and been very impressed by your work. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

T Paul, great contest... loved it and learned heaps. Look forward to your next task. Thanks for your work, we all appreciate it.

Last edited by Peth; 03-27-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests